Sierra vs. Champion XP blank material

Started by jmurray600, February 15, 2019, 08:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmurray600

Hey everyone! New to this forum but have been fishing dobyns rods for 2 years now and love them. I currently use Sierra rods but am thinking about taking the next step up to the XP's but hesitant on if it's actually worth it. I am on other Dobyns rod pages and there has been speculation on the Sierra and XP's are basically thr same rod with different cosmetics. I am inclined to disagree with these speculations but was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on what makes the blanks more sensitive and worth the extra $70? Cause all other components seem to be identical. Thank you!

Mike Cork

I have no clue what the actual material make up percentages of the blank are. I know that a Champion is more sensitive than the sierra give all things exact. (line, tungsten weight, shell bed, length of cast). No doubt the Sierra is a quality rod ~c~

Just the fact that there is a slight action difference in the rods should tell everyone that the material is different. A 734C Sierra is a little bit slower than a 734C Champion, if they were identical materials the action would be the same in rods that were the same length.

I think you'll be very happy with the $70 spent on a Champion. The Champion is also lighter which adds to the sensitivity.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

Moving to the XPs is for rod selection, Many specialty rods in the champion series, or for sensitivity.

I have both Sierra and Champion rods. The Sierras are used more for senkos and moving baits, Champions are used for bottom comtact or what they were built for as in the cranking series.

My uses
A senko, swimbait, or swimjig will get the Sierra nod.
Jigs, C-rigs, and t-rigs go on Champions.

Saying that the Sierras are still very sensitive rods, better than most other rods out there. But the Champions are a step above them.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Capt. BassinLou

I have handled a couple of Sierra's, but have not fished them. I do own several Champions however and they are awesome!!

Dink Dawg

Welcome jmurry600 !   This is a great forum for sure with super people.  If you have been following for awhile, you know Gary Dobyns tries to frequent this group with answers and information.  I can say with full confidence that Sierra and Champions being only cosmetically different is false. Fish them side by side and it's not hard discern that.  Both are excellent in their own right but the Champions are a step above.  I would never attempt to address how and leave that up to Gary, it's his company. I'm just a fully satisfied Dobyns customer.

Dam0007

Welcome aboard!

The Champion line steps up to I believe either a 30 or 36 ton Toray graphite. Not including the glass models obviously. The Sierra blank is a High Modulus material but not as sensitive as the toray. Both lines you get Fuji Alconite guides. Sierras actions tend to be a little "slower" which makes them a favorite amongst many multi species anglers. The Champ line is def where it's at for moving baits tho, there's a plethora of models in the CB or CB Glass models to choose from.

If there's specific techniques you are interested in a rod for let us know and we can point you in the right direction.
MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

IG: @dam0007bass

Gary Dobyns

I had a customer yesterday call in and his buddy had told him all "Dobyns Rods are the same blanks with different cosmetics throughout the series". How these "experts" know this boggles my mind.

I use different factories. Some rods have Japan materials and some have Korean materials, I use no others. The actions are different in each series. Many know the Sierra is slightly slower in actions, therefore can't be same blank. I can promise you as the Series goes up from Colt to Fury, to Sierra, to Champ, and so on the materials ALWAYS go up too. The only thing I'm guilty of is using a lot of Fuji Alconite guides. They simply are awesome and all that's needed in bass fishing. Plus they're strong as heck with very few issues. There's always a good step up in materials in all of our series. THX!!