Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What makes a rod sensitive?  (Read 192 times)

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
What makes a rod sensitive?
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »

I know this might be a question someone new to fishing would ask, and that's definitely not me, but I'm not sure I've ever fully known what makes a rod sensitive. For years I believed that if IM6 graphite was sensitive then IM7 was better, and IM8 was better still. Now I see rods rated in tons rather than type of graphite, or carbon, or whatever they use now.

As of lately I've been rethinking a lot of things about fishing that I had previously settled on explanations for and made purchasing decisions based on. In my head I can see sensitivity related to overall rigidity of the blank, and overall weight of a rod (the lack of weight that is) so that it is light and balanced, to make it more responsive and less dense, and a good sensitive line which transfers sensations from the line to the rod to my hand. This new way of thinking doesn't give any credit to the rod blank materials at all, except to say that certain types of materials are more likely to create what I just described than others might be. So do I have the basic idea or did I miss by a mile?

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
Re: What makes a rod sensitive?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:21:30 PM »

great question.  betting answers you get will be part science/fact and part opinion/what a person 'prefers'.

as for me?  more dense materials (stiffer fibers) transmit better.  dampen vibrations less.  then there will be the argument about more/less line guides.  types.

for a rod, based on how I h old it, palm the reel and don't stick the line over my finger like a lot of folks, I like graphite IM6 or IM7.  more line guides vs less.  EXPOSED rod bland under reel seat that's in contact with my hand/fingers.  love the lack of cork fore-grips now so finger as I palm the reel is on the blank.

those are my thoughts/preferences.

it's also good to know that I use some graphite/glass composite rods that are quite sensitive as well.  we're just a lot better at making rods today.

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »

To clarify, I might have used the word dense incorrectly .  I meant to imply a dull heavy rod that absorbed vibrations instead of transferring them.

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »

very good question.  the thinner walled any type of blank is, the better feel they will have, but also break much easier.  ever watch how many rods the pros break, and we are not even seeing but a small portion of what they actually break.  thinner walls also mean lighter weight, which can mean a lot at the end of the day for some.

when choosing a new rod, see if they will let you put a reel with line on it and a practice casting plug, and actually cast it to see how the rod responds and how much feel you get when reeling back the casting plug.  what action you may like might not work for the next person.

bo

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 10:49:22 AM »

one other thing I forgot to mention:  balance.

a balanced rod will be more sensitive than an unbalanced rod.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »

As Bo pointed out thinner walled blanks are more sensitive. I also believe but may be incorrect that the way the material is wrapped can also affect sensitivity.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

Lee Smith

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »

A balanced rod is a sensitive rod.....
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 23 queries.