Any Dobyns/walleye guys?

Started by Marty-WI, March 29, 2019, 03:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty-WI

Being a Wisconsin angler, most of my fishing is for walleyes.  The last few years I've discovered how good our bass fishing actually is and proceeded to feed my new found passion of mixing in some quality bass fishing.  Since then, I've purchased 3 Dobyns rods thanks to this site.  2 baitcasters (both DC734C) and and 1 spinning (DC703SH).  I love the Dobyns so much that I thought about replacing my Loomis walleye rods.  I'd be using the future Dobyns rods to vertical jig or pitch 1/8 - 1/4 oz jigs.  I was thinking the XP options:  DC701/702 or the DC681/682.

Are there any walleye guys on this site that use Dobyns for jigging walleyes?   

fishballer06

I do a fair bit of walleye fishing, but primarily bass. For jigs in that size range, I'd go with the 702. You'll want the extra backbone over the 701 for driving the hooks into that bony roof of the mouth that a walleye has.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

zippyduck

Quote from: fishballer06 on March 29, 2019, 04:09:39 PM
I do a fair bit of walleye fishing, but primarily bass. For jigs in that size range, I'd go with the 702. You'll want the extra backbone over the 701 for driving the hooks into that bony roof of the mouth that a walleye has.
Ditto,

But I use a 3 power but I fish Erie. some of those fish are BIG!
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Marty-WI

I've fished Erie, Sturgeon Bay, Bay de Noc, and spring walleyes on the Fox River in Green Bay.  All traditional big fish spots where a 703 would be awesome.   My home water, so to speak, is Lake Winnebago, where there is no size on walleyes.  The system is a fish factory, but a doesn't have a large population of big fish like the aforementioned spots do.  Most fish are 15-22" with the possibility of a 5-7lber.  My favorite ways to fish the system is to pitch light jigs to wind blown rocky shorelines, in the rivers connecting the lakes, the reefs or shallow fish in the weeds.  That is why I thought the 701 would be a consideration.  I like light action rods I guess for this body of water.  If that rod had the backbone, i thought it would be fun considering how light my 703 is.  Perhaps the 702 or 682 would still be better. 

Wiscmike

Marty , I use the Dx702. Definitely would not go down to the 701.  Another fantastic walleye rod is the Sierra 692. Good luck

Marty-WI

Gary Dobyns

Great info here. We actually work with a couple Pro Walleye guys. The DC 702SF is super popular Walleye rod.