Gonna try for some Steelhead on Saturday

Started by CybrSlydr, December 12, 2018, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CybrSlydr

Haven't been fishing for them in almost a year and with my finals over for the semester on Thursday, Saturday sounds like as good a day as any to head north.

Currently looking at the Vermilion river at Jerusalem road.

It's about a 3hr drive.  Weather looks to be high in the low 40s and the river is currently around 125cfs.  Optimum is between 100 and 250.  Figure if I leave around 8am or so, get me there a little after 11, if there's ice, it should be melted off by the sun by then.  Pick up some salmon hooks and spawn sacs somewhere up north and I should be good to go!

Fingers crossed - I've never caught a steelhead before.
Jordan

the_huber_show

Never fished those before but sounds like fun!

Good luck
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

zippyduck

The water will be clear. Use single eggs and small flies like crystal meth and sucker spawn.
Use just enough weight to keep it on the bottom.
Other option is squarebills in orange and pink colors.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

CybrSlydr

Quote from: zippyduck on December 12, 2018, 11:00:54 AM
The water will be clear. Use single eggs and small flies like crystal meth and sucker spawn.
Use just enough weight to keep it on the bottom.
Other option is squarebills in orange and pink colors.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Zippy!  Appreciate the input!
Jordan

Lipripper

Good luck and them things are fun to catch. It's been years since I've been Steelhead fishing. Here's one that my friend Walt caught on one of our trips.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

mygreenihc

If I leave now I can be there by Saturday morning to ride with you!

I have never seen one of those.  We have a few trout streams around my house,  and I have caught some of them,  but we don't have anything like that picture.

I would love to fish for those,  but a salmon is on my bucket list.
Brad

Lipripper

Quote from: mygreenihc on December 12, 2018, 03:21:59 PM
If I leave now I can be there by Saturday morning to ride with you!

I have never seen one of those.  We have a few trout streams around my house,  and I have caught some of them,  but we don't have anything like that picture.

I would love to fish for those, but a salmon is on my bucket list.
Brad
I have caught plenty of them also. ;D

mygreenihc

I can see already that I am going to have to come visit you!

I love the tie.  It appears to me that the difference in fishing in the south vs fishing in the north,  is attire.  I fish in shorts,  nothing else,  at all, except maybe a cap.  but I see pictures of fishing in the north and everyone is dressed like its cold or something.

I just sent you a PM.

Brad

Lipripper

Quote from: mygreenihc on December 12, 2018, 03:44:55 PM
I can see already that I am going to have to come visit you!

I love the tie.  It appears to me that the difference in fishing in the south vs fishing in the north,  is attire.  I fish in shorts,  nothing else,  at all, except maybe a cap.  but I see pictures of fishing in the north and everyone is dressed like its cold or something.

I just sent you a PM.

Brad
Brad that last picture was from my trip up to Alaska several years ago to go fishing with one of our members who use to live up that way. (Silver Salmon) and that tie was a throw back to our old NAFC BB where I was in charge of keeping track of all the miles it traveled between members. In order foe you to get it you had to promise to have fun and take it fishing and post a picture of you wearing it and holding a fish. ;D

CybrSlydr

The more I think about it, I don't think I'm going to make the trip this weekend.  I can't find anyone else to go with me and 3hrs is a long trip one-way.

I think I'm just going to stick to one of my relatively local reservoirs or something like that instead.
Jordan

Oldfart9999

That type of fishing is pretty big up here. I tried it few times but the shore and piers get very crowded and I didn't care for it. A lot of money is spent on trout and salmon fishing but not like when it was at it's peak, we had the ESLO Derby that drew thousands of boats for trolling, the grand prize was a Grady White fishing boat about 30 feet of big lake trolling machine. 40-50 thousand dollars, this was in the 80s and 90s. The derby covered all of Lake Ontario and there were official weigh stations along the length of the lake , it was a huge deal. A friend and another buddy and I were fishing one of the bays and we decided to head out onto the lake and put the boat owners downriggers to work, that didn't last long, it looked like a demolition derby with boats everywhere and nobody was following the rules of the road.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.