Reels: price points, what you get/expect

Started by LgMouthGambler, April 29, 2019, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Let's talk about reels and their price points. The market now a days is flooded with reels from all different brands. What we are going to do is break the reels down. What I mean by that is, we are going to dissect them, and point out what you are getting for your money.

Back in the day, you really had a few main brands that you would want. Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum, Pfleuger, and Abu Garcia were the norm. Then, the market got flooded with a bunch of companies breaking into the market utilizing OEM companies outsourced from Korea and China. Abu Garcia for a long time has been outsourcing their low profile reels from Korea, and many companies now are doing the same. Companies like Lews, Bass Pro Shops, Ardent, Duckett, Okuma, Fitzgerald, Enigma, and 13 Fishing to name some of the more popular. So what is it that separates all the models in the particular brands line up? Let's break down a few companies.

Shimano for instance, their now $100 price point reel, the SLX. It's used to be a graphite framed reel called the Casitas for the $100 mark, which was disappointing from a company like Shimano. The introduction of the SLX gave us a $100 MSRP reel with an aluminum frame, spool, and handle. Graphite side plates, brass gears, and 6 pin centrifugal brakes. A reel that is easily transformable into a reel that performs above the Curado with the addition of some frame bearings, and better spool bearings. Add some aesthetic parts like a carbon fiber handle, different knobs, and all bushings to bearings, and we are now pushing that reel to the $250 reel range. The same could be said for the Curado to skyrocket way above its price point. The Citica is the $150 range reel, and Curado the $200 range reel. They are both basically the same reel internal wise, and have been for a long time, minus a bearing or two, and minor details/coloration. Pick which one looks best to you and fish it. These examples all using a different version of Shimanos centrifugal braking system, be it VBS or SVS.

Daiwa now has the Fuego for its $100 mark. It used to be the name for a magnesium framed Team Daiwa reel in the $230 price mark. Then it became the step down model when Daiwa first introduced us to the Tatula. Back then it was a $130 reel to compete with the Citica in that pricepoint. Now it's the $100 reel, as the regular Tatula is the Citicas competition in the $150 range, and the Tatula Type R is the Curados matchup in the $200 range. All 3 reels are almost identical internal wise as well, with the exception of the T Wing line guide system of the Tatula line. Daiwa also brought SV spool technology to its workhorse line with the Tatula SV TW. All these reels using a similar magnetic braking system called Magforce.

OEM built reels like the Lews, Abu, Quantum, etc all share similar outlines in reel building. Their reels from the $100 to $200 price points are practically identical. You may get different braking systems such as magnetic, centrifugal, or a combination of both. Maybe some little features like clicking parts, colored parts, additions of a carbon fiber handle, or some different knobs which separate the many different models.

Shimano, Daiwa, and OEMs all have their high end offerings, and that's when you start getting into what really ends up costing you money, weight savings. Whether it be different frame and sideplate materials, drive gear materials, drag materials, or handle materials to name a few, the goal is to be lighter. Every fraction of an ounce you save, comes with a cost. When you get into Shimano and Daiwa, you can also put a big emphasis on the spool that drives it up there as well. This is where you start spending $250+.

Now, as the average fisherman, do you really need to spend $250 on a reel? No. Would you like to have a $250+ reel? To some, yes. Coming from a guy who has fished reels all over the spectrum, you dont need to spend a ton of money these days to get a great reel. When I talked about the reel market being flooded, it did bring us one good thing...competition. It pushed the companies to build reels to appeal to the average "joe". You can get a rod and reel for a total of $200 that can do everything you need it to. The technology has gotten better in both the rod and reel departments. Bang for the buck is in the advantage to the angler. So next time you are out there looking at reels, take a closer look at all the options available from the different companies. Compare the different models from each company, and you will see just how similar some of the models are to each other. Read the specs of the reels closely, and choose what fits your style the best. Remember I'm always available for any questions, as well as the many true anglers on this site.

