Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alligator Alley 3/17/19  (Read 238 times)

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
Alligator Alley 3/17/19
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:33:50 AM »

Rick and I arrived to the ramp a little bit before 7:45, to find Ranger&Bass and Roberto launched and ready to go. After our hello's, Rick and I headed South on the Miami Canal. Considering there were several trailers already on the parking lot, there were no boats on the South End.

Rick broke the ice first, catching the first bass of the day, and I followed suit shortly after. The fishing action was consistent. I was doing ok on the frog and Rick was doing well with his assortment of techniques.

After what seemed like a quick four and half hours, we had to run North to meet up with R&B and Roberto for our lunch break. During lunch, we compared notes, hung out for a little while chit chatting and went back to fishing at 1 pm.

This time we ran North, a short while later Matt met up with the group, and we hung out for a while fishing and chatting for a spell. Although hanging with Matt can be very fun and entertaining, the bite became very slow to non-existent. Rick and I decided to head South again, and Mat ran West.

We made it South fished for a bit, and quickly noticed the bite had completely shut down in this area as well. Reports were coming in from R&B and Matt that they were catching out WEST, so Rick and I decided to ran out to MM39. We quickly found Matt and he had already caught a few nice fish inside the pads, we followed suit.

Fortunately, Rick and I found our rhythm, and started boating fish again. Rick fished the bottom, and I began swimming uvibes and swimbaits on top inside the pads. We had several double hook ups and saw a good number of decent sized fish in this area. I had to get going at 6pm and luckily we stopped, because the rain was heading our way. All in all we had productive outing and we were fortunate enough to have boated 48 fish.

Day in perspective: Rick, as always brother, I had blast, and tons of laughs. Although we boated a good amount of fish, we had to work and cast a ton to figure them out. The bite was on and off, and the bass were never really "on" but for only short while in the late afternoon. The glades is setting up to explode with phenomenal fishing very soon. I saw several big fish reveal themselves but quickly disappear back into the depths. It was pleasure seeing R&B, Roberto, and Matt.

Thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:41:04 AM by Bassinlou »
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
Alligator Alley 3/17/19
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:05:41 AM »

Had a great time out there yesterday. Fishing with Lou is always fun. Meeting up with R&B, RChiuz and LMG was great! Hadn't seen Roberto in a while.

Sorry folks. Lou's ugly mug dun ruined this pic...

Like Lou mentioned we started on the South side and I caught the first fish on a cheap popper I bought a while ago while on sale from BPS. I really like it.

I've got plenty of fish pics that are mostly posted over in the Meet and Greet thread. So I'll keep pics to a minimum here.
I did throw an assortment of baits early on including a spook, spinnerbait and eventually settled on a wacky trick worm with a 1/16oz bullet weight pegged. The fish seemed to like it as I worked the ledge and got some hits as it dropped. The zoom trick worms are great for wacky because they float. Giving them spectacular action when you pop em or twitch em. Even going down they flutter nicely.
I probably caught 5  or 6 on the trick worm and then that bite shut down for me. It seemed the fish were on and off. We would hit a flurry and then it would die then another flurry. When the trick worm bite died I switched to a uvibe trig, same weight. I worked the ledge and found a bite. When it slowed down I went to a 1/8 weight and started catching more fish.

We took the lunch break and met up with R&B and RChiuz. We talked a bit and gave them tips on how we were fishing and what was working for us.

While fishing deep is not one of my strengths, I feel more comfortable with it after yesterday. It's not to say I can't fish deep, I just prefer to fish shallow. I just couldn't get anything going shallow.
Unfortunately after lunch we hit a major lull in the action. I think we went a good 2 hours maybe even 3 with just 3 fish in the boat. Heading back down South didn't help much either. So we headed west.
I have a personal preference of the Miami Canal for a few reasons. I find the contours of the canal more to my liking and also if you get away from the road there is no road noise.
But to find active fish we had to make the change. We found some bigger fish over on the Alley. Water was clear and you could see the big rocks on the ledge several feet down.

