Shimano DC reels worth the money???

Started by calabash digger, February 23, 2019, 08:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calabash digger

I have bought two DC reels in the last two weeks a Curado DC and  a Metanium DC XG. I have seen people say this and that about the DC braking systems and how great they are. IMO they are kinda a gimmick and not really any better than Shimano's SVS system. The DC systems are not bad but IMO are not ahead of the SVS system either. From what I have seen the SVS system outperforms the DC system.

BTW I put 16 lb sunline sniper on it to try out......

I will film the Metanium before I sell it and post the video here. The MET will out cast my Steez TW reels by 10 to 15 feet with the same 1/2 oz trap lure. With that being said the STEEZ TW reels blow the MET away for spool control and smoothness. The MET is one reel I wanted to love but I just dont.

To me the DC system was finicky when I went from the 1/2 oz lure to a 3/8 swimjig. I had it on auto with the 1/2 lure and it did great but  I never could get it to act right with the 3/8 swimjig which catches wind.

I put the reel in 3 and had to be very careful with it and then in 4 .Set at 4 it will cast it  but seems to tight in that setting. Wind was blowing today pretty good on the water.

I know some love the DC system but I just dont care for it. I have had all the top tier reels by shimanos and Daiwa ....I once only used Shimano but now almost only use Daiwa Steez exclusively... best braking system and the most smoothest on the market imo.

One more note to add my brother in law had his Metanium MGL HG out there today and it outperformed the DC reel by far.....Maybe I dont know what I am doing so my loss can be your gain it will be  down in the classifieds......
TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

DAIWA STEEZ A TW , SV TW,SHIMANO,LOOMIS.

LgMouthGambler

Ive had my share of DC reels as well. I no longer own them myself. They are cool, and have their points, but not enough to justify over other models. I know exactly what you are talking about.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

loomisguy

Great system ,mine are flawless. I always liked the VBS system best but I think the DC system outperforms it. I don't think casting distance is the yardstick to use to judge the quality of a reel but I can say my DC will out distance my E5 on my wiggle wart rod.
A wheelbarrow has too many moving parts for some and the DC is about as simple as it gets but you do have to put more spool tension on it than I would have thought.
In it's price range I don't think it can be beat.

calabash digger

That's a good point Loomis guy because when I tested the Curado DC out I tighten it a little more than normal and it performed good. I ran the tension knob looser on the Metanium as the directions said and I was a video last night and a guy said tighten it with fluro and it does better. Will try it out but still gonna sell it and buy another steez.
TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

loomisguy

Another thing to remember is the Curado DC is really just a k model with its own version of the DC braking.
If your comparing it to a Steez your comparing a 180 dollar reel to a 500 dollar plus reel.

calabash digger