Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spinning rod for pad fishing and frogging  (Read 477 times)

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Spinning rod for pad fishing and frogging
« on: May 08, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »

Can a medium heavy spinning rod with braid stand up to frogging and pads the same as a medium heavy baitcasting rod, line being the same that is? I'm considering setting up a Berkley Lightning Rod MH/F spinning rod, with a Pflueger Trion or President with braided line to make a decent rod for use on one lake that has loads of pads. I'm sort of feeling the need to justify my choice of the Lightning Rod for some reason, but dangit I just like it and can't deny it! I'm also kind of interested in trying spinning equipment for more than just light weight baits, so that's why I want to go that way. The only other questionable choice would be using a spinning reel and it standing up to the amount of pulling force I foresee that I'll be putting on the stem where it meets the foot and the rod. So what kinds of things might I be overlooking in doing this? How similar is a same rated spinning blank to a casting blank, are they the same with just different guides?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:50:50 PM by The Rooster »

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Re: Spinning rod for pad fishing and frogging
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:47:23 PM »

You hit the nail on the head. A spinning rod can handle it but the reel will be over stressed. I used to use a lightning rod for some of those same applications but went through reels often. I bent them, stripped them, and flat out locked one up.
The only way to combat that is to use a bigger saltwater version. And that leads into more money.
Dobyns Rods fish all day
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 09:52:16 PM »

You hit the nail on the head. A spinning rod can handle it but the reel will be over stressed. I used to use a lightning rod for some of those same applications but went through reels often. I bent them, stripped them, and flat out locked one up.
The only way to combat that is to use a bigger saltwater version. And that leads into more money.

Could I possibly consider a nicer one with an aluminum frame to solve this?

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 10:21:04 PM »

Could I possibly consider a nicer one with an aluminum frame to solve this?
Definitely need some kind of metal framed reel to accomplish this feat. That being said, I've known plenty of people who frog fish, and only fish,  with a spinning rig.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • The most underestimated bass fisherman on UB - zip
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 10:41:54 PM »

Definitely need some kind of metal framed reel to accomplish this feat. That being said, I've known plenty of people who frog fish, and only fish,  with a spinning rig.

Same here. I would suggest to use at least a 4000 series size reel. My brother frog fishes using my Penn Fierce reel on a Berkley Fusion FSN702MH 7' Medium Heavy rod. It is the original Fierce not the newer Fierce II model. It wasn't a expensive reel but it did have a solid metal frame. So far only the handle knob has broke off.  lo But the aftermarket replacement knob has held up well. Definitely not ideal for frog fishing but will catch some and cost you some.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 05:32:07 AM »

Ok, let's go the other way then. I have another setup, an Abu Garcia Orra2 SX-HS baitcaster on a 6'6" MH/F Shimano Compre rod that I currently use for jigs and plastics. Maybe I could make this the frog rod and use braided line, and use the spinning rod for jigs and plastics instead. I know a lot of you guys prefer longer rods for this but is a 6'6" frog rod unheard of?

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 05:46:17 AM »

I'd abandon the idea of a spinning rig for pads and frogging for the same reasons most have mentioned plus I feel you need more control and sheer winching power in pads. I have a Compre MH, it's 6'8" I believe and very good sensitivity but, it's not a great hook setter.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • The most underestimated bass fisherman on UB - zip
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »

After rereading your post today I think I missed on my first reply.
Can a medium heavy spinning rod with braid stand up to frogging and pads the same as a medium heavy baitcasting rod, line being the same that is?
No it cannot in my opinion.
I'm considering setting up a Berkley Lightning Rod MH/F spinning rod, with a Pflueger Trion or President with braided line to make a decent rod for use on one lake that has loads of pads. I'm sort of feeling the need to justify my choice of the Lightning Rod for some reason, but dangit I just like it and can't deny it!
I don't think you need to justify a Berkley Lightning Rod, Pflueger Trion, or a President reel. They are what they are. Many people fish with the Lightning Rod. As for the reels some people love them and fish them. If it works for you, that is what keeps you catching and wanting to return, go for it.
I'm also kind of interested in trying spinning equipment for more than just light weight baits, so that's why I want to go that way. The only other questionable choice would be using a spinning reel and it standing up to the amount of pulling force I foresee that I'll be putting on the stem where it meets the foot and the rod. So what kinds of things might I be overlooking in doing this?
Spinning equipment is some of the most heavy duty designs made. Look on a lot of fishing charters on the ocean. That said it generally isnt designed for bass fishing in pads. To me the first major issue is fishing open water (oceans) vs where Bass love to hide. I fish large pads with stems the size of a grown mans pinky finger. Not sure what your area is like. To effectively fish these pads a very stout rod is key (think broomstick). You must get the head of the bass up quickly almost with the hookset. If you don't they run and wind you around the stems and leave your hook stuck to one. Spinning reels for bass fishing from my experience are more for wearing down the fish. The very forgiving spinning rods do a excellent job keeping the slack out of the line while applying pressure. But pad fishing this is not going to be successful very often.

Second is that killer spinning equipment to handle bigger fish, or a 3lb bass covered in 5lbs of crud, is not the same as budget minded equipment you listed. Cranking bass through pads is very tough on reels and rods. Ive broke rods one was a 7'2" Mag Heavy another was a 7' Med Heavy casting rod. Also as mentioned previously one spinning reel knob was lost in a battle. This type of fishing is hard on equipment. Its not just the weight of the fish or the crap on him but your dragging all that through the other crud. It gets heavy. 
How similar is a same rated spinning blank to a casting blank, are they the same with just different guides?
They are not the same blanks from what I know. But I do not know a ton about rod making so it would be better if someone else answered that.
Ok, let's go the other way then. I have another setup, an Abu Garcia Orra2 SX-HS baitcaster on a 6'6" MH/F Shimano Compre rod that I currently use for jigs and plastics. Maybe I could make this the frog rod and use braided line, and use the spinning rod for jigs and plastics instead. I know a lot of you guys prefer longer rods for this but is a 6'6" frog rod unheard of?
I believe the Abu Garcia Orra2 SX-HS baitcaster on a 6'6" MH/F Shimano Compre rod would be a better frog rod than the previous spinning thought. Again depending on where your fishing the jigs and plastics would for me determine how optimal it would be. Not that many years ago almost every bass rod was between 5' to 7' length so no its not unheard of.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 05:03:18 PM »

Thank you for this awesome and very detailed answer.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 06:10:36 PM »

Not too familiar with the Orra line, but if I recall the frame is aluminum and the gears are brass. If they are, swing away.

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »

Not too familiar with the Orra line, but if I recall the frame is aluminum and the gears are brass. If they are, swing away.

Yes, thatís it. Brass drive and pinion gears on an aluminum frame. I added a couple extra bearings to mine to smooth it out too. Just needs a carbon drag upgrade now and it will be ready, but the drag that it has is smooth as is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 23 queries.