Neighborhood Canal Fishing

Started by Capt. BassinLou, December 09, 2018, 06:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

The conditions in my neck of the woods are coming to together nicely. Water temps are down, vegetation is dying off, and the big girls, if you know where to look ;) are making themselves known. Never.... ever, think urban canals don't hold quality bass!!

Enjoy the pics!!

zippyduck

That is a nice one!  ~beer~

Now that makes me jealous, on my way to work there was snow on the ice on the ponds.  :(
All I can do now is spend money and clean gear.  :'(
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: zippyduck on December 09, 2018, 07:45:21 PM
That is a nice one!  ~beer~

Now that makes me jealous, on my way to work there was snow on the ice on the ponds.  :(
All I can do now is spend money and clean gear.  :'(
Thanks bud, I can't imagine the conditions you are dealing with right now.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 09, 2018, 07:47:13 PM
Thanks bud, I can't imagine the conditions you are dealing with right now.
Just say "IT SUCKS!!!"
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

I always wonder how far they travel to get to these specific spawning grounds. Bass are not like salmon in that they have a nose for where they were born and need to spawn there. They will spawn anywhere the conditions are right.

So do these bass end up in the canals and spend days on end cruising around?

I've seen canal fishing in Florida where the goal was to catch 8 thru 10 pounders. They simply drove around until they found one to catch.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

the_huber_show

Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 10, 2018, 09:57:29 AM
I always wonder how far they travel to get to these specific spawning grounds. Bass are not like salmon in that they have a nose for where they were born and need to spawn there. They will spawn anywhere the conditions are right.

So do these bass end up in the canals and spend days on end cruising around?

I've seen canal fishing in Florida where the goal was to catch 8 thru 10 pounders. They simply drove around until they found one to catch.

South FL consists of vast networks of freshwater canals that run for hundreds and hundreds of miles. These canals eventually make there way to the ocean. Bass will utilize these canals as highways to move around from place to place, similar to how they tend to move around in lakes.

Canals however can be effected by a host of issues at any given day. Construction, dredging, rain runoff, etc.. thus effecting bass behavior and potentially driving them away from an area all together. One stretch of canal can be different from another stretch of canal down the road let's say.

What does this all mean?

There is very good reason why the people you have seen in FL hunting Trophy Bass will drive from canal to canal.  Reason being, some canals are more conducive than others in attracting  BIG BASS similar to how certain parts of a lake will attract Big Bass. Learning and understanding how these bass live in these canals, can yield you a nice Trophy Catch when you least expect it. 

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Wizard

That came out of that little ditch? Florida is a very long state. How far south are you? Miami, Key West, Sarasota?

Wizard

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Wizard on December 11, 2018, 01:43:27 PM
That came out of that little ditch? Florida is a very long state. How far south are you? Miami, Key West, Sarasota?

Wizard
I live in the Miami area, and no, these fish did not come from a ditch. This particular canal is about 12-15 yards wide by 6-10feet deep, and runs for miles and miles. Other canals in the area can be 3 times as wide and deep. These are considered major canals that run to the ocean.

Deadeye

Sweet Catches Lou.

Up here it's COLD, going down into the 30's at night and maybe getting back to 50-60 during the afternoon.

Supposed to get a break over the next couple of days.

Oldfart9999

Our canal was drained, they do it every year to pull out the cars, guns, safes and bodies that are tossed in it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.