Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pflueger Trion spinning reel discoveries  (Read 366 times)

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Pflueger Trion spinning reel discoveries
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »

I just stripped and cleaned my Pflueger Trion TRI30x spinning reel and discovered some things. I believe the President model has a metal side plate but the Trion is supposed to just be all graphite. My last one which was a prior model was this way. The newer current model which is what I have now actually had a metal plate.

Also, the reel advertises 7 bearings. I only found 5. My last one had 7 so I knew where to look for the missing two. One should be behind the oscillating gear but the gear is not made to accept one. One more should be on the bail line roller but itís only a nylon bushing.

Iím not sure how I feel about the discovery of less bearings than claimed. On one hand itís just a $40 reel, and it also has stood up to several 3 pound bass so I donít question its fishability. I cleaned it up like new and it feels just like it did when it came out of the package. On the other hand I donít like thinking itís supposed to have 7 and only has 5. I downloaded schematics to see what they refer to as bearings but they donít show more than just the 5. One ball bearing on each side of the drive gear (2), and two more on the pinion gear (up to 4) and then the clutch bearing (total of 5). This surprises me from Pflueger.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: Pflueger Trion spinning reel discoveries
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »

2 bearings in the knob?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 03:27:42 AM »

Good point Matt. The knob could have bearings.

Honestly Iíll take the aluminum frame or more aluminum than before over the bearings they took out. If they are in non critical places and the reel feels the same as the older model Iím ok with that. The aluminum will help make the reel a little more rigid when fighting a bigger fish.
I personally hate the feel of graphite bending to a fishes will while I fight it.

But thatís just my opinion on it. On the other hand if itís advertised as 7 and truly only has 5 then they need to change their marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 05:44:41 AM »

The handle knob is not removable. But it could have bearings in it just the same. They have left it to anyone's guess.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »

Is it possible that they changed the reel specs but had a large stock of the boxes for the older 7 bearing models left and just put the new reels in the old boxes?

Still not right, but migjt be a plausible explanation.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 08:16:17 PM »

No, the reel has the 7 bearing logo printed on it as well. I'm gonna go with that they have two in the handle knob that are inaccessible, at least as far as I can see (the older President model with the wooden knob did as well so it's possible). Otherwise they have been deceiving in their advertising and I don't really think that's the case, or at least I don't want it to be. There's no way it wouldn't be found out when people service their reels so I doubt it was deception.

I'd personally rather that the bearings be in the locations they were before, but it hasn't made any difference that I was aware of before now. I've had the reel for 5 years and never tore it down until now and it's always fished just fine, even very enjoyably. The only wear I even see is on the spool shaft as it passes through the pinion gear and that's not much at all and won't affect the function anytime soon. In the end I need to realize I'm probably overthinking things when it comes to bearings and wear, and it's also just a $40 reel. Still, it's the best value in fishing by far in terms of price vs quality.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:37:42 PM by The Rooster »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 23 queries.