Lou kept the boat angled very well for me to fish those ledges while he focused on the shallow water. We both got into a rhythm here and got back into a groove. I had gone back to a 1/16oz and uvibe and switched back from braid to mono. I like braid for the shallow because of the vegetation, but with the clear water I found I was getting better quality bites and more bites on clear line than on braid down deep. Two biggest fish were way down there, the 18.25" and 17.50" both put up a fight. They had my drag going pretty good and getting them up was no easy task, they wanted to stay down and would surge down several times. They eventually lost the battle though.
I do enjoy a good fight as opposed to having my drag tight using braid to power the fish in.So when I get a chance to do it, I take the opportunity.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:11:34 AM by SFL BassHunter »
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
Re: Alligator Alley 3/17/19
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »

Wow! 48. Looks like a great time! Love it when the fish wear us out!

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »

That's the thing... the bass didnt wear me out, I had to go home...

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »

Good times guys. Glad I could help with the last slew of fish. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 08:41:20 AM »

Your catch helped us out big time. Thanks brother!!

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 08:49:19 AM »

Yeah I still had another hour or two left in the tank after getting a second wind lol.
But today I'm pooped.

Glad we ran west after you posted your fish. It helped.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »

Congrats guys on catching some good numbers.  Who caught the big fish of the day?  It's amazing how you came up with the idea of using the trick worm instead of a senko, for a lot more action.  Did you use that black with the red line down the middle like I had three weeks ago, killer in the glades.  Hey congrats guys, sounds like a fun day on the water. ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »

Thanks for the great report and looks like everyone had a fun time and caught some fish and trees also.  lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Deadeye

• Charter Member
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 04:11:57 PM »

Many years back I was in a spell where I could get not bites on anything. Tried a Weightless Trick Worm rigged t-style and toss out and let it be.

It would sink super slow with the hook weight just enough to make that happen.

Most hits came after it set for a bit. 

When days get super tough I pull it out of my bag of tricks and give it a go. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnít.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
Alligator Alley 3/17/19
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 08:18:09 PM »

Congrats guys on catching some good numbers.  Who caught the big fish of the day?  It's amazing how you came up with the idea of using the trick worm instead of a senko, for a lot more action.  Did you use that black with the red line down the middle like I had three weeks ago, killer in the glades.  Hey congrats guys, sounds like a fun day on the water. ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Wasn't my idea. It was yours lol. It works!
Yup I found the color finally and bought a few bags. They are beautiful worms.

I like that they float.

I caught the 2 biggest fish. 17.5 and 18.25" deep on uvibes.

One of the great things about fishing with others is you learn things and apply them.
I've used a trick work wacky before but never the zoom ones. I like these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »

I've used a trick work wacky before but never the zoom ones. I like these!

Rick I had to stop buying zoom rubber lures. For me they tear up too easily. I have to wonder if zoom does this on purpose to keep us coming back sooner rather than later. For me, it just turned me off and drove me away from them.

I now use Bitters since John's rubber holds up better. Let me know if you find the same thing with them.

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »

I have both zoom and bitters.

I have no issues with zoom plastics for the most part.
I don't like the Grove that bitters vibe have.
But I like the mega vibe from bitters.

I can usually catch several fish on a regular zoom uvibe. The trick worms hold up fine when trigged. Wacky it doesn't matter what brand you use they will be torn up.
Also down here it doesn't matter. The worst enemy of any plastics is our exotics and also sunfish. They rip the tails off any brand uvibe you throw.

Flukes do rip up easy but I also use bitters and find they rip up just about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »

When wacky rigging trick worms, you must restick the hook to a new solid piece of material after every fish.  If you donít the material will pull off easily.  This is because all the stess is on a very small piece of material.  You donít have to hook right in the middle every time.  They will work fine if a little off center.  I have been using wacky trick for at least 20 years, and sometimes they want it snapped off the bottom, sometimes just a slow pull.  Especially good near drop-offs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:31:13 PM by big g »
(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 03:25:50 PM »

Never had any durability issues with Zoom on my end. Been using them since I was a kid. The compound seems more durable in their darker colored baits, but I can get quite a few fish out of one UV Worm (until the little rascals nip at them).
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 26 queries.