Spring Jig Fishin'

Started by JSchwarz18, April 29, 2019, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSchwarz18

Hey guys! just looking to start a thread to see what everyones favorite rod/reel/line combos are for all types of spring jig fishin. Maybe some of us can get something out of hearing different approaches some took to it and find someting new!

Smallie_Stalker

For me it depends on a lot of different factors like the cover/structure, whether I'm fishing a swim jig, Chatter Bait or Flipping/Pitching. It's all different and I don't have a blanket answer. Sorry.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

For me it has to be a 4 power Dobyns, My favorite is the DC744c, matched with an aluminum frame and side plate high speed reel. I have a Daiwa SV103 on it right now and love the combo.

Up here in Pa. I use a brown jig most of the time or a black/blue in dirty water.

Other than a mop jig I also use a Charlie Brewer1/4 and 3/8 oz. 3/0 offset slider jig with a Yamamoto hula grub in green pumpkin and black/blue.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

I'll try. I dont fish a "swim jig" exactly and I have only recently been trying to see what was so great about a Chatter Bait over my spinnerbaits. But if you want to talk nasty, weedy, slimy, stalks, timber, grass, generally heavy cover Pitching jigs I have experience with this.  :) 

I don't have the "newest" equipment by any means, it could be duplicated, but I am positive there is some similar or better out there. So lets just say I am getting my jig rods ready to fish my spring spawn. I have 3 rods I pretty much use for my jigs two are the same Dobyns SS 735C and I have one Dobyns DX 784C.

The DX 784C I have currently paired up with a 7.3:1 Okuma Komodo KDR-273V spooled with Sufix 832 40 or 50lb braid. The reel is not ultra light but at 6.7 oz its a nice easy to pitch combo. It has been modified with a 90mm Rays Studio handle to give me better cranking leverage. Also it has a decent 14lbs of drag that easily gets the job done in the semi nasty stuff I use this combo for. I use this mainly for my 3/8 oz jigs. I prefer Buckeye Lures Mop Jigs, NuTech NuJig Elite, or the Dirty Jigs Scott Canterbury Flippin' Jig in this 3/8 oz. weight. Generally I don't get this one into the nastiest stuff. I fish more open water, or edge situations with it. Overall its a 4 power rod and I treat it as such.

My other regular jig rods are two of the Dobyns SS 735C. This is the older Savvy series in a 7'3" length 5 power rod. And I really can say they are extremely tough. I put these rods through hell. These rods are what I pull out when I am seriously fishing the slop.
Currently one is paired with a 8.3:1 Lew's SDG1XHF Super Duty the other has a 7.1:1 Lew's TS1SH Tournament MB with 20# and 14# respectively on the drag. I prefer at least the 7:1 range or faster gears for pitching. The quicker you get that head up the better your odds of landing him/her. I have these loaded with 65lb Sufix 832 in Hi-Vis Yellow. These combinations are very multipurpose for me as I use the 1/2 oz jigs on them a lot but also T-Rig plastics I pitch.

As for my heavy cover 1/2 oz jigs I swear by the SK Hack Attack Heavy Cover jig. I have found these to have the absolute stoutest hook with the biggest gap. For me bent hooks are a pet peeve. Having to pull 3 and 4 lb bass out with 4 and 5 lbs of crap on them the dainty hooks let me down. I admit they are a mass produced jig and sometimes they get the paint up on the brush a little heavy. I just bend the bristles around and it breaks loose. Also I have at times felt the brush guard was too stiff for my liking and I cut a few strands as necessary at the base where they go into the lead. I never "trim" the brush up top as it really stiffens the guard.

As for colors I am not a huge color guy. I sort of do the category thing. I just try and have a little of something from each of the four categories. Not exactly like below but it gives a idea of how I break mine down. My waters are generally crap visibility in my closest lake. I fish a lot of jigs and trailers in the Dark category and secondly the Bright category. 
Dark - South African Special, Black n Blue, Junebug, Hematoma, Black Neon etc.
Light - White, Glimmer Blue, Pro Blue Pearl, Albino, Shad etc.
Bright - Sapphire Blue, Chartreuse, Bubble Gum etc.
Natural - Pumpkin seed, Red Shad, Tequila Sunrise, Texas Craw, Watermelon Seed etc.

Dont know if that helped you but maybe it will someone.  8)

Wizard

The Ozark lakes are easy in the spring. Blue/brown when bass can see the jig; Missouri craw when it is hard to see the jig. Many colors can be used but the knowledgeable anglers fish Blue/brown.

Wizard

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Wizard on April 30, 2019, 01:38:15 PM
The Ozark lakes are easy in the spring. Blue/brown when bass can see the jig; Missouri craw when it is hard to see the jig. Many colors can be used but the knowledgeable anglers fish Blue/brown.

Wizard

Can't argue with that Blue/Brown color combo. Seems to work anywhere in the country and in any water clarity.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

1Cast 1Fish

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 30, 2019, 02:24:23 PM
Can't argue with that Blue/Brown color combo. Seems to work anywhere in the country and in any water clarity.

Could not agree more...definitely a staple color combo in any jig box

llomichalchik

Quote from: zippyduck on April 29, 2019, 09:08:47 PM
For me it has to be a 4 power Dobyns, My favorite is the DC744c, matched with an aluminum frame and side plate high speed reel. I have a Daiwa SV103 on it right now and love the combo.

Up here in Pa. I use a brown jig most of the time or a black/blue in dirty water.

Other than a mop jig I also use a Charlie Brewer1/4 and 3/8 oz. 3/0 offset slider jig with a Yamamoto hula grub in green pumpkin and black/blue.

