New Lews LFS

Started by LgMouthGambler, March 15, 2019, 03:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

I have several of the old LFS reels and they are beat to ^-^ but have never quit working.
If this makes them better that is awesome.

wcmtkj7ep

Little late in replying but i have the Lews Tournament Speed Spool SLP. So far its a very smooth reel and really easy to cast. It is lower profile compared to my other reels but sure fits my palm good.

SFL BassHunter

LMG what does that mean to us regular folk that don't know about reel internals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 21, 2019, 05:18:19 AM
LMG what does that mean to us regular folk that don't know about reel internals?

Just like Daiwa has been doing for ages, and Shimano has got on the train calling it "X ship", the pinion gear on the reels gear set, is dual bearing supported. So, you have one bearing in the frame by where the pinion comes through the frame to meet the spool, and one in the crankplate to meet the other end of the pinion gear. Not that I have ever had any issues with reels that dont have this, but this seems to be the new "craze" in reels. So, now, Doyo has brought this to their lineup. Doyo is the company that makes many of the reels you know and love from Lews, BPS, Browning, Abu, and a few others. They are a manufacturing plant out of Korea.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

They make some excellent reels, the reels put out by everybody today are so much nicer than those from 20 years ago and prices actually haven't risen that much.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 21, 2019, 07:46:26 AM
They make some excellent reels, the reels put out by everybody today are so much nicer than those from 20 years ago and prices actually haven't risen that much.
Rodney

This is very true. We have some of the best options in reels now in the $100-200 range, then we ever did before. Though some say the Lews and such may be inferior, which im not gonna say all brands have their "WTF" aspects, but what they do have on their side (especially Lews) is amazing customer service. Ive said it before, and many have backed me up on it, Lews is #1 in that department. Many of people that I service their reels have Lews, and some of these guys fish HARD. No matter what the problem is, or parts I may need, they are amazing to deal with on the phone, and shipping is prompt. Hell, some of the guys know me as soon as I call, and we usually end up having 15 minute conversations about anything.  lo

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 21, 2019, 08:10:57 AM
Lews is #1 in that department. Many of people that I service their reels have Lews, and some of these guys fish HARD. No matter what the problem is, or parts I may need, they are amazing to deal with on the phone, and shipping is prompt. Hell, some of the guys know me as soon as I call, and we usually end up having 15 minute conversations about anything.  lo
I've always gotten very good service from BPS when I've ordered parts.
Rodney

SFL BassHunter

Thanks for the explanation

Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Flat Rock

I admit I'm a noob when it comes to baitcasting reels, but I hope my resent experiences is of some value...  Most of my baits and lures are 3/8oz

My first reel was a Fishdrops, purchased last summer... I'm having a hard time with spool speed consistency and I'm constantly fighting some type of backlash.

Then a couple months ago I purchase a Alba Garcia Revo.  Although I can set the free spool, I'm having issues with the magnetic part of the adjustment... it acts almost like the magnet setting is reversed cause the magnet I give.. the more it want to backlash.

I just recently purchased the Lews Speed Spool LFS and I immediately noticed a difference with the free spool setting, much more consistent and the magnetic adjustment really works very well... in other words no backlashing.   Its like night and day compared to my other BC's.   I realize you get what you pay for but as a novice, I'm not going to invest $200 - $300 for a reel.  This Speed Spool LFS has given me hope and maybe I can start focus on fishing rather than messing with the reel.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Flat Rock on April 03, 2019, 12:07:10 AM
I admit I'm a noob when it comes to baitcasting reels, but I hope my resent experiences is of some value...  Most of my baits and lures are 3/8oz

My first reel was a Fishdrops, purchased last summer... I'm having a hard time with spool speed consistency and I'm constantly fighting some type of backlash.

Then a couple months ago I purchase a Alba Garcia Revo.  Although I can set the free spool, I'm having issues with the magnetic part of the adjustment... it acts almost like the magnet setting is reversed cause the magnet I give.. the more it want to backlash.

