Turn a long arm spinnerbait into a short arm

Started by saltystick, December 23, 2018, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltystick

Years ago I had an idea - cut off part of the arm of a long arm sb, made another loop for the swivel and blade and used it like a skirted jig. Beetle spins are nothing more than short arm spinnerbaits and do catch bass:

Back when pork frogs were king of the trailers, I wanted a different presentation using a skirted lure. (I've noticed not too many anglers seem to suggest using short arm spinnerbaits or use plastic chunk trailers similar to a pork frog.)   

I also applied black nail polish on the #4 Colorado blade and tied on a black living rubber skirt. (Silicone skirts weren't invented yet.) A #11 black pork frog was used as trailer which gave the lure a different profile and a flapping action on the drop. Bass jumped all over it on the drop near steep banks - shore, point or hump and when jigged like a jig.

It's been awhile since I've used it but I guess it's time. Guess I'll have to pour some frogs from the molds I made of pork frogs before Uncle Josh went out of business (though many other trailer will do):

muzz