Trolling Motor Prop Reminder

Started by FloridaFishinFool, December 31, 2018, 05:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaFishinFool

Guys, don't forget to remove the trolling motor prop from time to time to check and see if anything is wrapped around the shaft.

Yesterday I ran into some vegetation that had some old fishing line tangled up in it and all of it wound up wrapped around my shaft behind the prop. I almost missed it when checking the boat over before putting it up. I saw just the tip of something sticking out from behind the prop and I tried to pull on it and it would not budge.

So I removed the prop only to find weeds and fishing line wrapped and tangled up on the shaft.

If too much gets in behind the prop it can cause resistance to the trolling motor spin ability and cause it to draw more current off the batts.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

WTodd

Good reminder Fool and while you're checking that make sure all of the screws in your TM are tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

FFF and WT, tks for the reminders.  Yep that fishing line will damage that seal if not checked every now and then.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bud Kennedy

Not a bad idea to pull the prop on the big motor as well.  That dang fishing line can cause some expensive problems.