Tight lines
LMG
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

Thanks for a great break down of information.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

Great stuff Matt.

Since I'm not too familiar with Daiwa can I ask what an SV spool is? What does the SV stand for and how is it  different from a "normal " spool?

Thanks bud.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 29, 2019, 12:12:54 PM
Great stuff Matt.

Since I'm not too familiar with Daiwa can I ask what an SV spool is? What does the SV stand for and how is it  different from a "normal " spool?

Thanks bud.

SV stands for Stress free Versatility. Its is different from the normal Magforce Z, as the inductor rotor not only extends out from the spool into the magnetic field, but its able to twist as well while extending.

Here is a great video to watch on Daiwas braking system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRFAXeosnY

And a good one for SV explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZ0ghlhMrk
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lee Smith

Very good info youngin', even I'll give you a A+ !  lo  ~beer~
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

gtrpickr

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 29, 2019, 12:35:08 PM

SV stands for Stress free Versatility. Its is different from the normal Magforce Z, as the inductor rotor not only extends out from the spool into the magnetic field, but its able to twist as well while extending.

Here is a great video to watch on Daiwas braking system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRFAXeosnY

And a good one for SV explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZ0ghlhMrk
Wow. Thanks. I just learned a whole lot.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FISH520

The SV spools are game changing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BarryFL

Quote from: FISH520 on April 29, 2019, 04:17:21 PM
The SV spools are game changing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes, they are. Especially, when it comes to throwing light lures without a backlash.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 29, 2019, 01:45:05 PM
Wow. Thanks. I just learned a whole lot.

Smallie, I am completely committed to the SV Spool.  The performance has been fantastic and actually cured my problems with backlashes.  I can't imagine buying another reel unless it had a SV spool.  No more backlashes even in the wind on light lures.  and the spool adjustments makes it easy to re set when you change to heavier or bigger lures.  Just a true pleasure to own this technology.

zippyduck

The sv spool saved many backlashes this weekend with winds in the high teens all weekend. My Zillion svtw was throwing a light jerkbait into those winds flawlessly.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

ike8120

Thank you for taking the time for the comparisons. All my reels are  75 bucks or less and all different brands. I have a few reels that if I mentioned brand I would probably be bashed about it. Those reels serve the purpose that I need.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Oldfart9999

Thanks for the info Matt, good read. ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishballer06

I can't comment for some of these newer offspring companies that have popped up lately, but I know this whenever it comes to Shimano and Diawa.

~$100 price point - a good reel
~$150+ price point - a great reel
~$250+ price point - an amazing reel

In all reality, there's no reel out there that's really going to do anything that a Curado or Tatula can't do. But if you have the money and enjoy nice things, a Metanium or Steez sure are amazing in the hands aren't they?
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

The Rooster

Daiwa now has another $100 reel, the CA80. 10 bearings, aluminum frame, magnetic brake but not Magforce Z, this looks to be made by Doyo. As a fan of the Doyo design and what I see as high value reels in that price range, I'm interested!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: The Rooster on May 04, 2019, 10:13:17 AM
Daiwa now has another $100 reel, the CA80. 10 bearings, aluminum frame, magnetic brake but not Magforce Z, this looks to be made by Doyo. As a fan of the Doyo design and what I see as high value reels in that price range, I'm interested!
Yes, it's a Doyo, not a Daiwa. Lol

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

The Rooster

So then.....do we have a good reel made by good reel makers, but wearing a different reel maker's good name? I like how this reel looks. I'd like to see one up close. If it felt good in hand I'd be interested to get a couple.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: The Rooster on May 04, 2019, 07:02:27 PM
So then.....do we have a good reel made by good reel makers, but wearing a different reel maker's good name? I like how this reel looks. I'd like to see one up close. If it felt good in hand I'd be interested to get a couple.
Mediocre reel made with a good reel companies name on it. It's a Lews Speed Spool basically.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

caddyjoe77

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 29, 2019, 10:45:07 AM
Let's talk about reels and their price points. The market now a days is flooded with reels from all different brands. What we are going to do is break the reels down. What I mean by that is, we are going to dissect them, and point out what you are getting for your money.

