Top Water and Follow Up

Started by Bud Kennedy, May 10, 2019, 12:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

it is top water time again.  So many choices but the tried and true old favorites still grace my rods more than other.  I like using a Pop R or sometimes a Buzz Bait.  Buzz to search Pop R when it needs to be a bit slower.  Follow up baits are usually a T Rigged senko.  If I am frogging in the heavy stuff then a punch rig just might do the trick although I tend to depend more on a Nutech Jig with a trailer selection.  What are your selections?

Stren_g

Bud I usually throw a frog, buzzbait, or a pop r. I really like a fluke as a follow up, even in the thick stuff. I'll sometimes drag it on the mats and let it fall where I missed the bass.

Lee Smith

Mat-Weighted/rattled froggy: follow up - 1 oz pegged Super Bug!

Grass - Ribit style frog: follow up - double willow spinner bug

Wood- Buzz Bait: follow up - nekkid Nutech 1/2 oz football head with a stick bait on the hook

Open - Pop-R: follow up - Minus 1 crank
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Wizard

I often fished a Spook. My follow up bait is an unweighted Sluggo. Here's why: I've noticed that bass will hit the Spook and often miss the hooks. The bass goes down 5-8 foot and looks toward the surface. An unweighted Sluggo looks and moves like a baitfish very slowly gliding and moving like it was struck and is vulnerable. The bass knows it hit something and is looking up for an injured bait. The Sluggo imitates that very closely.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

PopR, buzzbait, torpedo, toads, follow up, worm, senko style or tube.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.