Sleep Number Style Beds

Started by Mike Cork, April 04, 2019, 11:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

My back is "tore up from the floor up" (Three surgeries all installing hardware) and my doc told me about two months ago that I have the neck issues typically found in a 80 year old man that worked hard until he was 65.

My sleep is horrible at best. Even on nights where I manage to put together 6 straight hours, without waking up to walk off pain, I'm so stiff I can't move and wish I would have woke up to walk it out... I can't win with sleep.

So all you guys that suffer like I do, what say you? These bed companies that make these style beds, make huge claims appealing to the back sufferer...

I'd gladly pay a couple grand to get quality sleep, but I'd be pissed if it didn't help.

One advantage I see up front is that I change regularly, I don't know why but for a couple months sleeping on my right side is best, then it will switch to my left side, then my stomach or maybe with a body pillow (never my back, if I wake up on my back it's a day death sentence). My point is, there is never more than a couple months in which I can get comfortable enough to at least fall asleep before I have to find a new way to lay down. I wonder if with a bed like this, would changing the stiffness of the bed help with these issues? Soft for a few weeks then firm for a few weeks. This would obviously be a personal observation...

My question is, who has them and who likes them and if you have one maybe a small review on the brand you bought. Lastly did you get one that inclines or just adjustable firmness, and your thoughts? Because of the way I sleep I don't think I'd need the adjustable versions, but I don't want to "Wish" I got it down the road...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Ron Fogelson

We have had one for like 4/5 years, went with the mid price mattress and opted for the adjustable frame.  I'd recommend if going for the adjustable frame is to get the his/her separate control so is one of you want the bed up the other isn't stuck with it up.

Look it might be me but for the 1st two weeks I loved it, best sleep Id had for years,,,,,, D hated it no matter what setting her hip was killing her sleeping on her side.  She had it so soft that ended up sleeping on the wood sub base.  Adding air to it only made it firmer and hurt her hip more,,,, because it hurt already.   She went and bought a memory foam topper and it fixed her issue but now I hate it.  Its partly because for whatever reason that topper hurts my shoulders and part is she likes the bed elevated but as tall as I am to sleep like that the bed bends me at my ribs where D bends at the waist.

So know what you want, and spend the extra cash and get the separate adjustable mattress and bed frame,,,, if you don't like it you can send the mattress back without question however you will be stuck with the frame,,,, but you can use it with a memory foam.  Also ask D what we bought for our camper,,, found a hell of a deal on a cooling memory foam, liked it so much bought a 2nd one for the deer camp.  Got it on Amazon with free shipping, takes a day or two to open it up and let it fluff back up from being vacuum packed for the shipment.

Deadeye

We don't have one and I don't believe I've ever slept on one.

However the old mattress we had was killing my back and the wife's Hip and Shoulder. We went shopping for a new one and stopped at a local manufacturer and tried theirs. The name was Fox Mattress and they are made in Daytona.

The sales guys was very knowledgeable (he had been there for 40 years) and he showed us that not only the Top mattered but also what type of foam that was used and how it had an impact on how they felt. We tried laying on several and found the "right" one.

Of course it was one of the more expensive ones and we ended up paying around $2500 if I remember right. But the Sleep Difference was Night vs Day. Now both of us sleep great and wale up without being in pain just from sleeping.

Occasionally whe the Grandkids come to visit one of us will sleep with them on the old bed we put in the spare room and I hurt every day when I wake up from sleeping on it.

It has convinced me that a Good Mattress makes all the difference when you are getting older and have a hurt body.  I've had 2-3 Drs tell me as well that I have the back of a 70-80 year old man and I'm mid 50's.

Id suggest going to different Mattress Places and trying different ones until you find the "right" one for you, you will be glad you did.

BigDBasser

We have a Sleep Number mattress and can honestly say that it was worth every penny we paid for it.  Ours is fully adjustable, head and foot, but does not have the memory foam.  Ours has a 4" pad on it that is reversible but I know that we don't use the memory foam.  I set my side and forget it, but the wife is constantly changing her side for whatever reason.  Once you have it set for the firmness, you will love it.  It's pricey, but worth it.

Mike Cork

Great stuff guys, thanks. Anyone else please jump in.

Cork's Reel Service

apenland01

I'm assuming you've already spent some time on The Mattress Underground?  It's a great forum for bed shopping and I did a good bit of research before buying my last mattress.

I ended up with a Talalay blended latex mattress with a medium support layer and soft comfort layer.  I probably should have gone firm/soft or firm/medium, since I'm around 205, but it is still a very comfortable bed that I've slept on for about 3 years now.  It's holding up very well.  My bed would be ideal for someone weighing less than me.

I was in an accident in 2011 that fractured 4 of my vertebrae (T3, T9, L2-3) and I struggle to sleep some nights.  It's a crapshoot on whether my alarm or back wakes me up in the morning.  6 hours is a great night for me.

When I was looking for a mattress, I was looking at rigs that were $5-6k and ended up with my current setup for $1,400 delivered and setup.

I think the advantage to the adjustable beds is if you sleep with a spouse.  I just have to be comfortable, but I sleep alone, so as long as I'm comfortable all is well.  If you sleep in the same bed with your spouse, you both need to comfortable.  That's another part of the equation.....

Here's a link to the mattress underground if you care to read around

https://www.themattressunderground.com/

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

Wizard

3 back surgeries, 2 neck surgeries, right hip replacement, 3 calf surgeries and no Achilles tendon in tight leg. 2 bouts of MRSA and 5 or 6 wounds.  I can't use a bed of any kind. I roll into a bad position and I'm in pain. I use a recliner to sleep. When in the correct position, I can feel the pain drain from my body. I usually sleep 6-8 hrs. but have slept 15 hrs. at times. If you use a recliner to sleep, your feet have to be supported while reclined. Make sure you buy a long enough recliner. I suggest you buy a recliner from Best Home Furnishings. This company builds most of the recliners built in the USA. Most furnishing companies such as Lazy Boy buy from them. Buying directly from Best Home Furnishings will save you 30-50% under Lazy Boy and up to 75% if on sale. A recliner may not be best for you but it is worth trying several demos just in case. There are only 2 retail stores in the country. One is in St. Louis.

Wizard

FD

I bought the expensive tempurpedic a few years ago and can't sleep on anything else.

Amy found the TB-12 sheets at Under Armour a few years ago. They have some kind of infrared reflective material in them and they take a few nights to get used to but make an incredible difference in the muscle stiffness. But they're also pricey.

I slept in a very nice hotel bed in Jacksonville last night and I can feel the difference this morning.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacia est
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Mike Cork

So just sheets help? A temperature deal? I'm willing to try :-*

I have a really good tempurpedic now but it just can't keep up with my spine issues...  :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

FD

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 12, 2019, 01:38:56 PM
So just sheets help? A temperature deal? I'm willing to try :-*

I have a really good tempurpedic now but it just can't keep up with my spine issues...  :surrender:
Sorry Mike, I did not see the question until today. But Yes, sheets help. It's muscle recovery technology that the pro athletes use. If you can't find them online, let me know. I have a few NIB king spares we bought when they were on sale.

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Mike Cork

Quote from: FD on September 27, 2019, 03:57:49 AM
Sorry Mike, I did not see the question until today. But Yes, sheets help. It's muscle recovery technology that the pro athletes use. If you can't find them online, let me know. I have a few NIB king spares we bought when they were on sale.

Thank you sir, I'll do some digging.

Cork's Reel Service