Back in the day, you really had a few main brands that you would want. Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum, Pfleuger, and Abu Garcia were the norm. Then, the market got flooded with a bunch of companies breaking into the market utilizing OEM companies outsourced from Korea and China. Abu Garcia for a long time has been outsourcing their low profile reels from Korea, and many companies now are doing the same. Companies like Lews, Bass Pro Shops, Ardent, Duckett, Okuma, Fitzgerald, Enigma, and 13 Fishing to name some of the more popular. So what is it that separates all the models in the particular brands line up? Let's break down a few companies.

Shimano for instance, their now $100 price point reel, the SLX. It's used to be a graphite framed reel called the Casitas for the $100 mark, which was disappointing from a company like Shimano. The introduction of the SLX gave us a $100 MSRP reel with an aluminum frame, spool, and handle. Graphite side plates, brass gears, and 6 pin centrifugal brakes. A reel that is easily transformable into a reel that performs above the Curado with the addition of some frame bearings, and better spool bearings. Add some aesthetic parts like a carbon fiber handle, different knobs, and all bushings to bearings, and we are now pushing that reel to the $250 reel range. The same could be said for the Curado to skyrocket way above its price point. The Citica is the $150 range reel, and Curado the $200 range reel. They are both basically the same reel internal wise, and have been for a long time, minus a bearing or two, and minor details/coloration. Pick which one looks best to you and fish it. These examples all using a different version of Shimanos centrifugal braking system, be it VBS or SVS.

Daiwa now has the Fuego for its $100 mark. It used to be the name for a magnesium framed Team Daiwa reel in the $230 price mark. Then it became the step down model when Daiwa first introduced us to the Tatula. Back then it was a $130 reel to compete with the Citica in that pricepoint. Now it's the $100 reel, as the regular Tatula is the Citicas competition in the $150 range, and the Tatula Type R is the Curados matchup in the $200 range. All 3 reels are almost identical internal wise as well, with the exception of the T Wing line guide system of the Tatula line. Daiwa also brought SV spool technology to its workhorse line with the Tatula SV TW. All these reels using a similar magnetic braking system called Magforce.

OEM built reels like the Lews, Abu, Quantum, etc all share similar outlines in reel building. Their reels from the $100 to $200 price points are practically identical. You may get different braking systems such as magnetic, centrifugal, or a combination of both. Maybe some little features like clicking parts, colored parts, additions of a carbon fiber handle, or some different knobs which separate the many different models.

Shimano, Daiwa, and OEMs all have their high end offerings, and that's when you start getting into what really ends up costing you money, weight savings. Whether it be different frame and sideplate materials, drive gear materials, drag materials, or handle materials to name a few, the goal is to be lighter. Every fraction of an ounce you save, comes with a cost. When you get into Shimano and Daiwa, you can also put a big emphasis on the spool that drives it up there as well. This is where you start spending $250+.

Now, as the average fisherman, do you really need to spend $250 on a reel? No. Would you like to have a $250+ reel? To some, yes. Coming from a guy who has fished reels all over the spectrum, you dont need to spend a ton of money these days to get a great reel. When I talked about the reel market being flooded, it did bring us one good thing...competition. It pushed the companies to build reels to appeal to the average "joe". You can get a rod and reel for a total of $200 that can do everything you need it to. The technology has gotten better in both the rod and reel departments. Bang for the buck is in the advantage to the angler. So next time you are out there looking at reels, take a closer look at all the options available from the different companies. Compare the different models from each company, and you will see just how similar some of the models are to each other. Read the specs of the reels closely, and choose what fits your style the best. Remember I'm always available for any questions, as well as the many true anglers on this site.

Tight lines
LMG

who wrote that for you!?  lo
BeerMe