Report from Istokpoga

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 17, 2019, 06:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Yesterday, Bassin Lou gave me a heads up about spraying at Istokpoga, the site of my upcoming fishing trip.  I mentioned this to the  guide I have chosen for this event and the following is his e mail response to me..FYI, The guide's name is Dave Douglass and I really appreciate him taking time to provide this answer to my questions.

(copy of e mail)

Those who do NOT understand 'the effects of herbicides' on fish in general, and bass specifically, make these types of claims.

Every single lake from the town of Kissimmee to the town of Clewiston have a problem which was caused by nature 17 months ago. The Hurricane of 2017, essentially 'stirred Okeechobee, Istokpoga, Kissimmee Chain of lakes' with the worst effects occurring in the southern lakes, Okee and Istok.

Any open water deeper section grass beds were torn up and deposited on the north and western shorelines. This alone has caused fish to use the lake completely differently than they normally would--there were 5-7 foot waves for six hours.

And the majority of anglers discount this factor, opting instead to blame the 'weed management program' ....because....the FWC changed it's 'spray policy' from biannual mass-block treatments of 1000's of acres in one event to a new strategy of targeting invasive plants weekly while these areas are just starting to develop---average spray target is less than two feet in size.

Now, the FWC is publishing data which shows there currently is a 40% reduction in herbicide used as compared with the large-scale block treatment events of the past. So they make the claim that annually, much less chemical is entering the water, and thus the fishery will be improving over time. They also site the hurricane as being the reason fishing is not as productive as in the years when nature did nothing severe to the environment for 4-6 years (which have always been the best-fishing years).

The water clarity is the same as it's been since 2004, hardly enough change to even mention. However the bass are using the lake differently, because the areas which spraying occurs, happens to be caused by the anglers themselves. They fish where the fish are, which deposits invasive plant species when boats come off plain, which in turn produces areas of invasive species growth, which then requires weekly spraying of the same traditional fish areas every few weeks.

So yes, the spray boats are out there daily, policing the lake for invasive plants. However it's spot spraying only....in angler's best fishing holes. And fish move when their cover dies (collateral damage occurs when spraying Hyacinth within bulrush and lily pads) and move to the closest suitable area to obtain safety again.

My experience in the last 14 months: Boated 3 bass over 10 lbs. (one 14 lb. one 13lb. and one 11 lb.) and average weekly 5-6 bass between 8-9 lb. 14 oz. range.  The least caught bass sizes are 5-7 lbs. and 10"-2 lbs. which is due to the storm ---I believe the storm injured or stunned the active size fish of each species in the lake, which the 1000 plus 8-10 foot gator population fed on, in the week after the storm.

No one was out there using the lake for a month after the storm due to floating dock pieces and anything which was not tied down on lake front properties. So no one witnessed the gator feast occurring. Currently the gator population is thriving on the lake---they were all on land when the storm hit.

Yes the lake currently is more challenging since the eight separate sections of the lake no longer have active feeding bass in the historical fishing holes. Instead bass are feeding 100 yards from those historical areas. And the deep water grass beds are returning quickly.

The number one problem with all of Florida's freshwater lake after a major storm is....the massive agricultural runoff which washed at enormous rates, fertilizers into the lakes and stream influents. This has caused an accelerated growth cycle with invasive plant species, which would cause 4-6 large scale block treatment events annually ...IF the FWC did not switch to small area treatments weekly.

I know of many anglers who still catch trophy bass regularly on Istokpoga ---still the best lake for catching 10 plus pounders. Middle sized bass however are hard to come by. A typical day is one fish over 8 lbs. three fish in the 2-4 pound range, and perhaps one or two at 6" for a daily 5-fish total of 14-16 lbs. Prior to the storm I produced a 21 lb. 5-fish total average---mid-size bass making the difference.

Shiner guides have left the lake because they can not get a shiner and bobber into the vegetation far enough to where the bass are waiting in ambush. And these bass are not going to come into open water where gator wait...literally under the guides boats or very close in proximity.

Believe it or not, this is 'The Short Answer" to your inquiry. I could expound in much greater detail.

Remember: Most angler do NOT accurately record their day's fishing results. They credit the wrong factor when they catch a bass, (switching to a different bait color is not the reason they caught fish on Istokpoga, Okeechobee, Toho, Kissimmee or...any shallow muck-type lake, due to the low clarity of these lakes down through history) and believe the wrong reasons for catching bass.

The secret is to....learn and execute a 'natural presentation' of a bait native to the fishery. Get that done where fish are taking cover and you'll catch bass.

Also...the food chain in Istokpoga is still the richest food-chain of any lake in the state. Bass still grow over 2 lbs per year which means bass do NOT have to work hard for their food. If you don't put it very close to their holding spot, they will not chase it down. There is no such thing as a 'reaction bite' in the best trophy bass lakes, they're too fat and lazy due to food being....everywhere.

The greater a lake's food-chain, the harder it is to entice them or trick them, into striking. The FWC shock boat events demonstrate a much longer time locating concentrations of fish, but once they found them, they shocked up numbers of species as good as the historical norm.

Will we catch bass when we go fishing? Right now there's a two days off to one day feeding ratio occurring at the current temperature range 64-68 degrees. Ideal temp range is 70-82 degrees where fish feed every other day.  And....this year's weather pattern has produced the most severe weather on the best monthly periods of the new and full moons. Most anglers do NOT fish in such adverse challenging conditions....which is when I catch the best bass of the month.

Very few anglers will agree with this email's assertion opting instead to blame the spraying of weeds...it is much much easier.

Capt. BassinLou

Bud, hopefully when you make your trip down the conditions are in your favor and you experience catching the bass of a lifetime. Enjoy your trip.

Oldfart9999

Bud, it sounds like you have a guide that understands his lake and knows all the changes. He should be putting you in a high probability of catching a trophy.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Steve81

That was a very interesting take on all of that. By what I am reading, he might be the first FL angler I have seen that isn't 100% against spraying. I don't have a dog in this fight so I haven't done my research.

Thornback

Very informative email. Even with the limited knowledge I possess about bass and lake conditions I have to agree 100% with what Mr. Douglass says.

Deadeye

Sounds like what a Guide would say.

Ice Cold Peanuts

The guide's response just verifies what I think about my understanding of fish behavior and their environment. I have so far to go.
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Deadeye on January 18, 2019, 08:30:17 AM

He can say it, because he is on the water every day, so his views are different. I guess when you can follow them around all the time, it makes it easier. For us that dont have that kind of time, it beats us up, and makes us mad. Now, when I ask the guides I know (under the table mind you), they tell ME different than what they would tell a potential client.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bud Kennedy

I would say what Dave is saying is a bit against conventional wisdom as we common anglers see it.  On the other hand, if there was not a fish kill then those bass have to be somewhere and they have to be eating something.  This may be one of those things that suggest that many anglers go to "their spot" and really don't examine what the other potential areas may be.  I guess it is a matter of willingness to venture into areas that we may be unfamiliar or uncomfortable with.  Just a matter of putting in the time and learning how to make the correct presentations in the correct spot. 

My plans have not changed as yet and am still planning of giving Istokpoga my best effort.  Fishing trips of this nature are always a bit of a crap shoot.  Sometimes you win sometimes you don't.  I guess I will see for myself in about 70 more days or so.

RangerAndBass

Quote from: Deadeye on January 18, 2019, 08:30:17 AM
I have to say, this is what crossed my mind. I certainly have seen enough guides questioning the spraying.
What he says makes sense but I've heard the same story on CNN & Fox and have opposite conclusions.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!