I just recently purchased the Lews Speed Spool LFS and I immediately noticed a difference with the free spool setting, much more consistent and the magnetic adjustment really works very well... in other words no backlashing.   Its like night and day compared to my other BC's.   I realize you get what you pay for but as a novice, I'm not going to invest $200 - $300 for a reel.  This Speed Spool LFS has given me hope and maybe I can start focus on fishing rather than messing with the reel.
Most people new to baitcssters go out and get the cheap ones to learn. I did it. It was a mistake. I bought a bass pro megacast and couldn't cast that thing if my life depended on it. So I then went and spent more money and got a decent reel. A BPS pro Qualifier with dual brakes. Finally I learned.
Good brakes are helpful to a person learning. From your other post in the fluorocarbon section it sounds like you were getting overruns. Meaning your spool is going faster than your line so it bunches up and puffs up causing a tangle.

Not sure why the revo is acting the way it is. It should be a decent reel.
It also sounds like you would benefit more from a centrifugal brake system. Each person cast different. I do better with centrifugal myself. They each work better for different casting styles.
If the LFS is working for you though then maybe you found the right reel!
Forget that as a novice I won't spend x amount till I learn. All you're doing is spending x amount on a bunch or cheaper reels to find one that will work for you. When that x amount could have gone straight to a better reel. Again talking from experience.

It took me many bait casters to find the ones that I like and work well for me. I've finally setttled into the Daiwa Tatula line that goes from 100 to 200 dollars.

But I have a lews team lite which is a fantastic little reel and I still use. That ones got centrifugal brakes. It's expensive though.

Good luck and keep at it!

Florida Bass Fishing

Flat Rock

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on April 03, 2019, 05:19:39 AM
Most people new to baitcssters go out and get the cheap ones to learn. I did it. It was a mistake. I bought a bass pro megacast and couldn't cast that thing if my life depended on it. So I then went and spent more money and got a decent reel. A BPS pro Qualifier with dual brakes. Finally I learned.
Good brakes are helpful to a person learning. From your other post in the fluorocarbon section it sounds like you were getting overruns. Meaning your spool is going faster than your line so it bunches up and puffs up causing a tangle.

Not sure why the revo is acting the way it is. It should be a decent reel.
It also sounds like you would benefit more from a centrifugal brake system. Each person cast different. I do better with centrifugal myself. They each work better for different casting styles.
If the LFS is working for you though then maybe you found the right reel!
Forget that as a novice I won't spend x amount till I learn. All you're doing is spending x amount on a bunch or cheaper reels to find one that will work for you. When that x amount could have gone straight to a better reel. Again talking from experience.

It took me many bait casters to find the ones that I like and work well for me. I've finally setttled into the Daiwa Tatula line that goes from 100 to 200 dollars.

But I have a lews team lite which is a fantastic little reel and I still use. That ones got centrifugal brakes. It's expensive though.

Good luck and keep at it!

Thanks for your input....     

The test was on a M/M , a MH fast and MH Xfast.. all 7' rods.

I was able to put some time in testing each reel to different rods and what I found was the Lews by far was the smoothest easiest to cast with a 90%+ cast to backlash ratio.  That mean 10% of the time it was just a bad cast all together, my error.  The rest of the time, didn't matter how hard I threw it, the reel was ready to go. It was smooth, couldn't really feel anything during a cast. 

The Alba Garcia Revo was ok..  It was less forgiving and tend to back lash easier when I'm not doing a perfect cast.  The biggest thing I noticed was I could feel the line peeling off the spool or maybe it was the bearings, felt cheap compared to the Lews.

And finally the Fishdrops...  Could not control the spool, the more I dialed in the magnets the more it backlashed. However the spool was quiet and felt no vibration, never the less was inconsistent.

Anyone want a fishdrops reel ?

Oldfart9999

Flat, the best advice you can get is to the "thumb", using your thumb to control your cast, you'll get better accuracy and distance, it takes a bit of time but is well worth doing. Backyards or parks are great practice places.
Rodney

Flat Rock

I sold my my Fishdrops to a guy that for some strange reason really wanted it bad.. good luck to him..

