Dobyn's Spinning Crankbait Rod Choices

Started by apenland01, February 13, 2019, 09:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apenland01

I'm looking for a Dobyn's spinning rod with Medium or Medium Heavy power and Moderate action.  I've seen a few choices on the Dobyn's website, but haven't seen where to actually buy them.

I'm looking to replace my old crankbait rod that died last weekend.  It was a cheap medium heavy with moderate action rod that was great for mid-size crankbaits and some of my deeper running crankbaits.

I'm fishing mainly rocky structure and some desert trees.

Some guidance on the best rod for this is appreciated.

Mike Cork

Hum, I've never used a spinning rod for cranking. I'll have to defer to Gary on this one...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 15, 2019, 09:29:41 AM
Hum, I've never used a spinning rod for cranking. I'll have to defer to Gary on this one...
I tried it using some very small Lucky Craft crank baits I picked up a couple years ago. Line twist was horrible so, I added a small ball bearing swivel which helped a lot.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

ike8120

I purchased a Fury 705CB for this purpose, I know you said spinning but I did this on the recommendations of the Dobyn's staff. I mated with a Diawa Fuego . This is a nice combo and didn't break the bank.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Gary Dobyns

We don't make any moderate action spinning rods. But, we get this question a lot. Just drop down in power so you get a softer tip. We have lots of guys throwing 2 powers for cranking. This will depend on the bait size. We've had guys throwing smaller square Bills even drop to the Sierra 700SF. I can help more if I know the baits you're looking to throw. THX!!

apenland01

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on February 27, 2019, 02:12:33 PM
We don't make any moderate action spinning rods. But, we get this question a lot. Just drop down in power so you get a softer tip. We have lots of guys throwing 2 powers for cranking. This will depend on the bait size. We've had guys throwing smaller square Bills even drop to the Sierra 700SF. I can help more if I know the baits you're looking to throw. THX!!

Thanks for the response.  I cast my squarebills on my baitcaster because they tend to be heavier and I can get decent distance with them.  With lighter crankbaits and whatnot, where I want to get the most distance, I can zing my spinning rods much farther than my baitcasters.

Specifically, I throw Rapala Shad Raps and other similar 3-10 foot divers that don't weigh much, which do really well on my previous spinning rod.  Tell me what model rod would be good for those and I'll pick one up from Monster Tackle tonight.  My budget would likely be Fury or Sierra in a Dobyn's rod from what I can tell in the pricing tiers.

Gary Dobyns

Sorry I miss this yesterday. I'd recommend a Sierra 703 SF. It'll be a perfect rod for Shad Rap. It'll cast well and have enough power to handle the diving Rap. THX!!!

apenland01

Thanks for the guidance!  I just ordered the SA 703 SF and should have it to fish by next weekend.

apenland01

Finally got my Sierra 703SF and put a brand new size 30 Pflueger Supreme XT on it that I got from Monster Fishing.  Spooled it with 12lb P-Line Tactical flouro and will be fishing it in a tournament on Saturday.  I can't wait to see how this combination fishes!

apenland01

I'm so disappointed....

I broke my brand new Sierra 703 SF on my 4th cast during my tournament today.  I got snagged and got aggressive trying to break the lure free and broke the tip of my rod.  I should have just cut the line instead of getting aggressive trying to free the lure.  It would have been far, far cheaper to cut the line.

This happened early this morning and spoiled my whole day of fishing.  I ended up getting skunked and had a pit in my stomach all day.  This is the most money I've ever spent on a rod and I should have known better than to do what I did.

After all the time and effort to research the perfect rod, I end up with this from my own stupidity.

ike8120

Quote from: apenland01 on March 16, 2019, 11:02:59 PM
I'm so disappointed....

I broke my brand new Sierra 703 SF on my 4th cast during my tournament today.  I got snagged and got aggressive trying to break the lure free and broke the tip of my rod.  I should have just cut the line instead of getting aggressive trying to free the lure.  It would have been far, far cheaper to cut the line.

This happened early this morning and spoiled my whole day of fishing.  I ended up getting skunked and had a pit in my stomach all day.  This is the most money I've ever spent on a rod and I should have known better than to do what I did.

After all the time and effort to research the perfect rod, I end up with this from my own stupidity.
Not that this will change the bad day you had , here is the Dobyns Warranty link http://dobynsrods.com/warranty/
Gary (ike8120)

apenland01

Thanks Ike, I was so upset about breaking the rod, I hadn't even considered this thing had a warranty.  It looks like it'll cost $80 to get it replaced with shipping, so about half the price of the rod.  I guess that makes it a little easier to stomach....

ike8120

Quote from: apenland01 on March 17, 2019, 10:16:05 AM
Thanks Ike, I was so upset about breaking the rod, I hadn't even considered this thing had a warranty.  It looks like it'll cost $80 to get it replaced with shipping, so about half the price of the rod.  I guess that makes it a little easier to stomach....
I would be upset also. 80 bucks for a new rod isn't bad, not having a broken rod would be better.
Gary (ike8120)

Mike Cork

So sorry to hear your tournament went badly. It's hard to shake off a bad moment. Definitely take advantage of the no questions asked warranty.

Cork's Reel Service

apenland01

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 18, 2019, 02:03:02 PM
So sorry to hear your tournament went badly. It's hard to shake off a bad moment. Definitely take advantage of the no questions asked warranty.

I just sent in the rod piece and the check.  Hopefully I'll get to really try the rod out after I get the replacement.....

apenland01

Wow, excellent customer service by Dobyns Rods!!

I sent my stuff in last Monday and the new replacement rod arrived today!

I plan to hit the water on Saturday, as our spawn should be getting going and I'll give it a good go this time with no broken rods!

Mike Cork

Awesome, thank you for the follow up. Unless it's out of stock for some reason, Gary and Crew are pretty fast. ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

ike8120

Great customer service IMO is the key to having a successful business.
Gary (ike8120)

bernerbass99

Over the years I have seen many guys throw crank baits on Spinning gear. The tournament that Paul Meuller won , Todd Auten was throwing a crank bait on Spinning gear

apenland01

The replacement rod worked like a charm!  I caught 4 on it this weekend with my shad raps, so I think I'll try to not break this one......

Mike Cork

Quote from: apenland01 on April 02, 2019, 05:22:42 PM
The replacement rod worked like a charm!  I caught 4 on it this weekend with my shad raps, so I think I'll try to not break this one......

Thanks for the follow up :toot:

Cork's Reel Service

ike8120

[/quote]
:toot: :toot: :toot:
Gary (ike8120)

zippyduck

Quote from: apenland01 on April 02, 2019, 05:22:42 PM

Welcome to the addiction inside the addiction.  ;D Dobyns rods are only good in pairs of at least 6. I'm not there yet but working on it.  :help:
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

ike8120

Quote from: zippyduck on April 15, 2019, 06:09:35 PM
Welcome to the addiction inside the addiction.  ;D Dobyns rods are only good in pairs of at least 6. I'm not there yet but working on it.  :help:
I have one more to go  ~c~
Gary (ike8120)

apenland01

I actually just bought Basss mislabeled 735 CB glass champion rod, so I have 2 now.  I hope to not break this one until I catch a few fish on it.....