Line frustration

Started by Gotsnodooks, March 30, 2019, 01:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gotsnodooks

Ok...so...
I have all Pflueger spinning reels, a couple Supremes and a couple Presidentials...my problem I'm having isn't with the reels but the line.  I've tried too many different brands to single one out but my common problem is the line spooling back off of the reel.  I've played around with making sure the line is coming off of the spool the proper direction and I seem to always have this issue.  I like to fish an 8lb fluorocarbon but I get so frustrated when I'm casting and I get these wind knots or even after the bail is closed the line just spools off of the reel.  Ca anyone give me a little insight here because after a fishing trip or two I've got to put on new line because I've had to cut so much off because of these knots and free spooling.   :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

zippyduck

Tie your line to something and walk 75 yards . Close the bail and stretch out the line.
This can be done several times before needing to change the line.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

It's either A:too much line on the spool. Or B:stupid fluoro.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

loomisguy

Sounds like you have too much line on it. I always leave a 1/8 of a inch or so from the lip of the spool.
Also ,never close the bail with the reel handle, close it by hand.
I've found that Invizx is about as good as gets when it comes to flouro on a spinning reel.

Nutoy

One problem is overfilling the reel.
The other problem is the spool on the reel and the spool the line comes on are two different sizes.
Even if you make sure the line is coming off the spool in the right direction, there is going to be line twist.
Solution: Spool reel but do not tie on a lure. As soon as you launch and put the big motor in gear, start letting out line. You don't need to totally un-spool the reel but let out about three cast lengths worth.
With the motor still in gear, point the rod tip at the line and crank it back in. Do this several times if needed.
If you're using a bait that creates line twist and start to have problems, do it again.

cannonx4

I seen a video the other day of a guy filling up a reel. He put the spool of line in a small bowl of hot water, before he starts loading the line. The hot water relaxes the fluorocarbon line. As the line comes off of the spool, the spool will flip over when needed to keep the twist out of the line. It worked slick, next time I have to re-spool, I will definitely use this method.

Princeton_Man

I've been there and lots of things can contribute to line jumping off. Too heavy of line, overfilled spool, line twist, and even the type/brand.

I found wind knots seem to be prevalent in light lines and related to casting style but, believe line twist plays a part too.

I've eliminated all of those issues by using braid on two of my spinning rigs. The others I do what Zippy suggests only I use a ball bearing swivel and practice pull and troll the line off in the lake, then wind it back on.

I'm going to get one of these eventually.  I believe American Spirit is the original but there's all kinds of copies out there from China.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Jim, I have one of these that I have had for a number of years.  Works great.  I use it for both spinning and casting reels.  Especially useful to provide the right tension to the line while spooling. 

Gotsnodooks

Quote from: loomisguy on March 30, 2019, 04:43:35 AM
Sounds like you have too much line on it. I always leave a 1/8 of a inch or so from the lip of the spool.
Also ,never close the bail with the reel handle, close it by hand.
I've found that Invizx is about as good as gets when it comes to flouro on a spinning reel.

I always close by hand and also always follow the specs on the reel for how much line, based on test, it should hold.  I had thought it was too much line at first as well but still had this problem a lot even after removing line from the reel.

Gotsnodooks

Quote from: Nutoy on March 30, 2019, 05:49:46 AM
One problem is overfilling the reel.
The other problem is the spool on the reel and the spool the line comes on are two different sizes.
Even if you make sure the line is coming off the spool in the right direction, there is going to be line twist.
Solution: Spool reel but do not tie on a lure. As soon as you launch and put the big motor in gear, start letting out line. You don't need to totally un-spool the reel but let out about three cast lengths worth.
With the motor still in gear, point the rod tip at the line and crank it back in. Do this several times if needed.
If you're using a bait that creates line twist and start to have problems, do it again.

I've heard of this before but haven't really tried it.  I'll give it a shot net time out. 

Gotsnodooks

Quote from: cannonx4 on March 30, 2019, 06:19:11 AM
I seen a video the other day of a guy filling up a reel. He put the spool of line in a small bowl of hot water, before he starts loading the line. The hot water relaxes the fluorocarbon line. As the line comes off of the spool, the spool will flip over when needed to keep the twist out of the line. It worked slick, next time I have to re-spool, I will definitely use this method.

I like this idea also I'll give it a try.  Restringing my reels all the time is getting $$$$

loomisguy

What size are the reels ?

SFL BassHunter

Gotsnodooks, here is a question are you using line off one of those BIG bulk spools?

