Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Brand aluminum do you own?  (Read 76568 times)

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Re: What Brand aluminum do you own?
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »

Nice looking boat, Lund does a great job on their boats!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »

End of my first year with my Lund. Best decision I've made. Gets on plane quick and being a deep v more storage space than I could ever fill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hows the stability on a deep v like that one?
Bet it chops through choppy water pretty good.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Ddyyak

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »

It does. I was out on old hickory today and the wind picked up pretty heavy. Still a very smooth ride. Of course being tin and deep v it can blow around when fishing. 80 lb trolling motor helps off set it.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2017, 10:37:06 PM »

End of my first year with my Lund. Best decision I've made. Gets on plane quick and being a deep v more storage space than I could ever fill
Very nice boat.

I have to ask, I'm not familiar with all the newer gizmos, what is this black thing on the corner of your trailer..

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »

Very nice boat.

I have to ask, I'm not familiar with all the newer gizmos, what is this black thing on the corner of your trailer..

Ratchet tie down.
Rodney

WTodd

• Smallmouth
« Reply #255 on: November 06, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »

Sounds like a nice setup WTodd. I had to laugh at the comment  But being white I can see exactly what you mean. Got any pics of it?
I need to take some better ones and post them...I will

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #256 on: November 06, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »

Original sales literature:

I overhauled an old 1974 AlumaCraft V-bow. I stripped down the insides and rebuilt it the way I wanted it using all aluminum framing, aluminum hardware, and plastic decking. No wood! Nothing to rust ,nor rot, nor corrode the hull.

Rebuilding the transom was fun. I took my time with it and came up with a solution to restore it and build it stronger than ever using just two pieces of custom cut aluminum. I could put a 60hp on it now but I settled on a made for military Johnson/Evinrude 35hp after my Yamaha 4 stroke became unrepairable.

As I found the boat laying on the side of a backyard filled with mud, water, and plants and vines growing out of it:

I chose aluminum because for one the hull was free. I was asked if I wanted it and to please just haul it off. So I turned it into a winter project 4 years ago, and with Alro metals and Farco Plastics plus aluminum hardware made it easy. The worst part was scraping off the barnacles inch by inch.

The transom modification done by a previous owner was not very good at all.  The cross piece did not fit, and all of their welds were cracked and broken by the 60hp they used on it for duck hunting. They even added thrust bars on the side corners to help hold the 60hp they used on it. And the 60hp broke every weld they put in there. I had to cut it all out and start over from scratch and I did no welding at all and it is stronger than ever.

I prefer aluminum because I don't like fiberglass boats. They are too heavy and draft too deeply and can not go where I want to go. My old aluminum boat only drafts about 6 inches or maybe 7 so I can get back into some really shallow water where bass boats can not. How many 1974 fiberglass boats are still like new in use today? Not many. This old aluminum boat is as good as new now and no soft spots!

I had one of those flat bottomed jon boats, but it did not handle rough water very well so I quickly sold it when the v-bow became available.

Its not as fast as today's high powered bass boats, but with just myself in it my GPS says I can run around 32mph wide open. It can handle 2 men comfortably and gets me where I want to go and the best part is it is cheap and reliable. Here is how she looks now on her first voyage on Lake Maitland at the island beach in the middle of the lake- a swimming hole for the boys. Our in town escape...

When building the front casting platform, I wanted to use it for storage underneath for batteries and fuel tank and other stuff, but I did not want to use the hull for support on the back deck edge because stepping up and down would tear out the thin hull, so I custom made some hand cut, hand hammered into shape hanger bars for a solid rear deck support that would outlive me. Notice how the bottom of the hanger bar is pulled inward more than one inch away from the hull. This allows room for the hull to twist in turns and those hanger bars never touch the hull. The rear deck is free floating off the top rail.

I wanted an open uncluttered floor design.

Working with soft aluminum is like working with butter. So easy to work with. And yes, I cut down and smoothed out those 3 aluminum bolts the back of the deck is hung with. Now a grown man can jump up and down back there with no issues.

And I use the 4 original oar lock mounts for electronics and other devices like rod holders that can be moved around the boat. I have a Lowrance dual scan fish finder with GPS and mapping I can move forward and back in seconds.

I wanted a simple, straight forward fishing boat for the boys and I to have fun in. And the carpet I get for free at the tradeshows I work at on call from time to time, and this carpet came from the PGA show and is foam backed putt putt golf outdoor carpet and stays cool even in the hottest summer sun. I got enough off one show to carpet the boat 3 times and I am still using the first cut.

These images were taken before the wiring and fuel line were cleaned up and routed better.

