2019 Tracker PT 175 60 HP Taking On Water

Started by Thornback, December 25, 2018, 04:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burbarry

Thanks for the picture now it makes sense. Hope you can now get out and fish without worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thornback

I'm now in the process of altering the gas filler base that's located in the transom well so as to make it waterproof. Once finished with the waterproofing I'll post some before and after photos. Meanwhile here's a photo of my boat.

Thornback

I'm now in the process of organizing my notes and photos regarding my quest to find my leak. As soon as I have everything ready I'll post a link for members to read and view.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Thornback on December 30, 2018, 09:36:09 AM
I'm now in the process of altering the gas filler base that's located in the transom well so as to make it waterproof. Once finished with the waterproofing I'll post some before and after photos. Meanwhile here's a photo of my boat.

Nice looking boat Thorn. Enjoy!!

Thornback

Folks, I had the boat out on a lake today, warmed up the outboard, then run about 2 miles at 35 MPH. I saw a small amount of water in the bilge. I repeat, I saw water in the bilge. Later after fishing for a time I ran another 2 miles at 35 MPH. I then stopped the boat, turned on the bilge pump, looked over the transom, and saw about a gallon of water pumped out. I guess it's back to the drawing board on this one.

Bud Kennedy

Sounds like you are gonna have to go after the plumbing.    ~xyz ~xyz ~xyz

Thornback

I'm going to a lake in 3 days with a friend. I'll plug all the transom holes with expandable plugs, plug the pitot hole, and while my friend runs the boat I'll use a flashlight to observe the bilge and plumbing. I also have a water pressure gauge but don't know how to plug it up. I have petitioned off the bilge so i can see if water starts building in the forward or aft part of the boat and also see if it starts on the starboard or port side. Now I know why the boat comes with a bilge pump  :help:

Thornback

This morning I plugged all the transom holes with expansion plugs and also put the plug in the live well. I also taped over the pitot hole on the LU. With the boat on the ramp I removed the drain plug to be sure the bilge was dry. I replaced the plug and launched the boat. After a run of about 2 miles at 25 MPH I could see water in the bilge. During another run with a friend driving I used a flashlight to observe the inside of the transom and the bilge but didn't see any water leaks. when we stopped I turned on the bilge pump and pumped out about a half gallon of water. Water seems to be building up in the aft part of the boat. Several hours later back at the ramp with the boat on the trailer I pulled the drain plug and about a gallon of water poured out. I believe there are now only 3 places for the water to enter the boat: 1--the lower motor mount bolt holes; 2--the hull; the tube for the water pressure gauge. I'm not sure which tube is for the gauge so I can crimp it. The hull looks solid but I'm going to jack up one side at a time and check the hull where it rests on the bunk boards. If the hull checks out OK I think I'll ask the dealer to remount/reseal the motor.

Thornback

Yesterday I checked the hull where the boat rests on the bunk boards. Hull was clean and slick as a whistle. This morning I launched at a lake and made 6 half-mile runs at 30 MPH each and being careful to gradually slow down each time to prevent water coming over the transom. During each run I was observing paper towels placed in the bilge on each quadrant of the temporary "dam" I had put in place in the bilge. The "dam" is more to the aft part of the boat at the same location as the seats. During the 6th run I noticed the two pieces of paper towel behind the "dam" were getting damp. This confirms, after many, many tests, that the boat leaks: 1--at only fast speed; 2--the leak is in the stern. I now suspect the motor mount bolt holes in the transom. I spoke with the dealer and they have agreed to remove the motor and inspect the transom. I may also ask them to raise the motor one hole. They agreed to do the job by appointment so I could be there to observe. I will call them next week to set up the appointment. Here's a photo showing the 4 pieces of a paper towel in the bilge with the two rear pieces beginning to show dampness . . .

Bud Kennedy

I am hoping you don't discover that the problem might be a cracked weld.  It is a known problem on some hulls.  This problem is also now invading some of the Ranger Aluminum boats.  For some reason, I can't get off the initial thought pertaining to hull stress factors.  This would also point to potential weld issues.

Thornback

Well when you don't know exactly where the leak is originating from then you do have to consider a weld. I have looked over the welds and the paint covering them and they look beautiful. Maybe when the motor is removed the place of the leak will be obvious. If not and the motor is remounted/sealed and the leak still appears that leaves only the welds.

Deadeye

First thing I would check at this point is every Clamp on Every Fitting in the Bilge Area. If even one is leaking it will allow water to seep in and with the Vortex Effect at higher speed the suction could produce more water than a slower speed would.

