Where did all these cheap reels come from?

Started by The Rooster, April 28, 2019, 08:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rooster

Have there always been lots of different brands of cheap reels that I've never heard of or is this something new? Amazon shows me names like Kast King, Piscifun, Cadence, and others. Cadence looks mysteriously like a Pflueger in shape and has similar features like a handle that threads into the drivegear. I'm just wondering if they are made by the same people who make the more known brands or if they're cheap copies or imitators.

BarryFL

Chinese knock-offs just like they do with golf clubs. Look the same but lesser materials and tolerances. Probably OK for someone that fishes a couple times a year.

~Barry~

~Barry~

The Rooster

So are the rods just as cheap? I had the same thoughts about the reel mechanics, but rods seem less complicated, and some of them look kind of nice.

BarryFL

Cheap components that will rust, etc... again, probably ok if you only fish a couple of times per year.

~Barry~

~Barry~

gtrpickr

I have a couple of the piscifun reels I bought last year to try out and they seem well made and work just fine. I can't say how long they will hold up yet since I havent had them that long but I like them better than the Abu black max my son has.

merc1997

Quote from: TR21FL on April 28, 2019, 10:07:50 AM
Chinese knock-offs just like they do with golf clubs. Look the same but lesser materials and tolerances. Probably OK for someone that fishes a couple times a year.

~Barry~
well, if you know much about the fishing industry, many of the products you buy might have a "brand" name on the box, but the product was made in china or some other off shore country.  many brand name reels and rods are of this variety.  many reels of brand name or off brand names have parts that all interchange.  what transpires is a brand name company has the same china company that makes the off brand reels make their reel.  there are some differences in cosmetics, but not much on internal parts.

just to see what these off brand reels where all about, i purchased some kast king royale legends.  took the first one completely apart and all the internal parts looked like any other reel, and the gears were all brass as well as the drive stem.  to date, i have several of them with over two years of very hard use.  the only thing that i have done is to oil the level wind and spool bearings on a regular basis.  i have not cleaned and regreased the drive gears.  these reels are still smooth as silk.  the drags still smooth as silk.  they still throw a mile.  i use braid on them, and that has not had any affect on the reels in any fashion.  i have $24.50 in each of the 8 kast king royales that i own, and i do not not foresee that they will give me any trouble in another two years of hard use.  so, bottom line, nothing about any of these reels has rusted feel apart of failed in any way shape or form.  since i do know quite a bit about the fishing gear industry, i suspect many of these off brand china reels will work quite fine because they are the same reel as your brand name reel.

just my humble opinion.  the best thing for anyone to do as far as reels and rods is to use what works for you.  i grew up throwing knuckle busters and can throw about any reel without issues.  i have a very educated thumb.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

ike8120

Quote from: merc1997 on April 28, 2019, 09:59:33 PM
well, if you know much about the fishing industry, many of the products you buy might have a "brand" name on the box, but the product was made in china or some other off shore country.  many brand name reels and rods are of this variety.  many reels of brand name or off brand names have parts that all interchange.  what transpires is a brand name company has the same china company that makes the off brand reels make their reel.  there are some differences in cosmetics, but not much on internal parts.

just to see what these off brand reels where all about, i purchased some kast king royale legends.  took the first one completely apart and all the internal parts looked like any other reel, and the gears were all brass as well as the drive stem.  to date, i have several of them with over two years of very hard use.  the only thing that i have done is to oil the level wind and spool bearings on a regular basis.  i have not cleaned and regreased the drive gears.  these reels are still smooth as silk.  the drags still smooth as silk.  they still throw a mile.  i use braid on them, and that has not had any affect on the reels in any fashion.  i have $24.50 in each of the 8 kast king royales that i own, and i do not not foresee that they will give me any trouble in another two years of hard use.  so, bottom line, nothing about any of these reels has rusted feel apart of failed in any way shape or form.  since i do know quite a bit about the fishing gear industry, i suspect many of these off brand china reels will work quite fine because they are the same reel as your brand name reel.

