Abu Garcia fantasista premier rod vs Dobyns

Started by Jdog, May 14, 2019, 02:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

loomisguy

What are you wanting to do with it ? I assume you mean HP or XP on the Dobyns ?

Jdog

Heavier jigs and trigs 1/2oz . And some Carolina rig.

loomisguy

The Fantasista used to be a JDM only rod and many of Abu's pro staff guys used them even though they weren't sold in the US.
Now that they are, I'm not sure it's the same blank or not. Anyway, They don't bring much used so I would recommend going that way rather than pay full price for one.
Between your 2 choices I would lean to the Dobyns if for no other reason than if you have issues you would have Dobyns customer service .
You may want to check out the new Megabass Levante as well. I've used it quite a bit now and it's a really impressive rod.. There's not many times I think a rod is worth more than it costs but I think this one is.

zippyduck

I still have a few Abu rods. 1 fantasista and 2 Villains. I am going all Dobyns now. I can buy a rod built for the technique I plan to use. All Abu rods are built to be a ML, M, MH, H. all are extremely fast action. And the heavier you get the less tip action you get. Don't get me wrong they are sensitive as all get out but casting all day with one will wear you out..

Gary designs each rod for a technique and they all shine in their area.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"