Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sierra vs. Champion XP blank material  (Read 468 times)

jmurray600

• UB Member
Sierra vs. Champion XP blank material
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:15:11 AM »

Hey everyone! New to this forum but have been fishing dobyns rods for 2 years now and love them. I currently use Sierra rods but am thinking about taking the next step up to the XP's but hesitant on if it's actually worth it. I am on other Dobyns rod pages and there has been speculation on the Sierra and XP's are basically thr same rod with different cosmetics. I am inclined to disagree with these speculations but was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on what makes the blanks more sensitive and worth the extra $70? Cause all other components seem to be identical. Thank you!

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Re: Sierra vs. Champion XP blank material
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »

I have no clue what the actual material make up percentages of the blank are. I know that a Champion is more sensitive than the sierra give all things exact. (line, tungsten weight, shell bed, length of cast). No doubt the Sierra is a quality rod ~c~

Just the fact that there is a slight action difference in the rods should tell everyone that the material is different. A 734C Sierra is a little bit slower than a 734C Champion, if they were identical materials the action would be the same in rods that were the same length.

I think you'll be very happy with the $70 spent on a Champion. The Champion is also lighter which adds to the sensitivity.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 06:43:46 PM »

Moving to the XPs is for rod selection, Many specialty rods in the champion series, or for sensitivity.

I have both Sierra and Champion rods. The Sierras are used more for senkos and moving baits, Champions are used for bottom comtact or what they were built for as in the cranking series.

My uses
A senko, swimbait, or swimjig will get the Sierra nod.
Jigs, C-rigs, and t-rigs go on Champions.

Saying that the Sierras are still very sensitive rods, better than most other rods out there. But the Champions are a step above them.
Dobyns Rods fish all day
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »

I have handled a couple of Sierra's, but have not fished them. I do own several Champions however and they are awesome!!
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

Dink Dawg

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:14:24 PM »

Welcome jmurry600 !   This is a great forum for sure with super people.  If you have been following for awhile, you know Gary Dobyns tries to frequent this group with answers and information.  I can say with full confidence that Sierra and Champions being only cosmetically different is false. Fish them side by side and it's not hard discern that.  Both are excellent in their own right but the Champions are a step above.  I would never attempt to address how and leave that up to Gary, it's his company. I'm just a fully satisfied Dobyns customer.

Dam0007

• Smallmouth
  • Smalljaws
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »

Welcome aboard!

The Champion line steps up to I believe either a 30 or 36 ton Toray graphite. Not including the glass models obviously. The Sierra blank is a High Modulus material but not as sensitive as the toray. Both lines you get Fuji Alconite guides. Sierras actions tend to be a little “slower” which makes them a favorite amongst many multi species anglers. The Champ line is def where it’s at for moving baits tho, there’s a plethora of models in the CB or CB Glass models to choose from.

If there’s specific techniques you are interested in a rod for let us know and we can point you in the right direction.
BASS & FLW Angler - Dobyns Rods, Woo! Tungsten, Thayers Marine, Triton Boats, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Ardent

IG: @dam0007bass

Gary Dobyns

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »

I had a customer yesterday call in and his buddy had told him all "Dobyns Rods are the same blanks with different cosmetics throughout the series". How these "experts" know this boggles my mind.

I use different factories. Some rods have Japan materials and some have Korean materials, I use no others. The actions are different in each series. Many know the Sierra is slightly slower in actions, therefore can't be same blank. I can promise you as the Series goes up from Colt to Fury, to Sierra, to Champ, and so on the materials ALWAYS go up too. The only thing I'm guilty of is using a lot of Fuji Alconite guides. They simply are awesome and all that's needed in bass fishing. Plus they're strong as heck with very few issues. There's always a good step up in materials in all of our series. THX!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 26 queries.