Old Skool

Started by Lee Smith, May 21, 2019, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Smith

Saturday while fishing a little I watched a guy catch 5 bass close to me, I was flipping new grass and brush and he was making short cast to the same. So when he got a little closer I was trying to figure out what he was chunking at them, had to ask... He said he had got a 'card' of H&H's for Christmas from a buddy, decided to try them and they have been wearing out the bass.

I'm telling you, it has been years on years since I even heard of H&H spinner baits, he give me a couple and he was right, you could pitch a patch and not get a bump, go back with the H&H and they would go nuts.  He also told me he tried a willow leaf and a Colorado blade spinnerbugs and didn't get a hit. 

So, now I have my 'own card' of H&H's  ~roflmao

What old skool lures do you still use today that just aren't popular anymore, but catch like they used too?
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Bud Kennedy

Well hells bells, the good news is that you were out fishing.   ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Lee Smith

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on May 21, 2019, 08:48:16 AM
Well hells bells, the good news is that you were out fishing.   ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

It's a start brother!  Slow start.......but a start!!  ;D

Mike Cork

The H and H is one of my favorite tricks when they get fickle. I love the black and yellow one for the water color over here.

Another old skool that I broke out this year, with the popularity of the new prop style baits, is the Devil's Horse. It doesn't quit make the noise of a whopper plopper, but it has definitely attracted the shad spawn bass.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

Oh yeah I throw the H&H its a modified one 99% of the time but they have caught fish for me my entire life. I like the better bearing mainly but have tried other skirt material and blades.  ;)

Funny Mike mentioned Black and Yellow. Ive mentioned those colors before as well. The Black and Yellow H&H was the only hard lure the little county store ever carried when I was a little kid out in the sticks. My Zebco and that lure caught many a bass.

This leads me to my only other artificial lure the store had and that was the Mann's Jelly worm. They always had the small cardboard pack, I think 6 worms a pack? I think they were like a 6" worm I don't throw that size but I do throw that exact same worm in the larger 8" and a darker Black Grape in 9" size. And Always have me some in the 12" of several colors. It was always Grape colored back in the early days though. This is a old skool lure I still use today that just aren't popular anymore, but catch like they used too.  ;D

Oldfart9999

The old, Mr. Twister 4 inch grub, I'm out of their Hawg Frog, liked to throw that on top of grass and drag it to an opening, used a snap swivel for weight(just right) and let the tails flutter down into the hole. Norman Deep Little N and Middle N, the Middle N shallow, could bring it through lumber pretty well.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bowhunter63

Good old culprit worms, Been around a long time.
Chasin bass and huntin bucks,life is good

SteveTX

Quote from: bowhunter63 on May 22, 2019, 07:44:00 PM
Good old culprit worms, Been around a long time.
I use them as well. For some reason I dont see them as "old" I guess since Culprit updated their packages. Mann's 20 pk packaging still reminds me of the old packaging.

Wizard

Some lures I've used since I was young. Original River Runt, wood Big "O", 1960's Lazy Ike, Leaping Lizard and Bomber. I troll the Ike, Lizard and Bomber.

Wizard

Lee Smith

Quote from: Wizard on May 23, 2019, 11:25:58 AM
Some lures I've used since I was young. Original River Runt, wood Big "O", 1960's Lazy Ike, Leaping Lizard and Bomber. I troll the Ike, Lizard and Bomber.

Wizard

I got a bunch of bombers I still use when I'm around something I can throw them at!

DonM

DonM

Smallie_Stalker

Hula Poppers, Jitterbug (I like the jointed ones best) Heddon Torpedoes (all sizes)

The other thing I like that you don't hear a lot about these days is the original floating Rapala minnow. It's still a killer and lots of ways you can fish it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Ice Cold Peanuts

Is the H & H like a beetle spin?
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?

Lee Smith

DonM

I have to tell this. . .
About 30 or 40 years ago I went fishing with a friend.  Before we went he told me that he has been catching them on yellow H&Hs.  I bought several.
We got there and sure enough the fish were biting.  He caught one; I missed one.
He caught another one, I had one explode but lost it.  It happened twice more before he asked to look at my bait.  He laughed and told me I forgot something.  I asked what and he said "you didn't put the hook on."
I had no idea they came with the hook not attached.  I was in such a hurry to fish I hardly looked at the bait as I tied it on. 
I'm sure glad they didn't have Facebook back then.  :)
I haven't bought any lately.  Do they still come without the hooks attached?
DonM

SteveTX

Quote from: DonM on May 23, 2019, 09:14:04 PM
I have to tell this. . .
About 30 or 40 years ago I went fishing with a friend.  Before we went he told me that he has been catching them on yellow H&Hs.  I bought several.
We got there and sure enough the fish were biting.  He caught one; I missed one.
He caught another one, I had one explode but lost it.  It happened twice more before he asked to look at my bait.  He laughed and told me I forgot something.  I asked what and he said "you didn't put the hook on."
I had no idea they came with the hook not attached.  I was in such a hurry to fish I hardly looked at the bait as I tied it on. 
I'm sure glad they didn't have Facebook back then.  :)
I haven't bought any lately.  Do they still come without the hooks attached?
That is funny Don.

Another thing people do is put the hook on up side down. It will hang up on everything if its on wrong. There are instructions in the package but I'm a typical male, who needs instructions right...  lo

And the last ones I bought last year you still had to add the hook.