Mercury VesselView Mobile

Started by apenland01, January 29, 2019, 07:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apenland01

I just pulled the trigger on buying this tonight.  They are having a sale through March for a price of $149.99 plus tax, free shipping.

My water temp gauge is broken and since I have an Optimax, it's very important I know what the temp is.  Instead of messing with getting a new gauge, I decided to use this since it's an easy install and works with my iPhone.

It also gives tons of other information like RPM, speed, water pressure, etc.  I figure it's easy enough and the price is right....

Here is the basic info on it.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/vesselview-mobile/

And here is the FAQ page.

https://p.widencdn.net/hxqqkg/8M01273408_Final

Oldfart9999

I think I'd still get the gauge fixed, if you are going to sell the boat the new owner would want a working gauge I think.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 30, 2019, 07:22:42 AM
I think I'd still get the gauge fixed, if you are going to sell the boat the new owner would want a working gauge I think.
Rodney

This and how often are you going to pull out your phone while running wide open to watch the temps, where your going and depth finder/gps

apenland01

Quote from: Ron Fogelson on February 07, 2019, 04:04:32 PM
This and how often are you going to pull out your phone while running wide open to watch the temps, where your going and depth finder/gps

I'm using velcro on the back of the phone and sticking it to the dash area.  That way I don't have to hold it and can always see it while it's on.  I also don't have to worry about it going overboard or flying around in the boat.  I won't need to install any kind of mount either.

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 30, 2019, 07:22:42 AM
Rodney

This is a lifer boat for me.  I searched long and hard to find it.  If someone is buying it in the future, I'm either dead and won't care or it's going need to need much more work than getting a broken gauge fixed......

Mike Cork

$150 is a serious option compared to the $550 that the hardware costs just to link it to a Lowrance sonar or the $1k for a stand along unit.

Lots to think about I reckon, to save $400 I might figure out how to use my phone :surrender:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Flat Rock

I just bit the bullet last night myself.  I bought it mainly to know engine hrs and fault codes.  How many times has someone posted my motor spits and sputters at X rpms.. ?    With this you should be able to figure if its electrical or fuel related.

On a side note..  The 2019 Tracker boats actuallhas a place on the console for your cell phone  ;D

apenland01

I got mine installed on Saturday and it took about 15 minutes.  10 minutes was trying to figure out the best place to ziptie it and then actually getting the zipties on.....

My 2004 Optimax did not have the yellow 10-pin terminal resistor, so I stopped by Moxie Motorsports in Tucson and picked one up before heading to the lake.  Wasn't sure if I would need it, but I did and I'm glad I went prepared.

My phone connected to it pretty quick, but it quickly picked up a bunch of faults which were shown as active.  They looked like new faults, but they are actually old faults that were never cleared by the mechanic when I got the repairs done.

The faults will show in a box with a number and then a description, like "service engine soon" and "sensor:  check oil level", which was from when my engine mounted oil tank sensor went south.  Just be aware that if you have old fault codes and your mechanic didn't clear them, they will show up.  It looks like you can block/silence the fault codes, but I'd like to know how that works exactly first.  I don't want to pay the mechanic to hook up the computer and charge a fee just to clear the codes.....