Shimano Calcutta 100XT

Started by LgMouthGambler, February 25, 2019, 02:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Just got this in the mail today from Japan. Another killer score from a seller I frequent. This reel is like new, and smooth as hell. No box or papers, but a rare find in this condition, especially for the price. Ots gonna get spooled with 14lb Stren mono and used to toss crankbaits and other treble hook baits.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Went today to pick up a slight mod that this reel needed. The 80mm handle was just too tiny. So I replaced it with a 90mm carbon fiber handle from HawgTech, and Septon knobs.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

dchagn

I'm a Calcutta fan an have a 100GT and may have to try a Hawgtech handle on it. Thanks for the information.

LgMouthGambler

I got use this reel for a good bit of time today. Alls i can say is its a butter reel. They just dont make them like this anymore. The ease of casting and retrieving in just nuts. I really dont like tossing cranks, but now I have a good reason to.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Pacific NW Ron

Looks like a great reel.  I like some of the older round reels.  Occasionally I drag my of red 4500 Garcia out and use it for a day or two, but I'm like you I don't throw cranks very much.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

calabash digger

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND DO NOT LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL MAKE STRAIGHT YOUR PATHS. PRO 3.5-6

DAIWA STEEZ A TW , SV TW,SHIMANO,LOOMIS.

LgMouthGambler

Since I took the carbon fiber handle off this reel and put it on my Bantam MGL, I experimented with some extra parts I had. I'm pretty eased with it. Decided to spool it with 20lb Senshi and try it tossing lizards to be worked slow. Added some HawgTech spool bearings, and greased the gears a bit more. I haven't used the reel all that much since I got it, so I'm bringing it with me tomorrow. Mounted it on the Dobyns Sierra 683.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

It worked out great. Decided to head out Saturday night and fish. The fish were very lazy, and it helped to work my baits really slow. The reel was killer smooth, and didn't skip a beat. Casting was effortless with the new spool bearings.

<")))>{

gtrpickr

I have never used a round reel but have always wanted to try one out. That is one good looking reel you have there.

Bassinkorea

I have a Calcutta 200GT that I bought from Monster Takle many years ago.
I modified it with a longer gold handle, cork handles and different gold star drag, parts from Japan.
It's one of my favotite reels. I use it for dragging Zoom baby brush hogs.

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinkorea on August 07, 2019, 01:44:09 AM
I have a Calcutta 200GT that I bought from Monster Takle many years ago.
I modified it with a longer gold handle, cork handles and different gold star drag, parts from Japan.
It's one of my favotite reels. I use it for dragging Zoom baby brush hogs.

Those are amazing Calcuttas as well. They have the HEG gearing in them. That lowered gear box gives it that signature.