In central PA, when fishing in the dirty rivers, we're using a lot of green pumpkin.
Blaise Michalchik - Lockett Lures Outlet

UB members save 10% code UB.  When sales with a higher discount are active, code won't work, but note/comment when checking out "UB member", and receive some freebies

JSchwarz18

Agreed on the Dobyns rods. Cant get enough of these, very tough indeed.

Quote from: SteveTX on April 29, 2019, 11:08:57 PM
I'll try. I dont fish a "swim jig" exactly and I have only recently been trying to see what was so great about a Chatter Bait over my spinnerbaits. But if you want to talk nasty, weedy, slimy, stalks, timber, grass, generally heavy cover Pitching jigs I have experience with this.  :) 

I don't have the "newest" equipment by any means, it could be duplicated, but I am positive there is some similar or better out there. So lets just say I am getting my jig rods ready to fish my spring spawn. I have 3 rods I pretty much use for my jigs two are the same Dobyns SS 735C and I have one Dobyns DX 784C.

The DX 784C I have currently paired up with a 7.3:1 Okuma Komodo KDR-273V spooled with Sufix 832 40 or 50lb braid. The reel is not ultra light but at 6.7 oz its a nice easy to pitch combo. It has been modified with a 90mm Rays Studio handle to give me better cranking leverage. Also it has a decent 14lbs of drag that easily gets the job done in the semi nasty stuff I use this combo for. I use this mainly for my 3/8 oz jigs. I prefer Buckeye Lures Mop Jigs, NuTech NuJig Elite, or the Dirty Jigs Scott Canterbury Flippin' Jig in this 3/8 oz. weight. Generally I don't get this one into the nastiest stuff. I fish more open water, or edge situations with it. Overall its a 4 power rod and I treat it as such.

My other regular jig rods are two of the Dobyns SS 735C. This is the older Savvy series in a 7'3" length 5 power rod. And I really can say they are extremely tough. I put these rods through hell. These rods are what I pull out when I am seriously fishing the slop.
Currently one is paired with a 8.3:1 Lew's SDG1XHF Super Duty the other has a 7.1:1 Lew's TS1SH Tournament MB with 20# and 14# respectively on the drag. I prefer at least the 7:1 range or faster gears for pitching. The quicker you get that head up the better your odds of landing him/her. I have these loaded with 65lb Sufix 832 in Hi-Vis Yellow. These combinations are very multipurpose for me as I use the 1/2 oz jigs on them a lot but also T-Rig plastics I pitch.

As for my heavy cover 1/2 oz jigs I swear by the SK Hack Attack Heavy Cover jig. I have found these to have the absolute stoutest hook with the biggest gap. For me bent hooks are a pet peeve. Having to pull 3 and 4 lb bass out with 4 and 5 lbs of crap on them the dainty hooks let me down. I admit they are a mass produced jig and sometimes they get the paint up on the brush a little heavy. I just bend the bristles around and it breaks loose. Also I have at times felt the brush guard was too stiff for my liking and I cut a few strands as necessary at the base where they go into the lead. I never "trim" the brush up top as it really stiffens the guard.

As for colors I am not a huge color guy. I sort of do the category thing. I just try and have a little of something from each of the four categories. Not exactly like below but it gives a idea of how I break mine down. My waters are generally crap visibility in my closest lake. I fish a lot of jigs and trailers in the Dark category and secondly the Bright category. 
Dark - South African Special, Black n Blue, Junebug, Hematoma, Black Neon etc.
Light - White, Glimmer Blue, Pro Blue Pearl, Albino, Shad etc.
Bright - Sapphire Blue, Chartreuse, Bubble Gum etc.
Natural - Pumpkin seed, Red Shad, Tequila Sunrise, Texas Craw, Watermelon Seed etc.

Dont know if that helped you but maybe it will someone.  8)

Deadeye

Well here I go again, never been one to follow the crowd so I use what I Like.

My best Jig Rod(s) are the Yellow & Black Skeete Reese (Wright McGill) Jig/Heavy Worm Rod.

It is rated heavier than a MH but lighter than a Heavy. Still has a great flexible tip with good feel.

While for years I always used 65 lb braid (these rods cross over to so many things from Carolina Rig to Frogs) last year I started experimenting with good Floro to see if it made a difference in the number of Bites I get on Jigs. I found that it DID increase the Number of Bites and the Bites were HARDER.

I first started out using a 15 lb line, but this year moved up to a 20 lb line. I find that for my use, a mixture of Pitching/Flipping and Casting, that Sunline Assassin seems to work the best. Light, easy to use, with a smooth feel and very good abrasion resistance.

For Jigs themselves everyone has Brands they like but for color I mostly stay with Black & Blue, but will toss a White Jig if the shad spawn is on.

While I have never used a Brown/Blue Jig I see no reason why they would not work and will add some to my collection. 

Oldfart9999

I throw 3/8 and 1/2 ounce jigs, mostly some kind of green, on 61/2 foot mh rods short and 7 footers for longer casts. Unlike a lot of you I don't go over 20 lb test with my braid, after trying flouro and braid flouro leader I've gone to straight braid with no tail off fo bites. I'm fishing shallow, bulrushes, rocks, lumber and what grass there is. Jig it, wiggle it, pull it, bounce it or swim it, something will work.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

merc1997

Quote from: Wizard on April 30, 2019, 01:38:15 PM

Wizard
you don't say :).

bo
On Heaven's Lake

JSchwarz18

Thank you guys so much for all the replys im sorry i havent been the most active! Been doing a lot of fishing. This past week ive actually been out about 5 times for all of our local shark fishing tournaments. Havent had too much freshwater time recently but it should get better this upcoming week. Anyone break any PB's this summer?