What might be the problem Help Please

Started by Bud Kennedy, May 14, 2019, 12:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

The ol Fast Strike had a problem today.  Left the ramp on idle this morning and idled for a while observing electronics.  Shut the motor down and went on the Troller and began fishing for a couple hours.  When time to get back to the ramp the motor would not fire.  Plenty of crank but motor never fired.  Got back on the troller and trolled to the dock.  Once back at the dock tried the motor and it fired up and all seems ok but obviously there is a problem afoot.

I could smell fuel but just had no fire.  My first thought before smelling fuel was the fuel pump but now I am thinking it could be a coil or something.  I have not started to trouble shoot but will do so this afternoon.  Does anyone have any ideas that may have caused this problem?  Until then I am going to check all the connections for fuel and electrical but not sure what I will find. 

This is an old motor with no computers or fuel injection just the good ol carb motor.

BarryFL

Do you have a kill switch? If so, that's where I'd start looking. Mine doesn't have to be totally flipped to kill the spark.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Mike Cork

Even being older you should still have a coil per cylinder and it should have started but run poorly. I'm with Barry in the kill switch idea. Odd that it fired at the ramp with no adjustments though, the switch its self could have issues?

And the old Fast Strike, because it was carbed, could flood on occasion. The wait time allowed it to dry out and fire.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

Allow me to describe another condition.

If the boat has not been run for a week or so, it tends to stall right after the initial start.  The follow up start is fine.  Now since the boat has not been run in a week or so, If I throttle up to go on plane (after warm up)  the motor is unable to make rpms right away but in a few more seconds 10 or 15 seconds, it planes and then is fine.  All other starts and throttle up activity that day are normal and without problems.  The next time out ( a week or so)  the same thing will happen.  Motor does not miss or anything it just can't make initial rpms. 

I just cant understand what is happening that is why I was suspecting fuel pump.  This stuff all started to happen after the fuel line and primer bulb replacement.  FYI  The primer bulb is not hard firm just kind of medium firm/soft.

I have checked the kill switch and all seems to be good.  Don't we just love these intermittent deals.

BarryFL

Ok. I'd check fuel filters and all connections on fuel lines. Could be air entering the lines and until it is sucked out, fuel rate is low.

Yes, these things will drive you nuts.

~Barry~
~Barry~

Bud Kennedy

Just performed a quickie inspection and did find that I have some seeping around a carb and perhaps another one.  Obviously this needs attention.  All fuel connections look ok but I really can't get to them without removing some other stuff so I will leave that up to the service shop.  Gonna call them in the morning to find out when I can get them to look at it.

BarryFL

I hope it's not boat the acronym.

Break Out Another Thousand

Good luck.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: BarryFL on May 14, 2019, 05:49:33 PM
I hope it's not boat the acronym.

Break Out Another Thousand

Good luck.

~Barry~

I hope not too.  It is hard enough to just find anyone to work on these old motors.  Should not be too bad but if it is then it is.   Still has to be more cost effective than $15K for a new motor.

Bud Kennedy

Boat goes in the shop on Monday.  Hopefully they can resolve the problem.  Mechanic seems to be familiar with the issue and is confident.  I sure am glad to have someone to work on this older motor.  I really appreciate being able to get into the shop so quickly.  This is when it pays to have a good relationship with your service provider.  They have been working on my stuff for a number of years since I left Santee.  Pricing has always been fair and the quality of work has always been good.  I will keep my fingers crossed that everything turns out good.

Wizard

Bud, I ran the Fast Strike for years. When you have the problem you mentioned, take off the cowling and move the flywheel just a little. It should fire right up. That was a common problem with Johnson and Rude outboards of that vintage. The engine would start and run fine until you shut it down. Turn the key and it turned over but wouldn't start. There was no service announcement about the problem. The problem and fix was word of mouth.
You're welcome.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

If it's a leaking or loose gasket it shouldn't be too bad Bud, hopefully that's all it is.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.