Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronics?  (Read 637 times)

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
Electronics?
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:56 PM »

I was looking at my newly arrived Marine catalog and turned to the electronics section to see the latest and greatest fish finders. There, right next to the pretty picture of the finder, in extra large bold type, was the price of the finder. $3999 Dang! The finder cost more than my first new bass boat with 2 finders.
Many anglers on UB (myself included) started bass fishing before marine electronics were invented. We were all intuitive anglers using nature and experience to find bass. In tournaments, most of the money was won by those with the greater experience and the better fishing mind. In the late 1960's, Dr. Lowrance worked on ways to use military sonar principles and transition them into a much smaller civilian application. His first fishing sonar was the LBG (Little Green Box) which showed much of the basic information as modern electronics. You just had to use your brain to understand what the box was showing you. Everyone had to have one and the marine electronics industry rocketed ahead--as did the prices.
I have good electronics on my Puma but only look at the depth. I fun fish today and probably wouldn't use them. Once an intuitive angler, always one.
I still have 2 LBG and both work. I could still use them today. However, if I was still a tournament angler, I would need $8000 worth of brand new electronics on my boat even though I wouldn't use them often.

Wizard

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders zone
Re: Electronics?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »

I agree the price of many things has reached a insanity level. Don't get me wrong I just spent $599.00 on one myself. I like it but has it seriously changed my game? Not yet but I haven't really put the work in yet either.  lo It still seems foolish that I got it. It will be out dated in less than 2 years most likely. All electronics seem to age very fast.

$500 swimbaits, $25 jerkbaits, $3999 depth finders all seem a bit over board just to fish.  >:D
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here.

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:52 PM »

I broke down a few months ago and bought a used Lowrance HDS-8 gen 1.  I wanted a bigger screen than the X102c that came on my boat when I bought it.  It's a good upgrade for $275 and I really like the bigger screen.

Having said that, it does things that I don't know how to use yet.  I only use the US2 transducer that is built into my Ultrex, so I don't have the fancy imaging.  I really want to learn to use the split screen with charts and stuff, but just need to take the time to learn it and then spend the time at the lake using it.

I can't even imagine what $3,999 would do!

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 06:18:46 AM »

I understand, I just dropped 800$ for a larger screen with more capability than I need and thought I got off cheap. lo ;) What the top of the line can do is nothing short of amazing. I will say my HOOK 2 9 inch at 800$ will do as much or more than the original HDS 8 inch at a much lower cost without the extra box and only one transducer, in fact the only thing it won't do is link to another unit, I find that amazing also. Electronics have come a very long way since I had my Silent 30 flasher. The biggest thing they have helped me with is fishing offshore and getting back on a spot quickly and I find they tell me what cover is there and shortcut the amount of water I have to search to find fish. I can find rock piles and cover on new lakes without having to break out a crankbait or jig, in fact, I don't need to leave my seat to find the best looking water but I do find myself reading the shoreline to get an idea of what's under the surface and looking for birds. You still have to know the seasonal movements.
Basically the new electronics shortcut the time it takes to find fish but you still have to know about where on the water to start the search and then know what to do to put them in the boat, the oldtimers in general have a really good handle on that and don't bet the farm agaisnt them.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 08:44:52 AM »

It's beyond crazy! The bass fishing market in particular has become part of the tech stocks bubble. I'd actually love to see the popularity of bass fishing drop significantly. With the millions of folks who believe throwing millions of $$ at everything from bassboats to gadgets will make them some kind bass fishing super stars, the insanity will continue.
Wasn't that long ago that a generation of chartfinders would have a current technology life cycle of at least 3 years. Now, there's a new generation being pumped out every year. The new units you buy today will loose half their used market value in the first year.

There are times I think about getting out of the fast lane, buying a 14 foot jon boat, a 9.9, and go back to fishing the creeks and ponds. I'd probably catch more fish and have more money. ::)
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

bluebonnet2

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »

good morning,

for the average weekend fisherman, we are getting way to technical.....my 9elite ti has way to many screens for my weekend use......just watch for birds, lay downs, riprap, free standing trees, etc....

tournament guys have a different plan when fishing.....just saying...