just my humble opinion.  the best thing for anyone to do as far as reels and rods is to use what works for you.  i grew up throwing knuckle busters and can throw about any reel without issues.  i have a very educated thumb.

bo
Thank you for an informative post. I have he Sharky lll in a 1000 and 2000 also a Assassin very nice reels for the price.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

BarryFL

bo
Another issue with the Chinese rods and reels, assuming what you say is true, is the stolen intellectual property side of the equation. It's a serious issue in all industries and well documented. The Chinese dont invent anything, they just reverse engineer.  If you're ok with that, fish on.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Oldfart9999

I use all BPS which means Korean, I'm happy with the PQ reels and PQ2.0 and Carbonlite rods. I think you'll find most of even the top line reels and rods are made offshore. Shimano and Daiwa along with Lews and Pflueger and ABU are made offshore.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

T-Rig

i own the kastking royale legend elite rage red 8:1:1 34" IPT  wt. 7.2 oz. ... love it ... own the kastking perigee II 3 pc. 7' rod ... comes with a medium and medium heavy pieces so you really have 2 rods ... love it ... looking to buy the jig/worm rod in the near future from kastking ...

good fishing ...

T-Rig

bo

DITTO

Jared LeBlue

I got news for all of you, there is not a single reel manufacturer in the US. Well, Penn was here but I don't know if they still are. All your reels come from over seas. They have manufacturers in Japan, China, and Malaysia. Korea may have some but I'm not real sure on that. Like anything some products are cheaply made and you stuck by them but just because a product is cheaper doesn't mean it's not good. You can look at what the frame is made of to help guide you but for the most part the internals come from the same manufacturers. There is only a few place in the world that make reel bearings and all reel companies get their bearing from one of these places. I have always told people buy what you want and what gives you confidence on the water. If it takes a $400 reel to make you feel like that is what you need to catch them then by all means go with the $400 reel. I won't down any reel out there without first trying it. Do they have junk out there? Absolutely. But again don't let the price dictate your opinion on a reel, there are some good ones out there at really good prices.
Ardent Prostaff

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: gtrpickr on April 28, 2019, 08:24:20 PM
I have a couple of the piscifun reels I bought last year to try out and they seem well made and work just fine. I can't say how long they will hold up yet since I havent had them that long but I like them better than the Abu black max my son has.
I'd fish with a with a string on a boat paddle before using another low-pro black max.
But the older round Black Max? Love it!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

The Rooster

My only requirements for baitcast reels are having an aluminum frame, bearings (or the ability to add bearings) on the spool shaft, crank shaft, and handle knobs, and as of recently I've started looking for brass gears after reading that aluminum gears can go to feeling rough after a while. It must be smooth and durable, and stay that way.

As for spinning reels I'm far less picky, but I want a good one for not a lot of money. The Pfleuger Trion is that reel for me, and the President is a nice upgrade if I desired. I've looked at a lot of models and have found none that offer the same value for the cost as these two do, and still possess the looks and comfort that I want. 

Oldfart9999

I think the Japanese go to the head of the class, they also make the best bearings, not cheap though. It's a real shame not here, I think we can match quality with anybody and still have decent prices.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: The Rooster on May 08, 2019, 06:00:54 AM
My only requirements for baitcast reels are having an aluminum frame, bearings (or the ability to add bearings) on the spool shaft, crank shaft, and handle knobs, and as of recently I've started looking for brass gears after reading that aluminum gears can go to feeling rough after a while. It must be smooth and durable, and stay that way.

As for spinning reels I'm far less picky, but I want a good one for not a lot of money. The Pfleuger Trion is that reel for me, and the President is a nice upgrade if I desired. I've looked at a lot of models and have found none that offer the same value for the cost as these two do, and still possess the looks and comfort that I want.
You should also check out the Pflueger Templar. Has a couple bushings in places where the President and Trion have bearings.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk