Nolan Lake Ft. Hood Texas 19 April 19

Started by Donald Garner, April 20, 2019, 10:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings to everyone,

I made an early evening trip over to Nolan Lake on Ft. Hood yesterday after work.  I noticed some road construction going on while driving down to the water.  They had the East road all graded out and double widen.  The area being worked on was closed off.  I'm going to keep my eye on this and fingers crossed that they put in an all weather access road.   :-* Maybe just maybe they'll construct a single lane boat ramp too  :help:

The lake looks to be in pretty good shape.  It's at Summer Pool (At least what I call it anyway) I got the trailer backed down and pushed the G3 off its trailer.

Weather conditions at launch:  Blue Bird Skies; 71 dgrs; Wind out of the West 2 - 15mph gusting on occasion

Lake condition; Water temps varied 68 / 69dgrs depending on your location; Water is dingy due to the storm we had on Wednesday night.

Due to the water & weather condition I spent the first couple hours casting a 1/4oz double Colorado bladed Firetiger spinnerbait.  The shoreline weeds, grass is just starting to come up to the surface.  I made long cast long the grass line.  In the areas that has pockets cut into the bank with overhanging bushes I made casts to the back end of these areas.  With the wind coming out of the West I fished with the wind along the North bank line.  I worked the area from the launch area down to the dam.  I also worked the rip rap along the dam beings the wind was blowing against.

I reworked this same area heading back into the wind.  This time I switched baits and use a 10"inch Texas Rigged  Watermelon Seed Ribbon Tailed worm.  In the areas that had over hanging bushes and matted weeds I flipped and pitched a Zoom Gator Tail Red Shad Texas Rigged Worm.

Having worked this area twice now with 3 different baits without a strike I headed over to the submerged grass island.  The wind had kicked up pretty good and it was a challenge keeping the boat in position to fish the island.   I really wanted to flip and pitch this area but the wind didn't allow me that opportunity.  I made one pass and wound up catching my only bass (Short One) of the trip on 1/4oz double Colorado bladed Firetiger spinnerbait.   

I was making long casts into the wind and waking the spinnerbait through the grass.  Where there were openings in the grass I made double casts and on the second cast I'll kill the bait over the openings.

After fishing the island I fished the North bank up towards the West end of the lake.  I rotated baits while fishing this area between the spinnerbait, 10"in worm and that gator tailed worm.  Half way up the main creek channel I switched baits.  I took a lizard I had rigged up off and put on a Sweetbeaver style bait.  The wind had died down and I was able to flip and pitch the bank line.

At the location where the creek channel turns South I had flipped into a pocket and hooked into a catfish.  I didn't get a good hook set and it came off half way to the boat.

At the far West end of the lake there's a shallow flat that is about 30 yards wide 100 yards long.  It gets covered with matted vegetation.  I was watching some feeding action going on out across it.  At the edge of the matted vegetation it drops off into the main creek channel.  I didn't get the chance to fish this area this trip.  I was getting time to head home.  During the Summer months this is a good area to Punch baits and to fish frogs  ;)

I fished my way back towards the truck and called it a day.   For 3hrs of work and landing a short bass it was still good getting out on the lake.   Even if the weather wasn't right.

Equipment and tackle used

Spinnerbait setupRod > BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) casting rod; Reel > Abu Garcia Black Max 6.4:1 Low profile casting reel; Line > Berkley Big Game Clear Mono 20lb; Lure > Modified Academy Wahoo 1/4 oz Firetiger Spinnerbait

Boat

G3 1548 Alwed Jon Boat; Motor Guide trolling motors, Humminbird PiranhaMAX 4 Electronics

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

Appreciate the report Donald, I'm confident you will find some bass willing to play on your next outing.   ~beer~

SteveTX

Great write up DG.  ~c~ Sorry you could only get the one to cooperate. Maybe you can get into a mess of them next time.

I've seen those Wahoo baits and wondered what the quality was like. I really don't need any spinnerbaits as I have probably 100 but like all of us sometimes we buy some stuff we just want to play with.  ::)

Donald Garner

Quote from: SteveTX on May 27, 2019, 11:51:13 PM
I've seen those Wahoo baits and wondered what the quality was like. I really don't need any spinnerbaits as I have probably 100 but like all of us sometimes we buy some stuff we just want to play with.  ::)

Steve I buy a lot of these spinnerbaits from Academy.  IMO they fish just as well as my Strike King spinnerbaits.  The cost of them is pretty reasonable which is one of the things I like.  If I lose one I'm not out but maybe a couple bucks. 

I don't remember how many I have but its pretty close to your count  ;)
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

SteveTX

Quote from: Donald Garner on May 29, 2019, 06:22:09 PM
Steve I buy a lot of these spinnerbaits from Academy.  IMO they fish just as well as my Strike King spinnerbaits.  The cost of them is pretty reasonable which is one of the things I like.  If I lose one I'm not out but maybe a couple bucks. 

I don't remember how many I have but its pretty close to your count  ;)
Ill keep that in mind when I need a few or just want a few.  lo

Mike Cork

Man that rig looks like a lot of fun to fish out of. I one very close to it as a kid following my dad around his A.F. assignments. Base lakes were a blast.

Sorry to hear you didn't find them, probably in a post spawn funk...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 30, 2019, 10:02:54 AM
Man that rig looks like a lot of fun to fish out of. I one very close to it as a kid following my dad around his A.F. assignments. Base lakes were a blast.

Sorry to hear you didn't find them, probably in a post spawn funk...

Nolan Lake will make you humble real quick.  Carl and I've gone out there and had a whack fest and the next day be lucky to get a strike.

Mike I really enjoy fishing out of my G3 a lot.  I don't have to worry about scratches etc. That boat was bought just to fish that lake.  The day I bought it came fully rigged out.  The only thing I've added to it is the storage box.  I had it custom made at a local welding shop. 

When I got it home Gail asked where the outboard engine was.  I told her I didn't buy one with it.  She sent me back to pick one up.  I bought the last 2 stroke 25hp Yamaha they had for that year.   The rig is a 2006 model boat and motor.  That 25hp Yamaha doesn't have 10 hours on it  ~shade   Right now its sitting on its stand in the garage covered.

You ever get the chance to get over this way we spend the day fishing Nolan Lake.

Mike Cork

I'd like that, I'd like to spend about a week fishing the waters you have that way.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 31, 2019, 10:35:46 AM
I'd like that, I'd like to spend about a week fishing the waters you have that way.

The door is always open for a visit for you and Laurie  ;) 

I too would love to spend a week over at your place fishing.  I've have to take the following week off just to rest up  ~shade