Sierra 693SF

Started by RocBass, December 12, 2018, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RocBass

I just ordered a Sierra 693SF, as they are on sale now and I have heard great things about Dobyns Rods.  I mainly fish from a kayak and therefore a rod that is less than 7' is better for me.  I intend to use this for shakeyhead and t rigged worm applications; however, will this also be a rod that I can use for the ned rig?

Also, just curious - is the Sierra line being phased out?  Reason I'm asking is that it seems to be heavily discounted. 

I can't wait tor good weather in say 5 months here in NY to try this rod.  Thanks in advance for advice and information on this rod.

CybrSlydr

I had the 692SF and loved it - don't have it because I broke it and upgraded to a ChampXP casting rod!

With Neds, you typically want the lightest jig possible so it's as natural looking a presentation as possible I believe - I used 1/10th oz jigheads with 3" TRDs.  I'm wondering if the 3 power rod might be a bit too stiff for ned rigs.
Jordan

RocBass

Cybr Thanks for your help
How did your 692 break?

RocBass

Also - Saw your post from a few days ago about replacing your 692 that was answered by Gary D. which gives additional great advice (I should have looked there first)  I will look to get a 692 to go along with the 693.  Presently using SC Mojo 68MXF spinning.

Thanks so much for your help.

fishballer06

3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

Looks like you found some answers already if you need more help just let us know.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

dunnuckt

My go to Ned Rig rod is a Sierra 702SF which works well when fishing out of my kayak.

RocBass

dunnuckt Thanks for the information.  I like a little shorter rod for kayak fishing and it's also a little easier to transport in my vehicle.  The 6'9' 2 power should work for finesse for me.

Also for Mike Cork - do you know why some retailers are selling these rods at such a discount?  Is the Sierra line going to be phased out?

CybrSlydr

Quote from: RocBass on December 13, 2018, 05:39:08 AM
Also - Saw your post from a few days ago about replacing your 692 that was answered by Gary D. which gives additional great advice (I should have looked there first)  I will look to get a 692 to go along with the 693.  Presently using SC Mojo 68MXF spinning.

Thanks so much for your help.

No problem!  Hard to beat when you can get advice from the man himself, eh?  I think it's beyond incredible we get Gary posting here.

FWIW, I loved that 692SF.  I'm going to get another one in the future - or, if I have the spare $$, get the ChampXP version instead to pair with my baitcaster.

The one regret I have with the 692SF was the reel I used.  I love it and it's solid as hell and feels great - a Penn Battle II 4000 - but it's so dang heavy!  I bought an Okuma Inspira (I think?) 2500 size reel to go with it but as light as it was, it just felt flimsy.  I really wish I had a lighter reel to pair with it.
Jordan

Gary Dobyns

The Sierra Series is alive and well. These are NOT being fazed out.  We were asked about being a participant in the Christmas sale and I had extras in Sierra Series so we chose that one. The extra promotion we receive will be worth it too.

The SA 693 SF is the one I'd of recommended as soon as you said Shaky Head. I believe you have the right rod. Congrats on a great deal and Thanks for business!!

RocBass

Gary - Thanks so much. I got the 693 and also decided to get the 692 as well since the deal was too good to pass up.  I will be able to start using these next May here in NY and if the reputation of these hold true, you will be surely get a positive review from me.
Thanks again, have a great Christmas.