Do All Rod?

Started by camelcluch, May 24, 2019, 02:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camelcluch

I am looking for a few new rods.  I mostly shore fish and will only take one or two rods with me.  I posted in the Megabass Levante thread but trying not to hijack that.  What are your opinions on a rod for a little of everything.  I'd like to keep it under $250.  So far I have looked at the Megabass Levante, Dobyns Champion XP, Loomis E6 and Daiwa TATULA.  One casting and one spinning. I fish light and hardly ever go over 1/4oz.  Thanks!

coldfront

popeils pocket fisherman?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: camelcluch on May 24, 2019, 02:34:45 PM
I am looking for a few new rods.  I mostly shore fish and will only take one or two rods with me.  I posted in the Megabass Levante thread but trying not to hijack that.  What are your opinions on a rod for a little of everything.  I'd like to keep it under $250.  So far I have looked at the Megabass Levante, Dobyns Champion XP, Loomis E6 and Daiwa TATULA.  One casting and one spinning. I fish light and hardly ever go over 1/4oz.  Thanks!

Just for clarification, your rod budget is $250 per rod or total?

Assuming you mean one rod, I can help you turn that into 2 rods with that budget since you're mostly bank fishing. The 2 best well rounded b/c  rods imho that can cover a whole spectrum of techniques and baits would be the Dobyns Fury 734-735 if you need something shorter... 704 and 705. These  rods fall under your $250 budget. For a spinning rod, I will let someone else chime in, since I don't own any Dobyn's spinning rods. Good luck and let us know what rod(s) you bought.  ~beer~

LgMouthGambler

If you go Dobyns, a 4 power is a great all around rod. I love my 684 and 704 rods for anything.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

All around rod in a Dobyns is a 4 power imho.

I have a Fury FR 703SF. Its stated techniques are Jigs, Senkos, Shaky Heads, Texas Rigs I personally think its a decent rod. Based on how this rod feels it works well with needle point light wire hooks. If you fish light wire hooks and mostly open water this rod would be a great spinning rod. I use mine for only one purpose. Its a follow up worm rod with a really light wire VMC Worm Hook. These are really sharp hooks and work well with the rod.   

If you go with something like the spinning rod I mentioned I would make my casting rod a 5 power. Dobyns rods have a excellent tip and cast smaller lighter stuff quite well. I throw weightless toads a lot with mine with no problem. It gives you a wider range covering Frogs, Pitchin' jigs and T rigged plastics and even throw some small swimbaits.

zippyduck

A Dobyns 4 power is my choice but I will narrow that down one notch.

The Sierra 734c is by far the best all around rod I have used.
The tip has just enough to use it with cranks, makes an excellent spinnerbait rod. It handles Jigs up to 1/2 oz with a trailer really well. I also skip senkos, hula grubs, and jigs with it. It will handle frogs and toads in sparser cover.

Why a 734?  The extra length will give you a little more tip action and also help with hooksets.

Why the Sierra? The Sierra series has a slightly slower tip than the Champion series. But is still very light and very sensitive.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 24, 2019, 03:50:13 PM
If you go Dobyns, a 4 power is a great all around rod. I love my 684 and 704 rods for anything.

X2
Of the rods you're looking at, Dobyns is the only brand I'm familiar with and my Dobyns 4 powers are great multi purpose rods. Most of my Dobyns rods are Savvy micro guide series which was replaced by the Sierra.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

camelcluch

Thanks for all the info.  I am looking for two rods. One casting and one spinning.  $250 each will be the budget.  Yes I am a shore fisherman but have tournament experience and do extremely well from shore.  I haven't bought rods in a while due to kids.  I'll take a look at the fury series for sure.  I'll let you all know what I come up with.  Oh, also looking at ALX...

