Trailer hub - oil replacement period?

Started by Bassinkorea, May 13, 2019, 07:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassinkorea

I have oil filled hubs on my single axle Triton trailer. I have had the boat/trailer since 2011 and have never replaced the oil so far. How often should the oil be replaced and what kind of oil should be used?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Deadeye

There are different Brands of Oil Cooled Hubs, and which one yours is will determine what you have asked.

Mine are the Ranger Cool Hubs that they ran until the new Volt Hubs (think that is the name) came out. With mine they are to be changed Once a Year and with Valvoline 20W50 Racing Oil.

It is a simple procedure to pull the wheel, undo the Plug, turn the Hub over and let it drain. This may take anywhere from a few hours to overnight depending on temp. I'm sure the Shops have a faster way to pull it out.

Once it is drained, turn the hub back upright and fill with new oil. This too will take some time to slowly work into all the areas. I tend to fill the funnel to a point I think is enough and then walk away and come back later and check. I also try to Level the Hub as best as I can while filling. A Tap or Two on the hub will help get the last air out.

I hear the Shops charge about $100 to do it but it is so simple I've never had them do it.

Mike Cork

For true oil hubs annual is a good idea but as you've proven it can go longer but I personally wouldn't go over two years. I do put a lot of miles on my trailer though.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bassinkorea

Thanks for the info guys. Seems I am well overdue for an oil change.

Bassinkorea

Wow, this thread is almost one year old......and I still haven't got around to replacing my hub oil   :surrender:

I have tried several sources over here and have been unable to find any 50wt oil. Does anyone know if it is possible/legal to ship oil from the US to Korea??

Deadeye

Quote from: Bassinkorea on April 24, 2020, 11:47:00 PM
Wow, this thread is almost one year old......and I still haven't got around to replacing my hub oil   :surrender:

I have tried several sources over here and have been unable to find any 50wt oil. Does anyone know if it is possible/legal to ship oil from the US to Korea??

Try Amazon or EBay and see if they will ship to you.

Bassinkorea

I've checked at a couple of places and due to oil being a chemical, shipping it here is not going to happen. I've also checked with a few other folks and they confirmed that 50wt is not available in Korea.

One car shop I visited had 60wt, and someone suggested that 75wt or 90wt would be ok. I have no knowledge of oil wt's, so looking for advise from you guys here.

Deadeye

Quote from: Bassinkorea on May 06, 2020, 09:26:34 PM
I've checked at a couple of places and due to oil being a chemical, shipping it here is not going to happen. I've also checked with a few other folks and they confirmed that 50wt is not available in Korea.

One car shop I visited had 60wt, and someone suggested that 75wt or 90wt would be ok. I have no knowledge of oil wt's, so looking for advise from you guys here.

The Higher the number the Thicker the Oil.

I'd probably go with the 60 wt if that's all you can get.

Gear Lube is basically 90 wt oil, for reference.

I think why Ranger called for the Valvoline 20W50 Racing Oil is because of the varying conditions here in the States. Colder weather the lighter weight (20) would still flow and at Wamer Temps the 50 would still hold up.

The only way I'd really be concerned with the 60, if that's all you can get, is IF you get pretty cold weather over there where you'd be pulling the Trailer. If your Temps stay over 40-50* I'd say you'd be OK. Of course this just MY Opinion and your mileage may vary  :)

Oldfart9999

If you can 20-40 or 20-60 in a racing oil you should be ok. Are you able to get anything like Lucas oil products?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Capt. BassinLou

BK have you called Triton and explained your situation? 

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 07, 2020, 06:50:28 AM
BK have you called Triton and explained your situation?

I just got off the phone with them and they said 90wt is a good substitute.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bassinkorea on May 07, 2020, 09:11:45 AM
I just got off the phone with them and they said 90wt is a good substitute.

There you go.  ~beer~

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 07, 2020, 09:21:55 AM
There you go.  ~beer~

Yes, but apparently, 90wt is not available here either according to one of my sources. I'm going to check more sources tomorrow.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bassinkorea on May 07, 2020, 11:13:04 AM
Yes, but apparently, 90wt is not available here either according to one of my sources. I'm going to check more sources tomorrow.

Geesh!! What systems are other S.Korean Anglers using for their trailers?

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 07, 2020, 11:27:00 AM
Geesh!! What systems are other S.Korean Anglers using for their trailers?

Grease.
And the fact that they just don't change their oil like I haven't for years.

It's not unheard of to hear of people having hub failures on the highways several time per year here.

Bud Kennedy

Having spent a significant part of my life traveling the world, I have become amazed how most other countries make do with what they have.  These folks are fixers and just keep products going forever and seem to be able to fix just about anything at anytime in any place.  If they can't find the parts they have a way of making something that will work.  Maybe not to manufacturer standards but it will work.   ~c~ ~c~