Champion 704 SF Refurb

Started by apenland01, May 14, 2019, 07:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apenland01

I just bought this rod directly from the Dobyn's store this past week and it arrived on Saturday.  It looks great and feels pretty good in the hands.  I took it to my local urban lake and put about 50 casts in with a 5" fluke and liked it.

For those that also have this rod, what other baits are liking to throw with this stick?

Mike Cork

I love fishing a shakey head around docks and brush with it. Some think a 4 power is over kill but I like being about to pull bass from cover quickly. A 703 can get the job done and is actually designed for shakey heads but I really like the 704 for this.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

nats

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 15, 2019, 09:53:16 AM
I love fishing a shakey head around docks and brush with it. Some think a 4 power is over kill but I like being about to pull bass from cover quickly. A 703 can get the job done and is actually designed for shakey heads but I really like the 704 for this.
.  I agree with this totally, even use mine for weightless wacky, and shaky until I go down to 1/8, then I reach for the 703

fishballer06

3/16oz jighead with a 3.3" Keitech.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

apenland01

Great ideas all around, thanks!

I'll experiment this weekend and see how that goes.

Gary Dobyns

We have been moving a lot more 704SF and even 705SF rods lately. We get lots of responses on these. Some guys simply like spinning rods, many times it's for wives or kids that still aren't great with casting reels. But, the other day I spoke with an angler on spinning and his whole deal was getting a vertical fall on jigs next to trees in water to about 20 feet deep. It was all about presentation of the bait and getting a fast vertical fall that casting rods find hard to do. After talking at length with this angler I realized he was damn SAVVY and had total confidence in this presentation. The pics of the fish and trophies backed it up. Anyway back to original question Shaky Heads are super popular on 704 SF. So are fishing weightless Flukes. THX!!!

apenland01

Caught my first fish on the 704 SF using a fluke early on Saturday morning, which was the first day of our tournament.  Just so happened to be wearing the free Dobyns T-shirt I won here on Ultimate Bass during the January Dobyns hat and T-shirt contest.

Thanks to Dobyns and UB for doing the contests for free gear, I greatly appreciate it!

Capt. BassinLou

cookieman

got my first Dobyns rod this spring. The 704sf.What a rod so sensative. Called in first about a 703sf because as summer wears on  the weeds get thicker and spread out and was not sure what i needed. They suggested the 704sf. Time went by kind of waiting on a sale when Overtons had 40% off so boy did the bait monkey hit me. I called again to double check the kind of fishing i was going to do and another man suggested the 704 not hesitating a second. I bought one and it works like nothing i have ever used. The weeds and grass, lily pads are just starting so getting excited to use it . Have always avoided the thick stuff but not now. this rod will be great for heavy grass.