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: camelcluch on May 24, 2019, 06:56:40 PM
Thanks for all the info.  I am looking for two rods. One casting and one spinning.  $250 each will be the budget.  Yes I am a shore fisherman but have tournament experience and do extremely well from shore.  I haven't bought rods in a while due to kids.  I'll take a look at the fury series for sure.  I'll let you all know what I come up with.  Oh, also looking at ALX...
You have a healthy budget to work with. You will find several great rods with that budget. The Champion series will fit the bill if you're set on that budget. Great series of rods. Happy rod hunting. :)

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: camelcluch on May 24, 2019, 06:56:40 PM

Like my ALX rods so far, but have to admit they have seen very little use (or any rod lately).  If I were you I would check out Tackletour's reviews of the new Villain 2.0 spinning and casting rods.  (Look in the REVIEW ARCHIVE.)  The spinning rod...which is the exact one I would be looking at in your case...got an Editor's Choice Award.  The casting rod they tested was a 7' MH and got a Best Value Award.  My only concern with such a rod is that you seldom fish over 1/4 oz.  Any Abu rod I have tried so far fishes a bit heavy.  However, TT said the spinning rod handled a drop shot with 1/16 oz. weight extremely well.  TT also mentioned the casting rod handled its lure range extremely well...1/4-1 oz.  I have to assume the new Villain 2.0 rods don't fish heavy like most of their siblings.  In a couple posts I have read on the Villain, the poster mentioned he felt the new Villain is the best $200 rod you can buy.  Sensitive beyond its price point.  TT agreed.

Another spinning rod you might want to look at is ARK Rods's Invoker IVK610MLXS.  It also received a Best Value Award from TT.  However, its sweet spot was between 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz.  Obviously it will cast lighter, but I don't know how well.

I've no experience with the Villain or Invoker, but both are rods I would love to own based on their reviews.

Dobyns rods are known to fish a bit light and therefore a MH Dobyns casting rod may work well for you.  My only experience with Dobyns is a 704CB Glass and I really like the rod.  Phenix Feather is said to fish light.  A MH Feather casting rod might be another possible choice.  Alternatively you could look at a Medium power rod from companies that are known to fish a bit heavy.  Maybe something like the 7' MF Avid.

Personally I try not to fish a rod at either end of its lure range.  I prefer to use a different power rod where the lure weight falls somewhere in the middle.  In you case with 1/4 oz. being your upper limit, you may not have that option since you want to go with just one or two rods.

camelcluch

Thanks for the the reply.  Lot of good info.  I'll check those rods out. 

zippyduck

I have several Villain 2.0  rods. My Mh 7' is a light weight broomstick. For the same price a Dobyns Sierra is a far better bargain by leaps and bounds.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: zippyduck on May 25, 2019, 06:07:28 PM
I have several Villain 2.0  rods. My Mh 7' is a light weight broomstick. For the same price a Dobyns Sierra is a far better bargain by leaps and bounds.

That is disappointing to hear.  Especially since the TT reviewer said it handled 1/4-1 oz. just fine although it felt a bit more powerful than a "typical" MH.  I have a Gen 1 Villain 7'6" MHF casting rod.  It is the only rod purchase that I totally regretted.  Rated 3/8-1 1/4 oz. and barely casts a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait a decent fishing distance.  Yet I had to lob a 1-1/2 oz. jig as the rod felt too overloaded.

camelcluch

Went with a Megabass Levante shakeyhead rod and Shimano ultegra reel.  Still looking for a casting set up...

loomisguy

Let me know how you like it.. I think I'm going to order a whipsnake.

Sandman7925

Falcon Cara Mceland medium heavy fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loomisguy

Quote from: Sandman7925 on May 27, 2019, 09:38:47 AM
Falcon Cara Mceland medium heavy fast.

Are you talking about the swimjig rod ?

camelcluch

I'll let you know.  It should arrive just in time for one of the ponds to hit the spawn.  I saw some 4 to 6# bass cruising yesterday. 

Sandman7925

Quote from: loomisguy on May 27, 2019, 09:51:01 AM
Are you talking about the swimjig rod ?

This one. Amazon had a mess up and sent me one pro bono. I say it was a loyal customer gift. I love this rod.

SteveTX

Quote from: Sandman7925 on May 27, 2019, 10:33:38 AM
This one. Amazon had a mess up and sent me one pro bono. I say it was a loyal customer gift. I love this rod.

Man I wish I got loyal customer gifts like that.  lo  Nice score.

loomisguy

I saw someone mentioned the Ark Invoker. I only have 1, the 7ft3 mag MH but they are a nice rod. I would consider it for sure.

camelcluch

The Levante has proven to be a great rod.  The sensitivity is great and the rod feels light in the hand.  I went with the shakey head and it has a ton of power underneath a fast tip.  I would like to see the whip snake for a little softer rod. 

loomisguy

The Levante continues to impress . In my hands it's GLX sensitive at less than half the price.
I have a Braillist on the way.