Boat Trailer Back Up Camera

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 06, 2019, 02:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Due to some very narrow conditions when backing the boat into my driveway coupled with my vision problem for things on my left side.  I have acquired a blue tooth camera that I can attach to my boat trailer to cure a major blind spot and also help me from running into a palm tree at the end of the driveway.

Here is are a couple pictures of the installed product.

This camera does have a magnetic base but that does me no good on an aluminum trailer and even on my mostly aluminum ford expedition.  The camera maker sent me a heavy duty magnet and some velcro fasteners so that I can stick the heavy duty magnet to the trailer and then simply attach the magnetic base camera to the magnet.  It comes with a small 3x5 monitor that plugs into a power outlet in the expedition so I can view the blind spot on the trailer while backing into the driveway.  The camera will not be kept on the trailer but only attached when backing into narrow spots.  This device although somewhat waterproof I would not want to submerge it into the water at the launch ramp.  Good thing I usually don't need something like this at a boat ramp but it can happen I guess if the conditions are really crowded.

Donald Garner

That's cool looking hope it does the trick for ya.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bassinkorea

A cool little idea, I'm sure it helps a bunch.

Whilst reading this thread, I also thought of an idea that a GoPro (or possibly other brand) camera could be used in this same situation as they have a bluetooth connection to a smart phone or tablet. The GoPro in the right case would also be waterproof and and would help at the ramp also.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Burbarry

Quote from: Bassinkorea on January 06, 2019, 05:15:44 PM
A cool little idea, I'm sure it helps a bunch.

Whilst reading this thread, I also thought of an idea that a GoPro (or possibly other brand) camera could be used in this same situation as they have a bluetooth connection to a smart phone or tablet. The GoPro in the right case would also be waterproof and and would help at the ramp also.

I thought of using the same thing but lowes had one that's only like $30 looks just like a GoPro with waterproof case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

When I purchased my set up I did see a bunch of cameras that were smartphone compatible.  Although my camera is waterproof, I am not gonna chance it.   I don't have a smart phone so my choices were limited.

Oldfart9999

It looks good Bud, have you tried it yet?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 07, 2019, 06:52:03 AM
It looks good Bud, have you tried it yet?
Rodney

Not really, I have tested the video and it works good.  Not totally sure if it will be worth the trouble or not but we will see.  About the only spot I need it is  getting into the driveway.  Probably because I suck at backing up a boat so I have to blame it on something.

Deadeye

We bought one of our daughter's boyfriend a backup camera system for Christmas. It was a complete system including the monitor.

It simply mounted on the bolts that hold the License Plate on. It is adjustable to set the view and was under $60.00 at Walmart in their Auto section. BTW most of their people had no idea they had one.

Pacific NW Ron

I've seen those and wondered how good they work.  I have several ideas for them.  I assume the camera is battery powered? 
Let us know how it works out.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on January 08, 2019, 01:52:09 PM
I've seen those and wondered how good they work.  I have several ideas for them.  I assume the camera is battery powered? 
Let us know how it works out.

Ron Camera runs on a 9V Battery.  So far I am happy with the camera, the video is good and pairs quickly with the monitor via blue tooth