I am using sunline fc sniper fluro. Anything better out there??

Started by calabash digger, February 22, 2019, 03:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calabash digger

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

DAIWA STEEZ A TW , SV TW,SHIMANO,LOOMIS.

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: calabash digger on February 22, 2019, 03:08:03 PM
Anything better than sunline sniper out there?

That's one of those questions where you're bound to get a lot of different answers because it's based on personal preference.

I've never used it, and rarely if ever even use floro anymore but I'll be interested to see what others have to say as to their preference and why.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

loomisguy

Tatsu is the best I've used.  Still I use more sniper than anything for bottom contact stuff.
For crankbaits I like Invisx , has a bit more stretch and handles great.

Blacktail 8541

calabash digger

Quote from: zippyduck on February 22, 2019, 04:00:47 PM
What are you having problems with?
Not really a problem but was wondering if any was softer , etc..... I looked at the TATSU but 45 bucks gave me sticker shock..
TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

zippyduck

I like Tatsu. P-line, and Berkley. All have different characteristics. They all need changed often though. Even just leaving a rod on the deck for several outings will deteriorate flouro.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

I prefer and use Tatsu. I fish a whole lot more braid than I do fluorocarbon. The key to keeping the price down on Tatsu is only buying it when there's a worthwhile promotion or sale and buy 1000yd spools. I keep them in the vegetable drawer of my garage fridge. I do keep a 200yd spool in the boat for an emergency re-spool.  I got my last spool of 12lb Tatsu from Monster Tackle for $140 during one of their promotions. That comes out to $28/200yds. Incidentally, Monster beats TW's price on Tatsu by about $30 everyday.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

calabash digger

CraigP83

Quote from: loomisguy on February 22, 2019, 08:11:46 PM
Tatsu is the best I've used.  Still I use more sniper than anything for bottom contact stuff.
For crankbaits I like Invisx , has a bit more stretch and handles great.
Interesting.  I'm just the opposite, I use sniper for casting/cranks as I find it more supple. Invizx for jigs and jigworms on my spinning gear

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

fishballer06

Sunline Sniper FC is my go to because it's readily available in bulk spools for a decent price, especially when the big name sites have their seasonal sales.

My other go to fluoro's are Pline Tactical and Tatsu whenever I can get a good deal on them.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Pferox

I don't use Floro much anymore, but when I do I use Red Label, a foot or two at a time in front of braid.  It fixes all the reel issues in one sweep.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

redux

I have regular Sniper, Flipping Sniper, and Shooter. They are all very good lines. Sniper is definitely stiffer than Shooter and is not great for spooling and making long casts in my experience. I don't spool flouro anymore because of that issue and the cost. I just use leaders and braid so the stiffness of Sniper isn't an issue for me. Actually, the stiffness when pitching is actually good because it is very sensitive.

If you are looking to spool flouro and make long casts then give Shooter a try. Yes, it is expensive but you shouldn't have as many issues with it...so it is worth the cost I think.

Have you looked into Yo-Zuri Hybrid? I have used a lot of it on the 12-17 pound range and am very happy with that when I am spooling non-braided line.
You can't win of you're not in.

bassmanstan

P-line Tactical is my favorite, I've tried quite a few...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadeye

I tried and like very much the Sunline Assassin.

Soft feel. Casts like a dream. Knots hold well. Seems very durable.

I wanted to upgrade to a heavier line on one of my Jig Rods from 15 to 20. Where I was at they didn't offer the Sunline but they had the Yozuri I have heard a lot of good things about. A Floro-Nylon Hybrid.

Bought a 275 yard spool of 20 lb for 7.49 at Academy. Seems stiffer than the Assassin but time will tell. For what I want it for it feels like it will be fine.

redux

Yo-Zuri gets stiff in the lighter weights after I spool it up and haven't used it for a bit. Normally it is a pretty limp line off the factory spool though. They say it is a mono core with a flour coating if I remember correctly. I wonder if they use a fairly cheap flouro and for the heavier lines they keep a set mono core and just increase that flouro coating which leads to it being stiff...

I haven't tried Assassin yet, but will give it a try if I can find it locally.

calabash digger

Thanks for all the info on lines. BTW I bought a bad spool of 12 lb sniper the other day. It just randomly breaks ....4 cast on my fishing trip and lure flies away. It broke 70 or 80 ft in the spool on the cast. It will be replaced by seller . I am not a big fluro guy but made it a point to try and branch out this year in my fishing line experience for different techniques. I like my braid the best and might just do the fluro leader on my setups that require fluro for best performance.????

Down4ttown

Shooter is the best that Sunline offers if you are wanting something "better". I have tried all the lines listed and I still feel that Sniper is a best value for me.

calabash digger

loomisguy

Shooter is good. The heavier you go with it seems to get less manageable than Sniper.
I like it 14lb. or less.

Oldfart9999

I used to use BPS XPS flouro but they changed it a few years back and I started having troubles. I'm moving away from flouro for anything except dropshot, the only leader I use technique.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Deadeye

I've only had one trip out now with the Yozuri but I can say it definitely feels more "stiffer" than the Assasion did, but it is also 20 vs 15.

I have the Assassin on my Crankbait rod in 12 lb and on my Rattletrap rod in 15 lb and I can't say anything bad about it. I really love how easy it casts and has no memory to speak of. I got it at BPS in Orlando.

I'll give the Yozuir a few more outings to give it an honest try. I know that LMG and Rick both have reported using it and liking it--- that's why I gave it a try. If I don't like it I'll toss it for only 7.50 and buy something else.

Deadeye

Well maybe in the lighter weights the Yozui is a great line, but at 20lb I found it to be way to stiff. It tends to hold memory way to much and leaves Spool Rings laying on the surface. Wants to bunch up and cause issues while Flipping on almost evrey cast.

Maybe if you are casting and using it line for cranks or worming it might be fine, but I really don't like it for Flipping Jigs at all. Will be going back to Sunline for sure.

Deadeye

A Follow Up post.

I switched out the Yozuri for Sunline Assassin in 20 lb. Night and Day difference. Soft smooth feel. Low memory. Good Knot strength and wear, as I was flipping into downed trees and overhanging brush.

I really like it and will continue to use it.

redux

I am still going through some Yo-Zuri in lighter weights and will not be reinvesting once I am through it all. I'm heavy into leaders and it is good for that sort of thing since I have it on hand. The one rod I have spooled full of Yo is just a trashy chunk-and-wind so line performance is not really something I am concerned about and am more than happy to respool just to burn through it faster.

I think it is going to take awhile for me to find flouro I like better then Sunline. Glad you got that detail worked out. Line issues are pretty terrible.