Spinning and braid

Started by Oldfart9999, March 26, 2019, 06:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

i've been using braid on spinning reels for a long time, always with a leader, then after reading a post where Bo James says he sees no difference between leaders and no leaders I tired going leaderless, no difference in catch rates so why have another knot between me and the hook. I started using 20 lb Fireline, a decent braid, didn't have problems with it, then 5 or 6 years ago I started cutting back to 15 lb test with a slight increase in catch rate and no decline in break offs. I have one dropshot outfit spooled with 10 lb braid and I do use a leader, if the weight hangs up I don't lose everything.
A couple of years ago I started to use 10 lb Power Pro for shaky head and the Ned rig, I'm not sure why, haven't really thought about it but I started to catch more fish so I'm  spooling up with more of it and less 15 lb. I have limber rods and good drags so I'm not finding an increase in break offs so I'll stick with it. I do use heavier braid in cover but even with my pitching and flipping stuff I normally don't go over 20 lb maybe 30 lb but that's anthoer thread.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pferox

I've been using braid a long time on spinning gear also.  I think line weight is very dependent on where you fish.

I've found that any braid thinner than 20lb, or even 30lb in some areas doesn't have a chance against the abrasive and sharp shells I seem to always end up running across.  I have some areas that 8lb mono is all you need to fish because of the size of fish and lack of heavy undergrowth, but you need some thickness to a braid to make it through, for some reason.

An 8 or 10 foot top shot of mono usually helps prolong the life of the braid, and if you work it that way can get away with a thinner braid until a fish takes a run past a barnacle encrusted pipe or rock and then it is game over, but the same can actually happen with mono.                                         
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Princeton_Man

I use 15lb PowerPro on all but one of my spinning rig setups. Regardless of the type of line I could use, I'd probably never use anything heavier than 15lb anyway. My drop shot rig is spooled with 15lb Tatsu fluorocarbon.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

njpaulc

I've always used straight braid to lure because my favorite leader knot (surgeons knot) would always slip.  Thinking about trying leaders this year just to see if I'm missing anything.

Pferox

Quote from: njpaulc on March 26, 2019, 09:40:45 AM
I've always used straight braid to lure because my favorite leader knot (surgeons knot) would always slip.  Thinking about trying leaders this year just to see if I'm missing anything.

Leaders have their place and can be useful, try the slim beauty knot, when done right, hasn't slipped once on me.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Stren_g

Another vote for braid on spinning gear. I'll use a leader if I'm around cover that may cut braid, and it's sometimes nice for breaking off a nasty snag if need be. I use an FG knot for the connection.

BrandonK

Spinning reels and braid were made for one another. I have 15lb and 10lb PowerPro on my spinning setups. I typically do not use a leader, mostly because the water here in eastern N.C. has a max visibility of 2ft on a great day

Smallie_Stalker

Rodney, you said "A couple of years ago I started to use 10 lb Power Pro for shaky head and the Ned rig, I'm not sure why, haven't really thought about it but I started to catch more fish so I'm  spooling up with more of it and less 15 lb."

I personally believe it is he difference in the diameter of the lines. The thinner the diameter the line the more action you can get out of the bait with less effort.

If you've got wind creating a small current for example the bait will have more action with 10 lb. diameter than 15 lb diameter - all other things being equal. If you are using a dropshot you won't have to impart as much action to your rig with the smaller diameter line to get the same amount of movement out of your bait.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on March 26, 2019, 04:46:51 PM
Rodney, you said "A couple of years ago I started to use 10 lb Power Pro for shaky head and the Ned rig, I'm not sure why, haven't really thought about it but I started to catch more fish so I'm  spooling up with more of it and less 15 lb."

I personally believe it is he difference in the diameter of the lines. The thinner the diameter the line the more action you can get out of the bait with less effort.
I would agree, kit's just one of those things that worked, that's all I needed to know so move on. I do think that there is a bit more to it but I'm not wasting brain cells to figure it out, at my age I need all I have left to just live. lo lo ;) ::)
I've used it on the edges of grass beds and around docks, it can get a little dicey but if you fight the fish instead of just horsing it in you can get a good size bass out of some real tight places. One place I use the dropshot is a concrete breakwall and docks, it has to look funny when I start to play the fish while moving the boat away from cover and out toward deeper water while playing with my drag and the rod looks like a big "U", my happy dance. lo lo ::) ::) I get close to the wall so I can pitch the rig under the dock by the wall.
Rodney

T-Rig

Berkley Fireline works great on spinning --- smoke 14lb. is what I use ... mostly open water and rip rap ... holds up well .... performs well ... soft plastics t rigged ...

tight lines ...

Oldfart9999

Quote from: T-Rig on April 06, 2019, 09:22:30 PM
Berkley Fireline works great on spinning --- smoke 14lb. is what I use ... mostly open water and rip rap ... holds up well .... performs well ... soft plastics t rigged ...

tight lines ...
I used Fireline for a long time, almost from the day it came out but I found Power Pro to be more supple, at least new, and the same or less costly. FireLine is an excellent line though.
Rodney

redux

I have been fishing around a lot of wood recently and a leader is invaluable. Braid cuts into wood and will lock you up. Flouro won't. I usually don't use a leader when I'm in grass. Because flouro won't cut vegetation it locks up in the grass where braid will cut the grass and keep you moving.

Everything has a place.
You can't win of you're not in.