Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need info for my Prop for my 70 hp Yamaha on a 17/56 G3 Gator Tough Jon Boat.  (Read 305 times)

Bayou

• UB Member
  • Bass Baby

Hey guys
I'm trying to figure out which stainless prop to get for my 70 hp Yamaha on a 17/56 SC G3 Gator Tough Jon Boat. Currently it has a Aluminum 13.5D x12"P on it. All I can get out of it is 27mph via of my phone app. I do not have a Tach on it so I do not know what my rpm's I am running. I just know that from 3/4 throttle to full throttle, the is no difference in speed. My boat weighs in at around 1500lbs fully loaded. That includes motor, boat, fuel and misc. fishing equipment and persons.
I've checked out I.Boat props and they point to a 13.25 x 15-18" 4 blade prop. The dealers says that the 12" pitch prop is what Yamaha recommends. I think he is full of bull. No where's can I find that info. I've called around and most other dealers say I should be running a 13"-15" 3 blade prop, but can go to a 4 blade prop for better hole shot and it will also allow me to go to more pitch. I plan on installing a Tach soon, so that I can get a truer reading of what I need to do... I just thought some of you guys and gals might have a setup similar to my boat...

Thanks in advance
Bayou 
Bayou'

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass

The reason you aren't getting any increase in speed between three quarter and full throttle is prop flex. The aluminum prop simply flattens out.

It's always wise to go down a bit when switching to a stainless prop. Flex is also the reason. When taking off, the aluminum prop will flex and allow your RPM's to climb and allow you to get out of the hole. Switching to a stainless prop, you no longer have this flex and it will hamper your RPM's that allow you to get out of the hole. I've seen boats that stayed with the same pitch that simple couldn't get on pad, the motor couldn't turn enough RPM's with the stainless prop.

A lot of shops have test props? But I would think they would have offered if yours did.

You're running 13.5 IBoats says 13.25... Might try there but I would not be surprised if you had to go all the way to a 12.5 to get max planning time and speed.

Food for thought, I had a 90 horse on a nitro that I got my best performance and speed from a 15 pitch three blade. We're talking a completely different rig and weights though.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bayou

• UB Member
  • Bass Baby

Yeah, the prop shop said that I need to be somewhere around a 13-1/4 x 14-15" pitch...

I've got a buddy who runs a 12 x 22 4 blade pro on his 17' tracker with a 60 Merc. It has a great hole shot and tops out around 38 mph... It handles really well.

But, I think I need to get a Tach on it first. Then I know what my motor is doing... Just have to find the sending wire for the Tach coming from the motor. Then set and fine tune the Tach...

Thanks for you help.
Bayou'

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass

A tach will eliminate the guessing and help you keep it running in the proper RPM's to ensure long life. Your mechanic should be able to show you the sending wire? Might be able to you tube it as well.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • The most underestimated bass fisherman on UB - zip

Let me be clear I'm no prop guy. I did mess one up and had to do the prop hunting because I was told the exact prop I had was no longer available. (It was available I found out later). Anyway my point is do your research good and double check it.

I spent over $400 and lost 8 mph and about 700 rpm. I am still  ~xyz  ~rant about it. But I couldn't return it at the point that I had tried moving the motor up and all the other ideas. 42 is way slow when you use to do 50mph. Still can fish fine but irritating as  ^-^.

So yes double and triple check before throwing $ down. 
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 

Bayou

• UB Member
  • Bass Baby

Mike you are correct. I was a little surprised that the sending wire wasn't just hanging there like everything I read. I'm afraid the Mech just wants to make money... lol The you-tube is what I will be doing... Plus a buddy of mine has a Yamaha 60hp with a Tach. So, I'll compare...

Steve
Take your prop to a Prop shop... Have him change the pitch on it, maybe add cup to it? There's a lot that he can do with it to gain speed... I've had a few prop over the years tuned to my motor and boat. It fairly cheap on the Gulf Coast.
As far as my boat, I was hoping that someone had the set-up like mine so I could get close before having to have it tuned... I myself do like the need for speed when it comes to my boats. I have 3 of them... My little Jon boat runs about 22mph with a 9.8 hp, my duck boat pushes about 36 mph with a 40 hp (I have not tuned the prop on it) Since I'm selling it and this boat does 27 mph with my 70 hp... I
d saying something is not right... lol

But, I'll get it right... First step is the Tach...

Thanks again...
Bayou'

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass

Going from 3 to 4 blade you go down in pitch. Not up. Otherwise you’ll lose to much RPM’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 24 queries.