Curado DC

Started by loomisguy, December 08, 2018, 05:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loomisguy

I've been messing with the DC for awhile now, at least long enough to form a opinion.
Gotta say,  it's been a long time since I've been impressed by a reel this much.
For me it's not about it being hard to backlash although it's not impossible, it's about it being so much more efficient and making more casts.
The thing is just effortless to throw ,doesn't matter if your throwing a DD22 or a 1.5 squarebill it handles them the same. And the price is at least within reason.
I have more on the way.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the feedback. I have not found a bad opinion of them from an honest report. There are haters out there that will not be happy with a shimano, same said for a daiwa...

I'm am so close to pulling the trigger on one. Maybe if I survive the holidays with some spare cash :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Yeah, Ive dipped into DC reels (JDM DC reels). Even at that, I dont really care too much for them anymore.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

loomisguy

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 12, 2018, 03:41:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have not found a bad opinion of them from an honest report. There are haters out there that will not be happy with a shimano, same said for a daiwa...

I'm am so close to pulling the trigger on one. Maybe if I survive the holidays with some spare cash :-*
I think you'll like it Mike. It's surprising how effortless a little roll cast with a squarebill or spinnerbait is.
I was throwing a wiggle wart on a Witch Doctor Surman 50g MH . It's really too much rod for a wart but it still would easily out distance my usual wart rod with a Curado E5.
I think anyone looking for a reel in that price range should give it consideraton.

Sc Bassin

I have several Shimano DC reels with the latest one being a Scorpion DC (my 2nd.) They are the Curado's 1st. cousin. I have to agree with Loomisguy's assessment of the reel. It is much easier to set up than the Calais DC & the Antares DC.  I also think if your looking in that price range be sure to take a hard look at that reel.

ATHiker

I struggle skipping with a bait caster. Would the DC help me skipping?

SteveTX

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 12, 2018, 04:03:10 PM
Yeah, Ive dipped into DC reels (JDM DC reels). Even at that, I dont really care too much for them anymore.
Can you elaborate on what you didnt like to much about it? What feature or mishap started the dislike?
Quote from: ATHiker on December 30, 2018, 09:44:54 AM
I struggle skipping with a bait caster. Would the DC help me skipping?
Good question. I never held a DC but am interested in possibly the future of reels and what they can do that solves issues we have currently.

loomisguy

With the DC control set at the highest setting I don't think you  could backlash it skipping .
I hate to say anything is impossible but it would be a chore.

Mike Cork

Even on the tightest settings one could still backlash but the DC models are very good at keeping it to a minimum. You have to try and backlash if you want to create a significant backlash. That said the only one's I've played with are the Calais versions, I've not been lucky enough to toy around with the new Curado DC :surrender:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ATHiker

Well I took advantage of one of the Xmas sales and ordered a DC. Will let you know how it works for me skipping under docks.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 02, 2019, 07:21:29 PM
Even on the tightest settings one could still backlash but the DC models are very good at keeping it to a minimum. You have to try and backlash if you want to create a significant backlash. That said the only one's I've played with are the Calais versions, I've not been lucky enough to toy around with the new Curado DC :surrender:

Them Calais Dcs are just amazing pieces of machinery.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Sc Bassin

Well said LMG, they are heavy compared today's reels but like you said they are amazing.

calabash digger

Here is my fear of the DC reels. I can adjust my reels now to fit my style of casting (Fine tune) Loosen or tighten is very fine increments . If I buy a DC reel how do I know the preset will match my style of casting? Will it be to tight or loose? Maybe I am over thinking the issue . Am I missing something?

I hope what I am trying to say came across right.
TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

DAIWA STEEZ A TW , SV TW,SHIMANO,LOOMIS.

loomisguy

There is still adjustment for the spool tension. 4 settings for the brakes.  I think you would be hard pressed not to find a setting that would work for a particular line, bait ect.

calabash digger

Thanks , I might give one a try been looking at the curado dc. I am a gear junkie too and the bait monkey gets me ever now and then too.
TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

calabash digger

Bought one today it will be in a few days...