I had the same issue in my Ranger, couldn't figure out why sometimes I had water and other nothing. Went over all the clamps and found several that had worked loose. Tightened them all and BOOM, leak stopped.

Try it and see it if don't work for you.

Thornback

Thanks for your suggestion and it's a logical one. That was the first place i thought of. I have run the boat with all the transom holes plugged with expansion plugs and have resealed the holes with a marine sealant. Even taped over the pitot hole. So there is no water getting into the pumps and hoses in the bilge. Besides I can't get to the hoses and clamps. I have observed them with a flashlight while running and can't see any leaks. But to get to them would require the deck be removed.

Pacific NW Ron

I can't imagine your frustration with this issue.  I think you're handling it much better than I would.  I would be the squeaky wheel on this one and everyone at tracker and the dealer would know about this.  Good luck.  I hope you get the issue resolved.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Thornback

Thanks for the reply NW Ron. Well there is some frustration but at least I can keep fishing, something I do on a weekly basis. The dealer has been receptive to my problem and agreed to work with me on it. I know it's not the dealer's fault and they can't wave a magic wand. So between the two of us we'll keep searching. One thing I have learned in my 79 years is not to get stressed. I've learned all things will work out. My last option would be to trade the boat for a new 2020 model next year and I'm blessed that it won't be a financial strain on me.

Deadeye

I seem to recall reading a thread on another forum some time ago with this same issue and on a Tracker. After much hair pulling, the owner found out that the Dealer used a sealant different from what Tracker recommended when mounting the motor. I guess the boat was ordered without a motor and the Dealer mounted one of his on it.

Anyway, once that was discovered (I think eventually Tracker got involved) The Dealer pulled the Motor and re-set it with the correct sealant. BINGO No more Leaks.

Not saying that is what happened in your case, but it has happened in the past.

Oldfart9999

TB, I hope they get it resolved and it's just resealing the mounting bolts.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

WTodd

Quote from: Thornback on January 12, 2019, 06:22:50 PM
My last option would be to trade the boat for a new 2020 model next year and I'm blessed that it won't be a financial strain on me.

I believe you have just resolved the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thornback

I'm keeping that resolve on hold because I'm curious where the boat is leaking. I would love to solve the leaking problem. I enjoy troubleshooting problems and besides I really like this boat.
My owners' manual says motor mounting bolts should be torqued to 50 foot pounds. Being curious I used my torque wrench to check. Two nuts checked out at 50 but the other two were around 40, so I tightened them down to 50. I have a fishing trip planned for Thursday so I'll check to see if tightening the nuts makes any difference.
I thought about raising the motor one hole when the dealer removes the motor to check for a leak but I see it could be a problem to raise the motor one bolt hole due to a "lip" on the top back of the transom. It looks like that would prevent the motor from making solid contact with the transom. I'll see what the techs at the dealer have to say about raising the motor. See graphic below . . .

Bassinkorea

I've been following this thread since day one without posting. I'm posting in it now so I can keep a closer eye on it. Interested in where this all ends up going. Good luck!
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Thornback

I just hope I live long enough to see it to a conclusion/solution  :)

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Thornback on January 14, 2019, 07:01:47 PM
I just hope I live long enough to see it to a conclusion/solution  :)
I think I'd get a new one under warranty first. lo lo ;) ::)
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Thornback

I spoke with the service manager at the dealership today and suggested they remove the motor and check out the transom. I said I didn't want to leave the boat until they could get to it because I wanted to be there to see for myself. He said they were backed up and his first opening was in 2 weeks. I said that was fine because I could still be fishing. I'll report back here after the motor is pulled, transom holes inspected, the motor resealed and reinstalled.

Thornback

This morning the shop foreman and helper removed the motor and the three of us inspected both motor and transom. Everything looked fine and there was a complete ring of sealant around all 4 holes. They removed the old sealant, resealed, and remounted the motor. I'll give the sealant 24 hours to cure and probably test the boat Friday afternoon. If it still leaks I'll just name it "Leaky" :)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Thornback on January 30, 2019, 02:28:57 PM
This morning the shop foreman and helper removed the motor and the three of us inspected both motor and transom. Everything looked fine and there was a complete ring of sealant around all 4 holes. They removed the old sealant, resealed, and remounted the motor. I'll give the sealant 24 hours to cure and probably test the boat Friday afternoon. If it still leaks I'll just name it "Leaky" :)

Thank you for the update Thorn, let us know if the issue was resolved after your next outing.