703 series?

Started by FLO GROWN, January 07, 2019, 07:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLO GROWN

Don't see alot of post for the 703 series?

"Tight lines"

fishballer06

What do you want to know? Your post is pretty vague.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

I have a 703 in the Champion Extreme line and it's an amazing shallow water crankbait rod. I swear I can fell it roll over just about anything. If I'm paying attention, I can feel when a bass swipes at the crank and misses it.

But over all it's a great rod for a lot of things. What series are you thinking about.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FLO GROWN

Quote from: fishballer06 on January 07, 2019, 10:11:05 AM
What do you want to know? Your post is pretty vague.
Just don't hear alot of talk about the 703 series,I got 3 of them in the fury series I really like them,I fish in south Florida with alot of vegetation and I've only lost a few fish out of hundreds from not having the power to keep the out of the slop but most of the time I'm catching between a pound or two pound bass so it's alot of fun fighting them with that 3 power and I've caught plenty of fish over 5 pounds with 3 power rod and let me tell you it's alot of fun!!Just giving some love to Dobyns 3 power

"Tight lines"

Mike Cork

I'd believe it's got the power, I can turn pretty good sized bass out of cypress trees when bouncing a squarebill through the knees. I don't use it for heavy slop fishing but occasionally it gets the nod for Texas rig work.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FLO GROWN

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 07, 2019, 10:35:37 AM
I'd believe it's got the power, I can turn pretty good sized bass out of cypress trees when bouncing a squarebill through the knees. I don't use it for heavy slop fishing but occasionally it gets the nod for Texas rig work.
I actually had a gator hooked up and fought him for a while I was pretty impressed with the power,I use my 703's for Texas rigged worn 1/8 oz ,jig 1/4 oz and Gambler ez ,those 1 and 2 pound bass on that 3 power feel bigger lol

"Tight lines"

Dangerfield

I just purchased a Fury 703sf from Amazon last night, got an awesome deal that I couldn't pass up. Hopefully they know how to ship a rod properly, if it arrives in 1 pc I'll be pairing it up with a Shimano Sedona. That'll be my 2nd Dobyns rod, and I plan on selling my Ike rod for grabbing a Fury or Colt 705CB. I like the reel seat on the Ike but I love everything else about the Fury. Adding either a 795/806sb will complete my arsenal, I wouldn't mind a 704c for topwater and to compliment the 705 when a crank or ripbait are attached.

LgMouthGambler

The 3 is kinda a noodle. To me the 3 power is a M, 4 is a MH, and 5 a H. I prefer a 704, and my Champ XP is really nice all around. I have the Sierra series in a 682 and 683 and really like them. Just ordered a 684 to add to the arsenal.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FLO GROWN

I've owned 3-703 there great rods but I was very cautious how thick of stuff I would use them in.735 changed everything for me.

"Tight lines"

bmac88

Fury 703 was my favorite rod of 2018. Used it primarily for texas rigging brush hogs. Caught my PB mid summer 8.35lbs on the 703. Absolutely love the rod but with that being said I may go up to the 4 power for the texas rigs to dig that hook a lot more. Built a lot of confidence in the 703 so might be kicking myself in the end on this one but we will see. Let me know what you guys think if i should stick to 3 power or go up to a 4? Usually go 3/8 pegged.
When fishing is more than just a hobby!

FLO GROWN

Quote from: bmac88 on January 10, 2019, 10:33:20 PM
Fury 703 was my favorite rod of 2018. Used it primarily for texas rigging brush hogs. Caught my PB mid summer 8.35lbs on the 703. Absolutely love the rod but with that being said I may go up to the 4 power for the texas rigs to dig that hook a lot more. Built a lot of confidence in the 703 so might be kicking myself in the end on this one but we will see. Let me know what you guys think if i should stick to 3 power or go up to a 4? Usually go 3/8 pegged.
I've used those 703's for soooo many different techniques and have had alot of success with it,that being said I have lost a few fish in the heavy vegetation of Florida by not having the power to muscle them out of the grass,the 735 gave me the confidence to throw my baits in the heaviest cover with no issue I'm very interested to see the difference between the 703 and 704 for my Texas rigged worms,I will definitely post a follow up between the two rods.

"Tight lines"

bmac88

Quote from: FLO GROWN on January 11, 2019, 07:53:01 AM
I've used those 703's for soooo many different techniques and have had alot of success with it,that being said I have lost a few fish in the heavy vegetation of Florida by not having the power to muscle them out of the grass,the 735 gave me the confidence to throw my baits in the heaviest cover with no issue I'm very interested to see the difference between the 703 and 704 for my Texas rigged worms,I will definitely post a follow up between the two rods.

