Florida Bass Talk (May 2019)

Started by Capt. BassinLou, May 01, 2019, 10:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Good discussions last month, let's keep them going!!  ~beer~

FlatsNBay

I'll kick things off for the month. I'm excited about going to Broward County for training this month. I plan on targeting some peacock bass in the afternoons and Big G graciously offered up a general area to target. More importantly than peacocks is hitting up the place that I learned how to fish. It's a pretty special place walking down memory lane. I'm looking forward to it.

On another note, the water level over here is super low once again. It looks like I'll be traveling to Osceola and Orange County to fish. The possible lakes (listed by proximity) include the Alligator Chain, East Lake Toho, Lake Gentry, Moss Park, West Lake Toho, and the Conway Chain.

Last but not least, I'm in the process of painting my garage floor with epoxy paint. After I emptied out the garage, I jockeyed my boat around in different parking configurations in the garage to see what my options are for when it comes time for my new boat. It now looks like I may be able to fit any one of the 17' bass boats that are on the market. Before my boat jockeying, it looked like I could only fit a boat with a total package less than 19-6. The problem was, there aren't any glass bass boats that are under 19-6 with a swing tounge trailer. I'm glad that I  have a little more room! I'll probably go with my dream boat, a 17' Ranger when the time comes.

Good luck this month fellas.

big g

Thanks for the report.  Good luck on the trip.  I've got a good spot to try.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Deadeye

Good to hear you are going to be able to fit in the boat you wanted.

I chose to keep the wife happy and the garage is hers instead. Lol.

But I managed to get a spot to keep mine by tearing up the builder sidewalk that no one else on my street had and moved it to where I wanted to park the boat. Added a Harbor Freight canopy and it's been good for a year now.

LgMouthGambler

Ugh. It's only 5 o'clock here, and I'm dead tired...

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 04, 2019, 06:54:45 PM
Ugh. It's only 5 o'clock here, and I'm dead tired...

Quit whining!! More time to for you.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 04, 2019, 06:59:14 PM
Quit whining!! More time to for you.
Just had a few drinks. Couch bound now lol. Got a long day tomorrow apparently.

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 04, 2019, 07:02:07 PM
Just had a few drinks. Couch bound now lol. Got a long day tomorrow apparently.

Have fun!!

LgMouthGambler

Never fails. We are supposed to fly back tomorrow, however, my son got sick and has an ear infection. I have to get back to work Monday, which means I'm flying back alone. The boy cant fly for 5 days due to the ear infection. The wife has to fly back alone with my son. Good news is Jet Blue waved any fees given the circumstance, and they made it really painless. God bless them.

Never a dull moment in the LMG life.

BarryFL

Wait till he starts driving. Then the real fun starts.

~Barry~

~Barry~

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: TR21FL on May 10, 2019, 06:46:21 PM
Wait till he starts driving. Then the real fun starts.

~Barry~
I'll be fine, the wife.....not soo much. Lol

FlatsNBay

I just got back from a work trip in Broward. We had a small window of about an hour each afternoon which didn't leave much time for exploring and fishing. The first day I hit my old stomping grounds, TY Park. I caught a few small ones on a drop shot before getting rained out. The second day we tried the Weston area in search for peacocks. I lost a small pea and caught a small bass. The third day was spent on the Griffin Rd canal in search of peacocks. We started in Davie and my buddy jumped a couple of tarpon. I wasn't feeling it so we continued west along the canal. Once we got past the water control structure west of University the water really cleared up and was nice and Rocky, perfect looking for peas. We instantly located a 2 pounder on a bed so I busted out the old drop shot and she smoked it. That's the only peacock that we caught before it got dark. If I had to do it all over, I would of started at University and headed west along the canal. It was much better looking water. I was surprised at how many people were fishing on weeknights. They were everywhere! All in all, it's always fun but we just didn't have much time to explore or get dialed in on any one particular area.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 11, 2019, 07:31:41 AM
I just got back from a work trip in Broward. We had a small window of about an hour each afternoon which didn't leave much time for exploring and fishing. The first day I hit my old stomping grounds, TY Park. I caught a few small ones on a drop shot before getting rained out. The second day we tried the Weston area in search for peacocks. I lost a small pea and caught a small bass. The third day was spent on the Griffin Rd canal in search of peacocks. We started in Davie and my buddy jumped a couple of tarpon. I wasn't feeling it so we continued west along the canal. Once we got past the water control structure west of University the water really cleared up and was nice and Rocky, perfect looking for peas. We instantly located a 2 pounder on a bed so I busted out the old drop shot and she smoked it. That's the only peacock that we caught before it got dark. If I had to do it all over, I would of started at University and headed west along the canal. It was much better looking water. I was surprised at how many people were fishing on weeknights. They were everywhere! All in all, it's always fun but we just didn't have much time to explore or get dialed in on any one particular area.

Thanks for sharing Flats, fortunately you were able to stick a couple of fish.  ~beer~

LgMouthGambler

How's the weather been boys? I'm flying solo home today, and my mechanic is getting my boat in position for me to grab tomorrow morning. Lol

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 10, 2019, 05:24:06 PM
Never fails. We are supposed to fly back tomorrow, however, my son got sick and has an ear infection. I have to get back to work Monday, which means I'm flying back alone. The boy cant fly for 5 days due to the ear infection. The wife has to fly back alone with my son. Good news is Jet Blue waved any fees given the circumstance, and they made it really painless. God bless them.

Never a dull moment in the LMG life.

Ear infections suck!! Sorry to hear the little guy is sick again. Safe travels.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 11, 2019, 07:41:33 AM
How's the weather been boys? I'm flying solo home today, and my mechanic is getting my boat in position for me to grab tomorrow morning. Lol

Looks like the rainy season came early this year. Its been stormy, hot, and humid. So you know what that means. Afternoon storms will be hit or miss. I'm sure the water is up a little in certain areas.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 11, 2019, 07:59:42 AM
Looks like the rainy season came early this year. Its been stormy, hot, and humid. So you know what that means. Afternoon storms will be hit or miss. I'm sure the water is up a little in certain areas.
No worries. I'm usually off the water by then. Remember, I'm white. Lol

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 11, 2019, 08:09:38 AM
No worries. I'm usually off the water by then. Remember, I'm white. Lol

Ok?? ..... SMH.  ~b~

Deadeye

Summer Rain Patterns are starting to show up early here too. But at least they are not every afternoon yet.

But the Summer Heat is here for sure.

big g

Quote from: Deadeye on May 11, 2019, 08:28:52 AM
Summer Rain Patterns are starting to show up early here too. But at least they are not every afternoon yet.

But the Summer Heat is here for sure.

So true, my local lakes in Weston are at full pool and have for the last week.  The glades should be going up at a healthy clip.  The Glades bonanza my slow before it really got crazy!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

big g

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 10, 2019, 06:55:05 PM
I'll be fine, the wife.....not soo much. Lol

It's always something with little ones. When mine were real young our Ped Doctor gave us ear drops with numbing meds for plane trips.  They saved many a vacation especially since my boy was prone to ear problems.  He said he never took his kids on a plane without them.  He slept great after the drops too.

FD

My oldest Josh, had constant ear infection and the doc put tubes in which helped a little. Then one day his head had grown, the ear canals opened up, the tubes fell out and he was fine. Like a switch had been thrown and no more ear issues.

Sent from the end of the paved road...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

LgMouthGambler

This a good weekend to get out and do some night fishing for those of you that have thought about doing it.

Capt. BassinLou

Beautiful morning to just chill.

LgMouthGambler

Now that's pretty. Obviously you are still on the East coast

<")))>{