Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting new line on reels  (Read 870 times)

jhh4198

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Putting new line on reels
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »

When putting new line on a baitcaster or a spinning reel, how do you know when you have enough line and not too much or too little?  ~cf
Always great to be on the water! 😁

FloridaFishinFool

• Fisher Person
Re: Putting new line on reels
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »

Found this as a good average. I push mine a little closer to bevel.

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »

After all these years I just eyeball it. I generally use the 1/16 - 1/8 inch rule usually closer to the 1/8 inch mark.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »

Some say an 1/8 inch from top, some say a 1/16th from top, if you happen to get a look at pros reels they are clear to the top, I go with an 1/8th.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 08:09:25 PM »

I always fiil to the lip because I cut so much off during lure changes and reties. Its a pain at first but evens out.
I also run hot water over the spool for about a minute after spooling new line. Do not do this more than once as it will cause it to stretch even more.
Dobyns Rods fish all day
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"

the_huber_show

• Charter Member
  • The Skunk Master
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »

All good information above. 

I eyeball it to about the lip on my baitcasters and on my spinningrods like said above about a 1/8".

I to go through mine quick from reties and changing out lures
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

wcmtkj7ep

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »

I have mine 1/16 from the beveled edged and seems the sweet spot for very few overruns if my thumb is working half right.

WTodd

• Largemouth
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 02:38:26 PM »

Everyone is a little different; you’ll need to find your sweet spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:52:28 PM »

Everyone is a little different; you’ll need to find your sweet spot

This ^^^

On a baitcaster, the more line you put on the spool, the higher the retrieve ratio will be, and vise-versa. However, I don't think 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch will make all that much difference.

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 06:13:22 PM »

For baitcast reels 1/16-1/8 below the lip seems to be the norm from what I've read on instruction sheets that came with my reels.

The first time I sent a few reels out for cleaning and upgrading the guy suggested I fill to the bevel for best casting distance and highest IPT.  So that is how I now fill mine.  However, I have read that casting is easier (less backlashes) if you keep the line about 1/8 inch from the bevel.

On spinning reels I think line type plays a part in how full to spool the reel.  With braid or small diameter of other line types I fill about to the lip.  If I were to use a heavier mono/co-polymer/hybrid/fluorocarbon line I wouldn't fill as close to the lip.  Nothing worse on a spinning reel than having the line jump off the spool because it was overfilled.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • The most underestimated bass fisherman on UB - zip
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 12:34:03 AM »

Being newer to a baitcaster I'm guessing since you are asking. Id recommend the 1/8" rule on a baitcaster or a spinning reel. Its the safer way to learn, a spinning reel can really be a pain if you get it to close to the edge with line jumping off. Braid isn't near as bad but it can do the same if too full.

On the baitcaster its a pita to clear out if you fill to the brimming edge and have a error in casting. If you are fairly new to baitcasters its not like your going to be emptying the spool casting. Considering the extremely small extra ipt and casting distance you gain with that slightly more line imho I don't think its worth the trade off. So there is not any glaring positive reason to push the envelope.

All that being said if your not new to the reels and are just curious how others set theirs up well I use braid exclusively and fill my baitcasters and spinning reels very close to the top.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:37:46 AM by SteveTX »
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 02:08:33 AM »

Some things to watch for when using very thin line is that it can migrate between the spool and housing, causing you all kinds of problems.

I have seen that on a few older baitcasters that had enough end play on the spool to affect this with lower lb braids.

I do have a couple older Penn Level Wind Reels that have problems with 12lb Mono migrating between the spool and housing when over filled. But that is the nature of the size of the reel and age also.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »

Some things to watch for when using very thin line is that it can migrate between the spool and housing, causing you all kinds of problems.

I have seen that on a few older baitcasters that had enough end play on the spool to affect this with lower lb braids.

I do have a couple older Penn Level Wind Reels that have problems with 12lb Mono migrating between the spool and housing when over filled. But that is the nature of the size of the reel and age also.
This is very true. I had some old Quantum reels where the tolerance between frame and spool was not very tight. I had to underfill them to keep line from getting in there.

Back then Reel Magic was about the only line conditioner you could buy and spraying that on there caused some of it to get into the reel. Mucked things up pretty bad.

Those reels were quickly retired.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

jhh4198

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »

Thanks for all the input. Very helpful. 
Always great to be on the water! 😁
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.