Yes im very interested in the 704. Let me know how it is.
When fishing is more than just a hobby!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FLO GROWN on January 11, 2019, 07:53:01 AM

Youre gonna love the 704. Its got a soft enough tip to toss 1/4oz baits, and enough backbone to fish nasty stuff.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Stren_g

Over last summer I used a FR733C with lighter swim jigs, spinnerbaits, and a popper a few times. It's a nice rod for sure. I wouldn't throw into any really thick stuff with it, but it'll do most of what you ask of it. The 4 powers are extremely versatile as mentioned. I'd guess they're the reason that the 3's don't get as much attention.

Dangerfield

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on January 10, 2019, 04:05:24 PM
The 3 is kinda a noodle. To me the 3 power is a M, 4 is a MH, and 5 a H. I prefer a 704, and my Champ XP is really nice all around. I have the Sierra series in a 682 and 683 and really like them. Just ordered a 684 to add to the arsenal.

Could you compare it to a 7" M Ugly Stick or a 7" M Fenwick HMG? The Uugly Stick was my first spinning rod and what I would describe as a wet noodle, I'm hoping the Fury has more backbone.

LgMouthGambler

Fenwick Aetos MH F was like the 703. Noodle.  lo

Dangerfield

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on January 11, 2019, 10:16:18 AM
Fenwick Aetos MH F was like the 703. Noodle.  lo

Hmm guess I'm heading over to Cabela's tonight to gauge my expectations. I don't expect the power to match my 735c, but I'm hoping that the action is comparable.

Dink Dawg

I think the 733 gets the bulk of the 3 power sales.  I have a Savvy and DX 703C.  The applications are lighter cover lighter lines and they work well for that. Flukes, Senko, small jigs, smaller spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and lighter texas rigs. I love my extreme for dragging football head Hula Grubs for smallmouth.

FLO GROWN

Imho the fury 703 is a strong rod it just doesn't load up as easily as the other powers, from my experience,it's a really nice rod,it's light, sensitive,strong,diverse, balanced just doesn't load easily you gotta really stick them and if there is heavy vegetation around it's challenging but all that said it's alot of fun catching bass on 3 power 1lber feels like a 5lber lol

"Tight lines"

chrisD46

I would use a 703c for treble hook baits (smaller poppers , squarebills , jerk baits , etc. )  and thin wire hook , weightless T-Rigs. A 703sf rules for shaky heads , flukes & senkos .

Dangerfield

Quote from: FLO GROWN on January 11, 2019, 12:40:07 PM
Imho the fury 703 is a strong rod it just doesn't load up as easily as the other powers

Quote from: chrisD46 on January 14, 2019, 04:00:45 AM
I would use a 703c for treble hook baits (smaller poppers , squarebills , jerk baits , etc. )  and thin wire hook , weightless T-Rigs. A 703sf rules for shaky heads , flukes & senkos .

It will be for open water techniques, although by mid July up here the vegetation will be in full effect, but still I won't be casting more than a 3" plastic on a neko/dropshot hook or a 3/0 or 4/0 ewg worm or 1/8oz weight swimbait hook. The heaviest jig I plan to use is a 1/4oz Dirty Jigs finesse jig.
From the treble hook side, BX brat, shadow rap shads, and biovex amp jr's are baits I would like to use on this set up.

FLO GROWN

703 has plenty of power,I've had Gators on mine,6# bass and mudfish, it's a light rod that has plenty of backbone don't let that 3 power full you!

https://www.facebook.com/192507187437627/posts/2275758122445846/

"Tight lines"

Gary Dobyns

WE sell lots of 3 power rods. In spinning It's the #1 power by far. As far as casting rods go it's a little light for Texas rigged worms unless it's a handpour or soft bait. You can still use it on injected "tougher" worms but as you pointed out, you have to swing to set the hook. 3 power casting rods are rated Med/Heavy.

FLO GROWN

Follow up on 703 I just started using it as my lipless crankbait rod  it and absolutely love it as lipless crankbait rod .

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

"Tight lines"

Dangerfield

I've only been able to use my Fury 703sf once so far. Bass season is open yet, but she was handling the rainbows without a hiccup, plenty of backbone and a good tip for launching little cleos and mepps syclops.

I've got mine paired with a shimano sedona with #12 sufix nanobraid. Got a bunch of techniques I want to deploy with this rod.