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
here we go!!!!!
vietnam vet...4th inf. div. 66-67
Life member BASS

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 09:01:42 AM »

Last week en route to winning the FLW at Chickamauga, John Cox shoved his rod into the water to check the depth and bottom composition (I'm sure). That's old school, and that's the way I like it. A lot.
If you wanna hear God laugh, tell him your plans...

Nutoy

• Largemouth
  • It aint over until the last cast
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 09:44:52 AM »

Do you need the latest and greatest electronics to catch fish,,, No. People catch fish everyday with no electronics.
Do you need the latest and greatest electronics to compete in the upper class tournaments. No, BUT, if you're still using technology that's 20 years old, you are going to get your butt handed to you time and time again by the guys that have, and KNOW how to use the latest and greatest. Knowing how to use the latest and greatest is a topic all in itself.
The exception to this is in the spring time when most fish are up shallow during the spawn. Even then, not all fish spawn at the same time and there will still be groups of larger fish that are staged up out deeper. Finding those groups can be a hay day during a tournament. Finding them without some type of decent electronics can be very difficult. Sure, you can chunk a lure around hoping to "luck" into finding them, but that can mean hours of blind casting into areas that hold nothing.
To me, the minimum electronics would be something capable of marking waypoints, and have decent sonar capabilities that will show fish. Also being able to network the units together is a plus.
The first thing I learned was just because the fish are there, it does'nt mean they will eat your bait, but, at least you will know there is fish there, and are able to mark the spot so you can return later when they are hopefully feeding.
With all this said, the best way to stay reasonably up to date on electronics is to be patient. Like most big boy toys, when something new hits the market, lots of guys, or gals, will go out and buy it. You can then buy their older stuff at a fraction of the cost of what they payed for it. In this day and age of rapid technology advancements, many of these "new" units are only months old and they are already out of date..
Something that I think about all the time is, what we have now is just outdated military technology. What do they have now?

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »

so, I'm not a tournament guy.  won't ever be one again neither.

I am of a different opinion:  these electronics are game-changers and especially when fishing off-shore a couple hundred yards or more, key to finding and most-important 're-finding' key spots that are often very small in size.

I'm perfectly happy to run the banks tossing at 'grass' points, inverted points, wood, rock, etc.  always fish there.  but the one's that everyone wants to take photos of?  95% of the year they live somewhere else.  buck perry understood that  (and what/how he did what he did is a testament to his genius!)

I guarantee, he wasn't in water often that he could stick his rod down and check bottom hardness.

GPS.  hard spots.  shell beds.  big keys to success in the world I live/fish in now.

so what do I have NOW in terms of electronics?
1. 80lb foretrex.  purchased just before the ultrex was released.  (that's a DANGIT!)
2. 2 Lowrance HDS7 gen2 touch units.  Side imaging on stern, cartograph, 2d up front.

as I get older and the eyes continue to betray me more and more, will be moving to bigger screens.

Just like I set up larger print on my kindle for reading.

~roflmao

Steve81

• Largemouth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »

I have Gen 2 Touch (Lowrance) units on my boat that I bought when they were a little over a year old. Since then, 3 more versions have came out. For the most part, they all do the same things that mine do but they can do them faster and clearer.

I have side/down scan and use both quite a bit but I will be the first to tell you that I'm not king of offshore fishing. Even when I find the juiciest looking ledge, I will still be eye balling that perfect looking dock or grass line over on the shore. I've said it a thousand times but one of these days, I'm going to spend a couple of days on a good lake and do nothing but fishing offshore.

I would love to have the latest in electronics but the price is just going to keep me out of that for the foreseeable future. I think I will wait until I buy an new(ish) boat before I make that kind of a leap.
2007 Triton Tr21X/225 Pro XS
Hijacker JP/25P Tempest
Lowrance electronics

Nutoy

• Largemouth
  • It aint over until the last cast
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 09:59:14 AM »

coldfront, I totally agree with the fact that the newer electronics are a game changer, even for a non-tournament angler that takes the time to get the most out of the units and venture away from the bank.
Also agree that the larger units are better on the eyes, especially when trying to decipher what you are looking at.

