Nice day in N.E. Texas

Started by SteveTX, May 23, 2019, 09:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

Was having a really nice day today. No work mostly cloudy this morning in the 70s and 12 to 15mph winds.

I fixed the stupid trolling motor yesterday. Still not positive exactly what caused it but I had a battery go bad I guessing right when I put my new trolling motor on a month or so ago. Anyway all was fine till about last weekend when my TM was running like I had a 9V batter on it. I figured out the new battery was bad so I got it replaced yesterday. Hoping its just the battery not my onboard charger not working right.  :-\

Anyway I didn't get to go fish yesterday I had to take my daughter to Dallas to catch a plane. So last night I looked at everything weather, tackle, rods, etc. Had me a little plan I thought.

Started off on a bad note I slept in this morning.  :( Something I don't usually do when fishing is involved but I did feel kind a different yesterday. Not sure if it had anything to do with it but I blame it. So I get to the lake at its like 9:30. Only one other boat on the water and he is leaving. Something about his wife broke her fishing rod, guess they only had 2.

I head off to my spot I am going to start at and start tossing my jig. Hmm a good while later I am still tossing my jig and getting zero bites. Admittedly I am not throwing something your little joker bass will generally go after. Its a 1oz Oldham Trailer Hitch jig. This jig I call a wrecking ball (see pic). I have a 4-1/4" Zoom Z-Craw in Black Light hanging off the back of it. A fairly large package. The reaction bite was good the other day and you need some weight to get down in some of these places hence the 1oz size.

I try a few other options and I have observed very little action in the water. I do have bird activity but I'm missing bait fish. So I pull up and head off to find a little more manageable conditions as the wind is a little much.

I find me some areas I still have wind and birds but I see a small amount of activity on the water. I have some sun breaking through every now and then but I figure wind and some clouds lets try a spinnerbait. Hmm I try that with no results.

I have seen some small blow ups by small bass and I see some bait fish here and there. So I pull out one of my go to rods Dobyns Savvy 735 I use this for toads a lot. I have a Junebug colored Zoom Horney Toad already ready to go. I throw it as far as I can. I am already convinced its a slow bite if at all. So I am not working it on top so much. I might a little here and there but mainly just near the surface. Making sure to pause when I come near to a clump of pads. Id say 5 or so casts later I got destroyed on a pause. That was this 21" spawned out mom.

A few small fish later and after trying a white toad only to figure out they want dark meat I again get a viscous hit. It was this nice 21" butterball. I'm thinking it was a large healthy male or a female that is yet to spawn. He or she had a belly on her.
Well that was my day I got hot and hungry and intended to go back this evening with my friend Jeff but work kept him late and I was tired. Over all a great IBASS day for me and pretty nice to be on the water.  :)

DonM

The water has got to be really high.  We're not far away and a lot of the launches are still unusable. Glad you caught some!
DonM

Donald Garner

Steve Tks for sharing the trip with us.  Congrats on the catching and sharing the pictures with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Stren_g

Nice catch Steve! That's a good lookin jig too!