Yesterday I ordered another Lews , but this time the Tournament MB for $99 for left hand model, should get tomorrow.  I'm excited to see if it works any better than the LFS model.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Flat Rock on April 24, 2019, 11:49:00 PM
I sold my my Fishdrops to a guy that for some strange reason really wanted it bad.. good luck to him..

Yesterday I ordered another Lews , but this time the Tournament MB for $99 for left hand model, should get tomorrow.  I'm excited to see if it works any better than the LFS model.
The MB is a great little reel. It has dual brakes (magnetic and centrifugal). Brass gears, and all the clickies. Enjoy. I have one that I keep at the shop to play with when I got a few extra minutes. Also, a few of my customers are avid anglers, so they will borrow it to kill time while we work on their cars. Lol. Easy to adjust to prevent even the amateur from backlashing.

<")))>{

Flat Rock

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 25, 2019, 04:42:58 AM
The MB is a great little reel. It has dual brakes (magnetic and centrifugal). Brass gears, and all the clickies. Enjoy. I have one that I keep at the shop to play with when I got a few extra minutes. Also, a few of my customers are avid anglers, so they will borrow it to kill time while we work on their cars. Lol. Easy to adjust to prevent even the amateur from backlashing.

<")))>{

That is great news...   Where the hell is the mail lady..?     lo    Speaking of the lil gal, she just drove past... She better be stopping on her way back   ~bb

Flat Rock

Nope.. new carrier and all he had was my oil filters...   ::)   

The Rooster

Where can this be ordered for $99?. I only see them for $140 most of the time.

Flat Rock

Quote from: The Rooster on April 25, 2019, 09:02:26 PM

Amazon...  the RH was 139.00 but for some reason the LH was only 99.00

Flat Rock

Well My Lews Tourn MB came in about 30 mins after the mailman today..   strung it up with K9 and took it out in the yard for a few casts, well actually a dozen and not one backlash or birds nest right out of the box... It does have a different feel compared  to the LFS model but no a bad one.  I can't wait to give it a workout  ~cf

Oldfart9999

Quote from: The Rooster on April 25, 2019, 09:02:26 PM
The BPS PRO QUALIFIER has what LMG is talking about, they go for 99$ and on sale, several times a year, for 80$, sometimes less. You can order them online and they qualify for free shipping. All my baitcasters and I've only got 3 reels that aren't PQs, for the money they're a good reel.
Rodney

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on April 26, 2019, 05:38:09 AM
The BPS PRO QUALIFIER has what LMG is talking about, they go for 99$ and on sale, several times a year, for 80$, sometimes less. You can order them online and they qualify for free shipping. All my baitcasters and I've only got 3 reels that aren't PQs, for the money they're a good reel.
Rodney

I got my MB for $99.95 shipped to me. Its was a special one of the suppliers on ebay was doing for a short time. They can be seen for $110-115 regularly. The PQ is basically the same reel, just less bearings.

Flat Rock

I bought mine thru Amazon for $99 for LH, what I use...  The RH was $139 though

BarryFL

Quote from: Flat Rock on April 26, 2019, 10:24:21 AM
I bought mine thru Amazon for $99 for LH, what I use...  The RH was $139 though
When you shop on Amazon, always click through the different options (sizes, color, speed, right/left hand, etc...). Prices can be significantly different. For example, I just bought some Columbia fishing shoes. Popular color (blue) was 59.99. Yellow were 19.99. Guess which I bought.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Flat Rock

Quote from: TR21FL on April 26, 2019, 05:44:36 PM
When you shop on Amazon, always click through the different options (sizes, color, speed, right/left hand, etc...). Prices can be significantly different. For example, I just bought some Columbia fishing shoes. Popular color (blue) was 59.99. Yellow were 19.99. Guess which I bought.

~Barry~

Absolutely...