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »

I have side/down scan and use both quite a bit but I will be the first to tell you that I'm not king of offshore fishing. Even when I find the juiciest looking ledge, I will still be eye balling that perfect looking dock or grass line over on the shore. I've said it a thousand times but one of these days, I'm going to spend a couple of days on a good lake and do nothing but fishing offshore.

steve:  I just spent a couple days with a guide.  paid trip.  90% of our time was spend riding around looking at the graph.  talking about structure.  what makes it key (attributes observable on the sonar)

I'm 'that guy' who is at heart a bank-beater.  30 years of that being key kind of makes it a reflex now.
back when I was in club tournaments, the guy who consistently won, moved away from shore and went to find those off-shore spots.  he did it with older electronics.  I had the new LMS-480 (with GPS!)

helped me make up for a 20 year head start that he had regarding lake knowledge.

now fishing TN river lakes:  the fish I want don't hang out on shoreline like I WISH they would.

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »

i saw some that were $4500.  that is more than my boat is worth!  guess, i will just have to stick with my old "cheap" stuff, and continue to use what brain i have left to figure them out.  i am not derby fishing and just fishing for the love of it.  as far as 2d sonar, a good flasher still will show you everything that is on your screen.  you just have to able to interpret all those red blips.

i started out with my first flasher and a set of buoy markers.  i would mark out a 15' contour line, or the edges of a ditch.  the buoys helped me to begin to have a visual picture of what all those blips were telling me.  i would pass over visual trees and watch what other blips showed up on the screen.  after quite a bit of on the water time, all those blips put a perfect picture in my mind of exactly what i was looking at.  bottom hardness, steepness of contour, vertical ledges, trees, grass, ect.  this new stuff is quite good, but in some ways, it is like having everything done for you, and not use your brain to problem solve and reason.  your brain is still, by far, the best fishing tool you have.

bo

Steve81

• Largemouth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »

steve:  I just spent a couple days with a guide.  paid trip.  90% of our time was spend riding around looking at the graph.  talking about structure.  what makes it key (attributes observable on the sonar)

I'm 'that guy' who is at heart a bank-beater.  30 years of that being key kind of makes it a reflex now.
back when I was in club tournaments, the guy who consistently won, moved away from shore and went to find those off-shore spots.  he did it with older electronics.  I had the new LMS-480 (with GPS!)

helped me make up for a 20 year head start that he had regarding lake knowledge.

now fishing TN river lakes:  the fish I want don't hang out on shoreline like I WISH they would.

Oh I'm fully aware what I SHOULD be doing! However, I have never been called smart.

Over the last couple of years, I have been to places that have a more viable offshore pattern. I grew up in Oklahoma. Even in the days of the LCD graphs, offshore rarely held bass. Even now, offshore fishing there consists of planted brushpiles. Personally, I have always been pretty good at that.

But being to lakes like Eufaula in AL and Okoboji in IA has really helped bridge the gap for finding bass offshore. As it stands now, I am good enough to find and catch bass offshore but will most likely get my butt beat in a tournament if that is the "deal" that wins. Due to that, I have tried to channel my inner John Cox and fish how I know to fish. I'll give that offshore stuff an honest effort in practice but if I'm not fully convinced of it, I'm looking for what I know come tournament time.
2007 Triton Tr21X/225 Pro XS
Hijacker JP/25P Tempest
Lowrance electronics

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 10:22:33 AM »

Oh I'm fully aware what I SHOULD be doing! However, I have never been called smart.

boy does that describe me too.   lo

and you are right:  a guy can go a long way just fishing his strengths.

cool think about being a human:  give a guy at least one opposable thumb, a brain and a plan and there's always a chance at success.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • Ultimate Bass Life Member / LSCR Club Member
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »

I don't tournament fish anymore either and my style of fishing is pretty basic and simple.

Last year I had to upgrade the electronics in both of my boats. They all finally gave up the ghost.
My 2004 Stratos had the factory installed Lowrance X51's mounted in it on the bow and console.  My 2006 G3 Alwed Jon boat had 2006 Humminbird and Eagle electronics in it.

My Stratos got refitted with new then Hook7's on the bow and console.  I still haven't learned how to properly use all of the things it can do.  I was able to purchase both units for $300.00 apiece from Academy.

The G3 got refitted with the Humminbird PiranhaMAX4 units.  I have one mounted on the front deck and one at the rear seat.  I only use this boat to fish small rivers and lakes.  Mostly electric motor lakes.  I was able to purchase these from Walmart and BPS for the price of $ 100.00 each.

For my style of fishing they serve the purpose that I need them too.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat 2 Stroke Yamaha 25 outboard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 24 queries.