Shimano Scorpion MGL

Started by LgMouthGambler, April 25, 2019, 08:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Now available for sale. Some retailers are at $217 shipped from Japan.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

YoTone

intriguing, what makes it worth buying for that price?
Native Slayer 10

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: YoTone on April 26, 2019, 07:42:53 AM
intriguing, what makes it worth buying for that price?

JDM reel for one.  lo  Better quality spool bearings, MGL spool, better paint job/coloring. Just a few things you get with a JDM reel vs a USDM reel. I definitely think its a better deal than paying $200 for the Curado K.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

WTodd

You can get Ks for $150 on EBay; I just bought one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on April 26, 2019, 02:54:27 PM
You can get Ks for $150 on EBay; I just bought one

Even a $67 price difference, id take the Scorpion MGL. But thats just me.  lo

WTodd

I considered "moving up" but since it wasn't broke I decided not to fix it and stay with the Curado.

Not sure bass like pink reels anyway

Oh and this will be my first left handed reel

The only thing about the K I'm not thrilled with is the 4 brakes; I prefer the older 6 brake system

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on April 26, 2019, 03:48:24 PM
I considered "moving up" but since it wasn't broke I decided not to fix it and stay with the Curado.

Not sure bass like pink reels anyway

Oh and this will be my first left handed reel

Lol. The reel is actually red, but yeah, it kinda looks pink in the picture. Honestly, would you really notice that much of a difference? Probably not, but Im an enthusiast with reels, and looks can make or break my decision with a reel. For instance, the SLX I have Im OK with the looks since the price was right, and I tuned it to my liking. Under $100 total including the reel, and will outperform a Curado K in stock form.

WTodd

I seriously considered the Chronarch MGL but since this was my first left handed I stayed with the K.....price and familiarity with the reel made the decision pretty easy.  IF I end up preferring left handed models then I'll move up in quality as I need to replace my current ones. I'm going to use this one for flipping, frogs and A rigs.

If I'm catching fish I don't care what color anything is

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on April 26, 2019, 04:09:14 PM
I seriously considered the Chronarch MGL but since this was my first left handed I stayed with the K.....price and familiarity with the reel made the decision pretty easy.  IF I end up preferring left handed models then I'll move up in quality as I need to replace my current ones. I'm going to use this one for flipping, frogs and A rigs.

If I'm catching fish I don't care what color anything is

You are better off with a aluminum framed reel, rather than a composite reel anyways. Not all the time does cost mean better. You have to look into the details.

WTodd

I looked at the G model too

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on April 26, 2019, 04:20:52 PM
I looked at the G model too

Still composite. And, Metanium has aluminum gears, that will get noisy with hard use. Really, if you are gonna go for a higher end Shimano, the Bantam MGL might be the best option as far as build. Otherwise, no matter how you look at it, its hard to beat the Curado/Citica for the money and overall build/performance.

WTodd

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 26, 2019, 04:27:31 PM
Bantam MGL
I will definitely keep that in mind and there's always the DC model too but I haven't heard any real feedback on that one yet

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on April 26, 2019, 04:31:24 PM
I will definitely keep that in mind and there's always the DC model too but I haven't heard any real feedback on that one yet

Meh. I've been through DC reels. Again, the cost ain't worth it, to me any ways. Unless you are a newbie that has a hard time with casting, I dont see the advantage. Now, if we were talking a real DC Shimano (true JDM DC) like the ole Antares DC, then maybe.

WTodd

Kinda my thoughts on WHY the DC was built. I really prefer the older 6 brake system vs the new 4 brake

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on April 26, 2019, 04:37:01 PM
Kinda my thoughts on WHY the DC was built. I really prefer the older 6 brake system vs the new 4 brake

Me too. Also another reason I like the SLX. It's a modernized version of the VBS.

WTodd

Interesting

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on April 26, 2019, 04:40:10 PM
Interesting

Try one. You'll be amazed. It's small like the ole 50E reels. To me, it's like if they brought back the 50 reel, the SLX would be it. Coming from someone who uses high end Daiwa and Shimano reels, that thing is one of my most favorite to use.

WTodd

I'm a Shimano only guy; they just sit in my hand right.  If I go all left handed I'll re-engage this conversation with you

fishballer06

I ordered mine and it shipped out early last week. Can't wait to get it. This platform with an MGL spool should cast like a champ.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: fishballer06 on April 29, 2019, 08:01:33 AM
I ordered mine and it shipped out early last week. Can't wait to get it. This platform with an MGL spool should cast like a champ.

Cant wait to hear of what you think. This may be a model that pushes me to buy a K series. Of course, it wont be for quite some time.

Lee Smith

I thank y'all just need to send them over here for a test drive!  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Lee Smith on April 29, 2019, 09:27:06 AM
I thank y'all just need to send them over here for a test drive!  ;D

Definitely not a reel for you.  lo

Lee Smith

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 29, 2019, 09:32:51 AM
Definitely not a reel for you.  lo

Wut you tryin' to say?  I'm easy on my equipment!  ;D  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

fishballer06

I got mine in yesterday. Man is this thing sweet. Feels just like my Metanium and Chronarch MGL's when I turn the handle. The red is a nice dark red with a shiny dark titanium accents with some red metal flakes in it. The tension control knob even has a scorpion etched into it. I can't wait to get it out on the water. I'm sure I'll be ordering more of these.

3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

LgMouthGambler

That things pretty sweet looking. Any way to tell me if that has a one or two piece thumb bar?