Here we go again

Started by ike8120, February 18, 2019, 03:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ike8120

What would be a good mate for Dobyns Fury 702SF to be used with light rigs?

Need to keep under 100 bucks
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Gotsnodooks

I've got a 703sf and have mated it with a Pflueger Supreme XT 35 and it works really well.

zippyduck

A Shimano Sahara 2500 will match it and balance it perfectly.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Gotsnodooks on February 18, 2019, 03:05:25 PM
I've got a 703sf and have mated it with a Pflueger Supreme XT 35 and it works really well.
Color match for sure. That Supreme XT is a killer spinner.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

ike8120

I was also looking at Diawa Revros 2500 and Diawa RG-AB any thoughts.
Also eyeing the Pflueger President.
Gary (ike8120)

RFSims

Pfluger Supreme XT is really nice, but $49.99 above your budget. I have one.
Pfluger Supreme is $100
Shimano Nasci is $100. The 3000 weighs the same as the 2500 and has a faster gear ratio (sometime good, sometimes bad). The Nasci features are very close to Shimano's high dollar reels. I have a 3000
IMO the all time best spinning reel for the $$$$ is a Pfluger President. I like the 30 size.  I have one. I gave my 35 size Presidents to my son, too heavy for my old hands as they weigh over 10 oz. They would not balance a SF702 for me.
13 Fishing Creed X is a pretty good reel (I have one) but IMO the Plfluger President beats it.
For a Dobbyn's SF702 I would try to stay around 8.5 oz or less. Less cost more.
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

Dink Dawg

Ike,   take a close look at the Diawa Fuego LT.  I picked one up for 79.99 and never looked back.  Even at 99.99 it's a super deal.  I had it paired with my Champion 702SF but sold the rod to my buddy to get a Champion 732 SF and now the Fuego sits on that rod. Because the Fuego is part of the new LT line up I went with a 300, the same size as my Ballistic.

ike8120

I know I will get blasted for the reel I just purchased , but I had to see for myself. I bought a KK Sharky lll 2000 for under 50 bucks with, no tax, and free shipping. Only time will tell.
Gary (ike8120)

SteveTX

Quote from: ike8120 on February 23, 2019, 03:29:28 AM
I know I will get blasted for the reel I just purchased , but I had to see for myself. I bought a KK Sharky lll 2000 for under 50 bucks with, no tax, and free shipping. Only time will tell.
I wouldn't blast ya for you spending your $ as you see fit. Besides I wouldn't spend $50 on a spinning reel anyway. Spinning reels are throw away reels to me. I will say my Penn and Mitchell reels have served well for many many years. Good luck with KK if it don't work out well you know where the trash can is.  lo

ike8120

Quote from: SteveTX on February 23, 2019, 10:29:03 AM
I wouldn't blast ya for you spending your $ as you see fit. Besides I wouldn't spend $50 on a spinning reel anyway. Spinning reels are throw away reels to me. I will say my Penn and Mitchell reels have served well for many many years. Good luck with KK if it don't work out well you know where the trash can is.  lo
Could turn out to be the worst money I spent or the best. We will have to see once I started using it.  ~sweat
Gary (ike8120)

zippyduck

Congrats and hope you enjoy it for many years. Heck you should see how many cheap spinning reels I have.
I have just found that a few dollars more will get a much better reel.
My wife buys Walmart junk all the time and they work good for her for a few years.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

ike8120

Quote from: zippyduck on February 23, 2019, 02:11:09 PM
Congrats and hope you enjoy it for many years. Heck you should see how many cheap spinning reels I have.
I have just found that a few dollars more will get a much better reel.
My wife buys Walmart junk all the time and they work good for her for a few years.

Seems like if you don't buy a name brand you have just wasted your money in the opinion of some. There are some name brands that don't perform well either.
Gary (ike8120)