I bought a bulk senshi spool and had this issue when putting it on my spinning reel. No matter what I tried it would unspool. I came to the determination that because its sitting so long on a big spool the line memory is adjusted to the size of that spool vs the much smaller diameter of my reel.

To resolve this I sprayed my line with KVD line conditioner. Soaked almost. From inside to outside. Made the line as tight as possible on the reel and left it for a few days. Going back and spraying "soaking" it with KVD to let some of that stuff seep in. This fixed the problem for me.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

ike8120

Have you tried any KVD line conditioner, I started using it and seems to work pretty good. Folks swear by it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4YwZzU3pZc
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

njpaulc

How many is it plus 3 (?) on dragging line behind boat, works great.  Over filled spools are also a big problem.  I find, when I put on line, if i stop after a few cranks and the slack line twists, if i flip the spool over I don't have a problem with line jumping off the reel. 

SteveTX

Pretty much what most have said here should eliminate the issue. In your specific case I would concentration on a few things that should really help.

1. KVD line conditioner used while spooling up several times. Spray again the day before a trip. Also before leaving the ramp wouldn't hurt. The bottle lasts a long time I am not stingy with it.

2. To spool fluro or mono first soak the line in hot water. After properly spooling up again put the spool off the spinning reel in hot water sometimes reheating the water and repeat putting the newly spooled spool in the hot water. This will help reset the line memory to conform more to the actual spool of your reel.

3. I also agree on dragging line behind boat works great when having twist issues. I have the best luck making sure nothing is tied to the end of my line when I do this.

4. For me the best solution is braid. Of course that is a personal choice and some don't like it but guaranteed my line never "jumps" off the spool unassisted.

Bassin_VA

I know I don't have to but spray KVD on everything even braid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Terry G

You can also pull your line through the grass in your yard and it will remove line twist.

FLO GROWN

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 30, 2019, 04:21:39 AM
It's either A:too much line on the spool. Or B:stupid fluoro.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk
Lol!!! I agree on that FC not for me either

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

"Tight lines"

Gotsnodooks

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 31, 2019, 07:28:23 AM
Gotsnodooks, here is a question are you using line off one of those BIG bulk spools?

I bought a bulk senshi spool and had this issue when putting it on my spinning reel. No matter what I tried it would unspool. I came to the determination that because its sitting so long on a big spool the line memory is adjusted to the size of that spool vs the much smaller diameter of my reel.

To resolve this I sprayed my line with KVD line conditioner. Soaked almost. From inside to outside. Made the line as tight as possible on the reel and left it for a few days. Going back and spraying "soaking" it with KVD to let some of that stuff seep in. This fixed the problem for me.

I've used both but yes right now I have a 2000 yard spool.  I haven't heard of the line conditioner before but I'll look for some next time I go to Bass Pro or I'll see if I can find it on amazon.  I'll give that a shot.

Oldfart9999

When you spool the line soak a rag in KVD conditioner and run the line through it, cleans the line and helps putting tension it, spool to an 1/8th inch from the top of the spool evenly, close the bail by hand when you cast ,lift the tip of the rod a bit, just enough to take the slack out of the line before closing the bail. If you have slack when you close the bail you can throw an extra loop or 2 onto the bail. Do not be surprised to find out you still get twist, it'll take a lot longer though. Fighting a big fish with a drag set to not break the line so the spool spin will cause some twist. You live with it. If you notice that twist is starting and decide to run the line behind the boat to get rid of it run the line through a rag while you spool it back onto the reel, it'll clean it.
I got the tip about raising the rod a bit from Woo Daves, it works.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

ike8120

Quote from: Gotsnodooks on March 30, 2019, 10:03:24 AM
I've heard of this before but haven't really tried it.  I'll give it a shot net time out.

here is a review https://www.tacklescout.com/kvd-line-and-lure-review/
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Gotsnodooks on April 01, 2019, 05:25:18 PM
I've used both but yes right now I have a 2000 yard spool.  I haven't heard of the line conditioner before but I'll look for some next time I go to Bass Pro or I'll see if I can find it on amazon.  I'll give that a shot.
It'll help. It's a bit expensive but it's worth it for those lines that want to be a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

redux

Flouro is too expensive to fill an entire spool with IMHO. Learn the FG and/or Red Phillips knots and use a leader. These knots are small and go through guides pretty dang well when casting. The standard Red can hang a bit so just finish it off with a Rizzuto like you do with an FG. FG takes a bit of time so I tie that at home and the Red I can tie on the water.

Depending on how deep you are going you can use only the amount of flouro you actually need and don't have to deal with all the crap that comes with the line memory. You get the best of both.

Or not. Just an idea.
You can't win of you're not in.