My youngest boy fell asleep while loading up the boat after a trip out. He is laying on a 3 section deck I installed, and he is laying on a hinged access door into the battery and fuel tank area. I even used aluminum hinges along with all the hardware and the plastic foam decking floats.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:41:03 AM by FloridaFishinFool »

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #257 on: November 07, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »

I had the same boat, paid 300$ for it, put a flat floor and a casting deck in it, hung a 97 15 horse merc on it, GPSed at 22 mph. I loved that rig and wish I hadn't sold it to buy a bigger boat. Change the 15 hp stickers for 9.9s and there are 2 lakes I could fish with no bigger boats, jet-skis, water skiers or any of that crap.
Rodney

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2017, 09:00:35 AM »

Cool re doing that boat FloridaFishinFool but am I seeing that there is like 4 blocks of wood holding the seat up?  :shocking: ~b~  Thought you said,"No wood!" ~roflmao

I'm just giving you crap man. lo I was proud my boat had zero wood as well but then I wanted to extend the front deck and it was too easy to do wood. I love the deck extension maybe one day I will get it made of aluminum.

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #259 on: November 07, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »

I had the same boat, paid 300$ for it, put a flat floor and a casting deck in it, hung a 97 15 horse merc on it, GPSed at 22 mph. I loved that rig and wish I hadn't sold it to buy a bigger boat. Change the 15 hp stickers for 9.9s and there are 2 lakes I could fish with no bigger boats, jet-skis, water skiers or any of that crap.
Rodney

Rodney I could not get away with that with the old Yamaha, but my new used outboard has no power markings and since it is a military motor that information is not easily accessible so I can now get away with the same thing.

FloridaFishinFool

• Lunker
« Reply #260 on: November 07, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »

Cool re doing that boat FloridaFishinFool but am I seeing that there is like 4 blocks of wood holding the seat up?  :shocking: ~b~  Thought you said,"No wood!" ~roflmao

I'm just giving you crap man. lo I was proud my boat had zero wood as well but then I wanted to extend the front deck and it was too easy to do wood. I love the deck extension maybe one day I will get it made of aluminum.

With Alro Metals in my area it was a no brainer to just go with aluminum and the nice thing about Alro is that if I buy new stock it costs full price, but if I dig through cut pieces I can get a nice discount- same with all the plastic I used in the boat too.

Speaking of which, those blocks are PVC foam board from Alro right out of their scrap area. When I redid this boat I made use of what I had laying around which is why I have that seat up there mounted like that. Guess I was too cheap to go buy another one. I wanted an adjusting one, but had this one laying around in the garage from a previous boat and just went with it even if it needed some adjustments. Heck, those 1 inch blocks are now floatation devices!

Due to the way I did the framing under the deck, I could get away with using 1/2" PVC plastic board. It is a solid strong deck now.

Check your PM about the custom frogging rod...

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #261 on: November 07, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »

With Alro Metals in my area it was a no brainer to just go with aluminum and the nice thing about Alro is that if I buy new stock it costs full price, but if I dig through cut pieces I can get a nice discount- same with all the plastic I used in the boat too.

Speaking of which, those blocks are PVC foam board from Alro right out of their scrap area. When I redid this boat I made use of what I had laying around which is why I have that seat up there mounted like that. Guess I was too cheap to go buy another one. I wanted an adjusting one, but had this one laying around in the garage from a previous boat and just went with it even if it needed some adjustments. Heck, those 1 inch blocks are now floatation devices!

Due to the way I did the framing under the deck, I could get away with using 1/2" PVC plastic board. It is a solid strong deck now.

Check your PM about the custom frogging rod...
Sounds like a thrifty way to get the job done.

Thx I got the PM.  ;)

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #262 on: November 08, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »

You can check the junk yards for used road signs, they are heavy enough to use and the cost is much better than new. The site "Tinboats" has a lot of good stuff on redoing your tin boats and the members will give you all the help you need.
Rodney

WTodd

• Smallmouth
« Reply #263 on: November 10, 2017, 03:36:17 PM »

Sounds like a nice setup WTodd. I had to laugh at the comment  But being white I can see exactly what you mean. Got any pics of it?
Ok here’s 4 pics

Bassinlou

• CM Forum Staff
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #264 on: November 10, 2017, 07:27:46 PM »

Nice rig WTodd. How do you like the Talons? How deep do those go?
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

WTodd

• Smallmouth
« Reply #265 on: November 10, 2017, 08:40:17 PM »

Nice rig WTodd. How do you like the Talons? How deep do those go?
They’re 8 footers & I like them a lot. Once you determine where you want to anchor, hit the button and there you are; no up & back like power poled

Bassinlou

• CM Forum Staff
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #266 on: November 10, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »

They’re 8 footers & I like them a lot. Once you determine where you want to anchor, hit the button and there you are; no up & back like power poled

Nice!!
Question: With 8 footers how deep can you go where the anchor will hold effectively. 6ft? 7ft? I'm sure at 8ft they hold but is it   as secure, or am I off base?
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

WTodd

• Smallmouth
« Reply #267 on: November 10, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »

Nice!!
Question: With 8 footers how deep can you go where the anchor will hold effectively. 6ft? 7ft? I'm sure at 8ft they hold but is it   as secure, or am I off base?
About 7’ but it depends on the bottom whether it’s soft or hard

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 34 queries.