Surprise Pike Initiates New Rod and Reel

Started by hawgwash, May 21, 2019, 05:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgwash

Well guys I just initiated my new rig tonight. I got some new line (Sunline Fluorocarbon 20lb) and I also bought a pack of those Googan Bandito Bugs that I kept seeing the youtube guys using. I put one on a 3/8oz jig with a black/blue skirt and went out to see how the new line casted. I went down by the bridge in town where there was enough light and started casting the jig. I did not expect to catch anything, but then just as I was bringing it out of the water there was this humongous splash. My heart about stopped so I casted out again, this time jigging it near the surface and WHAM!!

I caught this mondo pike in the photo. I didn't have a scale or tape measure with me, but my net is 20" wide.

He put up on heck of a fight and I wasn't sure how I was going to get him in because I didn't bring any of my gear. It was still in the truck which was just behind me up on the road. Finally I pulled the line to get him up and possibly grab him and the line snapped and he plopped in the water between two rocks and just sat there. I quick went to the truck and got my net and came back and netted him.

I swear I have to get a GoPro....

Capt. BassinLou

That's one way to break in a new outfit. Nice Pike, welcome to UB!!

Stren_g

Nice catch! Those pike are ornery critters! There's a lake I fish that's home to a few, and they have a pile of my spinnerbaits as trophies.  lo

Mike Cork

That's a nice one ~c~ ~c~ with their teeth they cut line pretty easy. Great that you were able to still catch him for a photo op ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Nice job, a pike that size will test your bass equipment. The only "line" I've seen that they can't bite through is stainless leaders, it's as much luck as anything else getting them to bank or boat.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.