Shimano Scorpion MGL

Started by LgMouthGambler, April 25, 2019, 08:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishballer06

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 30, 2019, 08:53:17 AM
That things pretty sweet looking. Any way to tell me if that has a one or two piece thumb bar?

I can see a screw on the clutch bar if I look down inside the opening for the spool. But I'm no expert on the mechanics of reels, hence why I pay someone else to maintain mine.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

LgMouthGambler

Any chance you can verify what the levelwind shaft is made of? Is it plastic? Does it look black? How about the pawl? What material is it?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SpankysRods

How do you guys think this reel would perform for finesse applications? Weightless trick worms and flukes? Things like that

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SpankysRods on May 13, 2019, 10:09:07 AM
How do you guys think this reel would perform for finesse applications? Weightless trick worms and flukes? Things like that

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The spool is said to be almost 2 grams lighter. That's a good difference, but is the spool designed to go lighter than say 1/4oz or 7 grams? That's yet to be proven, and until it is, we cant say. A lot can also depend on the person using the combo, and the right line and rod to do it with? I would guess it could be done.

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Cant pass up a good deal. Got one on the way.. lo

fishballer06

I've got some time on the water with mine now and after this past weekend, I'm pretty impressed. Throwing 110 Jr's into a 15-20 MPH wind on Erie all day and she performed flawlessly. I even made a comment to ZippyDuck about how impressed I was with how the reel handled.

This reel is extremely smooth to retrieve with, but it does feel slightly different than my Chronarch's and Metanium's.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: fishballer06 on June 06, 2019, 07:39:45 AM
I've got some time on the water with mine now and after this past weekend, I'm pretty impressed. Throwing 110 Jr's into a 15-20 MPH wind on Erie all day and she performed flawlessly. I even made a comment to ZippyDuck about how impressed I was with how the reel handled.

This reel is extremely smooth to retrieve with, but it does feel slightly different than my Chronarch's and Metanium's.

Since the Chronarch is a plastics reel, and the Metanium is magnesium with aluminum gears, I would hope the Scorpion feels different.  lo 

I love my 14Scorpion reel, so I figured why not. If I dont like it, I could easily get my money back.

LgMouthGambler

Got it in the mail today. Hopefully it holds enough 50lb braid for frogging.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 07, 2019, 03:37:19 PM
Got it in the mail today. Hopefully it holds enough 50lb braid for frogging.

Take care of my reel!! I can show how to frog with it tomorrow...  lo 8)

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 07, 2019, 04:36:00 PM
Take care of my reel!! I can show how to frog with it tomorrow...  lo 8)
Lol

LgMouthGambler

This thing is a damn rocket!

LgMouthGambler

The reel got tested out last night while fishing with Lou in the Glades. Let's say it got tested out BY Lou in the Glades. The frog mans reel was down, but, his frogging went on when he did a slight reel change.

Capt. BassinLou

Thanks for letting play with your Scorpion brother!! Let me just say a MGL Scorpion on a LSCR is an awesome duo!!  ~beer~

LMG... take good care of my reel...  ;) ~roflmao

Sandman7925

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 26, 2019, 04:27:31 PM
Still composite. And, Metanium has aluminum gears, that will get noisy with hard use. Really, if you are gonna go for a higher end Shimano, the Bantam MGL might be the best option as far as build. Otherwise, no matter how you look at it, its hard to beat the Curado/Citica for the money and overall build/performance.

No love for the Chronarch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Sandman7925 on June 09, 2019, 06:51:19 PM

Not when it's a composite reel. That's just me though.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Sandman7925 on June 09, 2019, 06:51:19 PM

Y'all ever see what a 12 pound pike can do to a composite reel?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

And just like that, a more wanting person desires the reel...

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 10, 2019, 07:56:27 PM
And just like that, a more wanting person desires the reel...

~shhh ~shhh....  lo

I can't wait for Saturday!!!!!!!  ~bb ~bb ~bb

LgMouthGambler

lo  Beat the hell outta that thing!  I guess Ill have to wait till the next one arrives  ~beer~

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 11, 2019, 07:43:03 AM
lo  Beat the hell outta that thing!  I guess Ill have to wait till the next one arrives  ~beer~
Oh it's going to be used ALOT trust me...

Capt. BassinLou

Thanks again for the trade brother!! She's a beauty!!

Lee Smith

Would y'all go get a room PLEASE!  ~roflmao  ~roflmao  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 13, 2019, 10:48:20 AM
Would y'all go get a room PLEASE!  ~roflmao  ~roflmao  ~roflmao

You talkin bout him and his rod?  ~roflmao