Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First thing you throw?  (Read 1101 times)

Bankbeater56

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
First thing you throw?
« on: October 28, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »

Question, you get to a new pond our lake what are you looking for and what's the first thing you throw? Now I understand time of day plays a big factor in that decision but I'm wondering what is your thought process on finding fish?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTodd

• Charter Member
Re: First thing you throw?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »

I want to know how aggressive the fish are so Iíll throw something like a buzz bait....something that moves fairly quick.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »

Weedy:  Frog
Sparse weeds: spinnerbait
No weeds; whopper plopper
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

BrandonK

• Largemouth
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 05:21:45 PM »

Noisy topwater

weightless Texas rig or 1/8 oz finesse jig to shallow cover

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »

You're really asking two questions here and the second one might depend on the answer to the first. All other things being considered like weather and sky conditions, temp etc...................

So, question 1 - What do you look for:

I look for several things. First I look for any signs of visible cover. Next I look to see if there are any other forms of wildlife active in or out of the water. Then I look at water color.

Question 2 - What do you throw first - If there is visible cover present I will throw either a crankbait or a jig depending on the type and location  of the cover. I choose the color based on the water color from step one. I prefer the crank if I can get away with it and it helps me cover water to gauge if the fish are active ( this is also aided by whether any other animal life is active in the area from question one).

If there is no visible cover present The crank will again get my first nod for the reason stated above. If that doesn't produce then I will throw something like a jig or a Carolina rig to tell me what kind of cover/structure might be there that I can't see and to get an idea of depth changes etc.

At that point I will know how the bottom is laid out and what's down there and I can make a decision on how to go from there.  :-*

Supporting Companies: Dobyns Rods Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 07:06:38 PM »

way back in my pond fishing days and because i did not have money for only a couple of lures, i caught many bass on a doll fly either by itself or a small piece of red worm added.  it caught many bass out of the pond and it fit my pocket book.

bo

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »

GOOD STUFF BO!

My FIRST thing on a pond is water clarity, every time, no matter what. #2 is water temps (season). I then factor all these other great tips in and go from there.

If I was told that I only could pick ONE bait to start with no matter the conditions it'd probably be a spinnerbait.
If you wanna hear God laugh, tell him your plans...

Bankbeater56

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »

You're really asking two questions here and the second one might depend on the answer to the first. All other things being considered like weather and sky conditions, temp etc...................

So, question 1 - What do you look for:

I look for several things. First I look for any signs of visible cover. Next I look to see if there are any other forms of wildlife active in or out of the water. Then I look at water color.

Question 2 - What do you throw first - If there is visible cover present I will throw either a crankbait or a jig depending on the type and location  of the cover. I choose the color based on the water color from step one. I prefer the crank if I can get away with it and it helps me cover water to gauge if the fish are active ( this is also aided by whether any other animal life is active in the area from question one).

If there is no visible cover present The crank will again get my first nod for the reason stated above. If that doesn't produce then I will throw something like a jig or a Carolina rig to tell me what kind of cover/structure might be there that I can't see and to get an idea of depth changes etc.

At that point I will know how the bottom is laid out and what's down there and I can make a decision on how to go from there.  :-*

the_huber_show

• Ultimate Basser
  • The Skunk Master
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »

Here lately for me it's been a chatter bait.  But honestly it normally depends on what is already tied on from the last trip :)
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Bassinlou

• If you ain't froggin you ain't fishing ;)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 05:21:20 PM »

Assuming the conditions are ideal, I will first go look for shallow water with good amount of cover, above and below the water. My top 4 baits for this scenario would be: frog, Uvibes, Spinnerbaits, and/or a swimjig with a swimbait trailer.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders zone
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »

My order of baits is based on what I am presented with. If only allowed one choice to start my bait probably would be a jig. Just to versatile not to. I can have a enormous amount of presentations with the one bait.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here.

redux

• Smallmouth
  • Shut up and fish.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »

I'll pitch a jig with a creature bait around first and then I'll use it as a swim jig.
You can't win of you're not in.

V1hyp

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 06:06:25 AM »

I'm a sucker for top water. I usually always start off with a Buzz Bait for most of the year...

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 07:43:25 AM »

I'll usually start with a topwater lure. THen work my way down the water column. All 4 feet of the water column lol  ~bb
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 25 queries.