Curado I spool slip issue

Started by bucketmouth 87, April 13, 2019, 10:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucketmouth 87

My currado I spool will occasionally slip and let line out when I'm twitching a jerkbait.  Almost to the point where it free spools for a short period of time.  My drag is set and I have mono backing to a flurocarbon main line.  Any ideas what's going on ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pferox

Couple of things come to mind.
Too much grease of the wrong kind of grease on the AR bearing, or it is worn out and needs to be replaced.

A kink deep in the spool has separated and is slipping periodically.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: Pferox on April 13, 2019, 11:15:36 AM
Couple of things come to mind.
Too much grease of the wrong kind of grease on the AR bearing, or it is worn out and needs to be replaced.

A kink deep in the spool has separated and is slipping periodically.
What's the ar bearing ?

Pferox

Anti reverse, it is a one way bearing which keeps your reel spool from going backwards.

Some of the older and heavier reels use a cog or pawl anti-reverse, depending on the configuration you will experience some slight slippage between the pawls, but it happens almost every time and doesn't feel like free spooling.  There are few that I know of around now that are bass sized reels in this flavor.  Most of those now a days are salt reels.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

LgMouthGambler

Sounds like an AR clutch issue to me. Without seeing the reel do it, it's only a guess. Does the handle go backwards?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 13, 2019, 03:03:20 PM
Sounds like an AR clutch issue to me. Without seeing the reel do it, it's only a guess. Does the handle go backwards?

No the handle doesn't go backwards.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: bucketmouth 87 on April 13, 2019, 03:47:07 PM
No the handle doesn't go backwards.

Are you sure the spool is slipping, or is it the line slipping on the spool?

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 13, 2019, 05:28:35 PM
Are you sure the spool is slipping, or is it the line slipping on the spool?

I'm pretty positive the spool is slipping.  It happens when I rip a jerkbait.  It's like the spool disengages real quick and then resets.  It causes a bit of a bird'snest when it does it

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: bucketmouth 87 on April 13, 2019, 06:23:33 PM
I'm pretty positive the spool is slipping.  It happens when I rip a jerkbait.  It's like the spool disengages real quick and then resets.  It causes a bit of a bird'snest when it does it

Any noise when this happens?

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 13, 2019, 07:46:22 PM
Any noise when this happens?

Nothing, and I don't feel anything grinding either. 

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: bucketmouth 87 on April 13, 2019, 07:47:48 PM
Nothing, and I don't feel anything grinding either. 

Drag tightened down? Maybe its slipping drag? Has someone been inside this reel before this started happening? Maybe parts missing/out of place?

BarryFL

Sound like ghost drag to me. I had an SV spool that did it until I put a piece of tape on the spool first for the mono backing to bite on.

~Barry~

~Barry~

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 14, 2019, 12:01:15 AM
Drag tightened down? Maybe its slipping drag? Has someone been inside this reel before this started happening? Maybe parts missing/out of place?

The drag is tightened and no one has been in the reel. 

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: TR21FL on April 14, 2019, 10:48:28 AM
Sound like ghost drag to me. I had an SV spool that did it until I put a piece of tape on the spool first for the mono backing to bite on.

~Barry~
This reel has mono backing on it already.    It's mono to flurocarbon

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: bucketmouth 87 on April 14, 2019, 08:40:35 PM
This reel has mono backing on it already.    It's mono to flurocarbon

What is meant by this, is if the line is not cinched down good on the spool to start, it could still slip. Try undoing all the line, and tie the backing through one of the holes in the spool. Once you know you are 100% anchored to the spool, you can try again. If it still slips, there is an internal failure for sure.

bucketmouth 87

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 14, 2019, 09:21:50 PM
What is meant by this, is if the line is not cinched down good on the spool to start, it could still slip. Try undoing all the line, and tie the backing through one of the holes in the spool. Once you know you are 100% anchored to the spool, you can try again. If it still slips, there is an internal failure for sure.

Gotcha...I'll give it a try.  Thanks for all of the input!