Swim jigs

Started by nats, May 06, 2019, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nats

Always have to state living in New England can't use lead so no nu- techs.  Ewg or round bend?

SteveTX

Round bend!
I have yet to find a good use for a EWG hook in fishing. Too small to use as a cotter in on the prop.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: SteveTX on May 06, 2019, 09:34:31 PM
Round bend!
I have yet to find a good use for a EWG hook in fishing. Too small to use as a cotter in on the prop.
I'm with you Steve. I only use an EWG hook if I have no other option.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

A round bend on a swim jig.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

nats

Oldfart9999

Use an EWG with tubes, most others the hooks have to be bigger to match what I like to do.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Deadeye

Quote from: SteveTX on May 06, 2019, 09:34:31 PM
Round bend!

While I agree with Steve on a Round Bend for the Jig, since I started using EWG that is just about all I use anymore.

I get great penetration and if cheek hooked the hook will go all the way through and the fish will "hang" in the gap. To make the point even more I have packs of EWG in 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0. Super Line Packs in 4/0, 5/0, and 6/0 (for really big worms). I have only one pack left of the regular Worm Hook and I think it is a 5/0 or 4/0 pack.

But to each their own and what works well for me may not for you and visa-versa.

Stren_g

For a swim jig, I like poison tails. I have some round bends also and have good luck with both. For non lead jigs I'm not much help, I'd probably look for something made of tungsten.

fishballer06

Eco-Pro Tungsten Swing Swim Jigs. Those little suckers come through anything with that swinging EWG hook and the design gives your bait amazing action. Don't knock it until you try it.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

nats

Quote from: fishballer06 on May 07, 2019, 11:48:39 AM
Eco-Pro Tungsten Swing Swim Jigs. Those little suckers come through anything with that swinging EWG hook and the design gives your bait amazing action. Don't knock it until you try it.
.  Ok, I knew someone would give me a reason to buy more. Lol

Oldfart9999

You can check out Cadmans lures, he makes some non lead jigs, his work is very good. I make my own, Poison Tails with the Mustad hook designed for the mold, have found them to be a good all around jig head. You live in the no fun states, all because one loon died after doses of over a thousand times normal intake daily of lead. What did they think would happen, could give them a thousand times normal daily dose vitamin pills and they would die. Lead is so bad the the EPA says there isn't enough evidence to ban lead fishing supplies.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.